Thread: Tuning

Garrett booster

Tuning

Does anyone know If d cal has data logging? What other programs do people use to tune our stock computers?

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Tuning

no data logging with D cal.

use chem2! i think thats what it is....lol. sorry. bad time to answer posts!

and u need a transfer cable to a laptop from the Rx Tx signals???
    but yeah 2 lines that tap into where the DRB would go.....just need that cable...which i was about to search for right now, ill link u to the thread once i find it

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=42191

heres the thread. post # 38 will tell u which cable to get. u need the 5v one

logworks from risen! not chem2 lol

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by me235 View Post
    Does anyone know If d cal has data logging? What other programs do people use to tune our stock computers?
    mp tunner

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

To tune and make changes to the cal you need mp tuner , dcal or chem2 with a chip burner or ostrich. To datalog you need a dlp txrx converter and either logworks and the plugin or winlog (for logic modules only) or mptuner. I highly recommend mptuner , it's a very well written and supported piece software.

Garrett booster

Where do I get mptuner?

Garrett booster

And from my research dlp txrx converter is only for megasquirt? Or is there a form that can be used on our computers?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor CNH320's Avatar
    -Chris H
    1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #91 E85 Powered
    2012 Dodge Charger SRT8

Shelby Dodge Auto Club National Member

SDAC Great Lakes Chapter & SDAC Ontario Chapter Member

Garrett booster

Where can I get a dlp txrx converter for the stock computer? I'm only seeing for megasquirt

Where can I get a dlp txrx converter for the stock computer? I'm only seeing for megasquirt
    The adapter is the same. You can check the knowledge center article about usb comnectivity for a link to buy one from mouser.

Garrett booster

Ok so if I buy one of those, install it in my computer, I will have data logging with mptuner?

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=42191

heres the thread. post # 38 will tell u which cable to get. u need the 5v one

logworks from risen! not chem2 lol
    Will this only work with an '87 and earlier (per the instructions in the knowledge base) or will it work with an '89 SMEC?

I've been interested in datalogging for a while but I haven't found instructions yet on how to do it with my setup.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Actually, MP Tuner doesn't datalog. MP Scan is by the same author (wowzer) and it is his datalogging ap...

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...&daysprune=365
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by cout View Post
    Will this only work with an '87 and earlier (per the instructions in the knowledge base) or will it work with an '89 SMEC?

I've been interested in datalogging for a while but I haven't found instructions yet on how to do it with my setup.
    The only way to do it with s/w I've written is the logworks plugin with the stim .dll. You can still use mptuner/mpscan, though. I'm currently rewriting the plugin and making it more modular to support people who want to include datalog ability in the future software. I will be updating the winlog plugin afterwards, as long as I can get it to use the c++ classes I'm writing.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by risen View Post
    The only way to do it with s/w I've written is the logworks plugin with the stim .dll. You can still use mptuner/mpscan, though. I'm currently rewriting the plugin and making it more modular to support people who want to include datalog ability in the future software. I will be updating the winlog plugin afterwards, as long as I can get it to use the c++ classes I'm writing.
    Actually I'm interested in writing my own datalogger library using Ruby. (I'm a linux guy so the windows software won't work for me). I'd then like to build a frontend using opengl for a homebrew heads-up display (a "HUD" HUD, so to speak).

After I posted my question I found another thread suggesting that I buy the FTDI cable from digikey and connect it to the SCI interface. So I don't need to solder the LM, then; is that right?

Actually I'm interested in writing my own datalogger library using Ruby. (I'm a linux guy so the windows software won't work for me). I'd then like to build a frontend using opengl for a homebrew heads-up display (a "HUD" HUD, so to speak).
    Fear not, I'm writing the classes using as much standard c++ at a level that you won't have to worry about platform specific implementation details. I have a separate class that hides the platform specific serial port stuff and an implementation of that class on windows and Linux (or OS X/ FreeBSD). I currently have the class for a Moates Burn1/2 done and I've been burning chips from the command line in linux so that's working out well and the Ostrich class is coming along nicely. So, once I have the class for the ECU encapsulation done (which I'm working on in parallel with the other 2 items above), you'll be ready to roll on Linux, I'll make sure of it.

After I posted my question I found another thread suggesting that I buy the FTDI cable from digikey and connect it to the SCI interface. So I don't need to solder the LM, then; is that right?
    No, you don't need to solder to the LM. You can hook it directly to the SCI tx/rx lines and use it that way. Though, since the LM is in car, it may be beneficial to do it that way if you're not too afraid of screwing your LM. Also, you only need the tx/rx lines, not the power and ground, though I personally like to connect ground. That updated KB article is so long overdue, it's not even funny.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by risen View Post
    Fear not, I'm writing the classes using as much standard c++ at a level that you won't have to worry about platform specific implementation details. I have a separate class that hides the platform specific serial port stuff and an implementation of that class on windows and Linux (or OS X/ FreeBSD). I currently have the class for a Moates Burn1/2 done and I've been burning chips from the command line in linux so that's working out well and the Ostrich class is coming along nicely. So, once I have the class for the ECU encapsulation done (which I'm working on in parallel with the other 2 items above), you'll be ready to roll on Linux, I'll make sure of it.
    Excellent! I look forward to seeing it!

For the *nix I/O are you writing directly to the serial device or are you using libftdi? It wasn't obvious to me whether flipping bits would be sufficient to invert the signal, but with libftdi it's a matter of enabling "bitbang".

Is your code in a repo somewhere like github?

No, you don't need to solder to the LM. You can hook it directly to the SCI tx/rx lines and use it that way. Though, since the LM is in car, it may be beneficial to do it that way if you're not too afraid of screwing your LM. Also, you only need the tx/rx lines, not the power and ground, though I personally like to connect ground. That updated KB article is so long overdue, it's not even funny.
    Good, that's what I did, but I wasn't sure it was right. I'm getting a stream of 0x00 though so I'm not sure I'm communicating with the computer properly. (though I haven't tried plugging in since I switched to using libftdi)

My LM is in the engine compartment since I have a SMEC, right? It's trivial to lengthen the SCI connector to go through the firewall. (one thread suggested that there might be a problem with interference from the ignition coil, but if that were the case I would expect problems with more than just the serial interface)

Excellent! I look forward to seeing it!

For the *nix I/O are you writing directly to the serial device or are you using libftdi? It wasn't obvious to me whether flipping bits would be sufficient to invert the signal, but with libftdi it's a matter of enabling "bitbang".

Is your code in a repo somewhere like github?
    All the IO is done through the normal serial port seutp with file i/o. Since everything is already a standard rs232 protocol bit banging the output would be making things much harder than it needs to be. Inverting the signals is done in the hardware configuration for the FTDI device that's stored on the device itself. You don't need anything special other than the driver for the ftdi chip loaded, I've tested a few linux installs (my Debian workstation at work and a Ubuntu VM) and they both worked just fine with no configuration.

I don't have my code in any repository and I'm still up in the air about how I want to handle that.

Good, that's what I did, but I wasn't sure it was right. I'm getting a stream of 0x00 though so I'm not sure I'm communicating with the computer properly. (though I haven't tried plugging in since I switched to using libftdi)

My LM is in the engine compartment since I have a SMEC, right? It's trivial to lengthen the SCI connector to go through the firewall. (one thread suggested that there might be a problem with interference from the ignition coil, but if that were the case I would expect problems with more than just the serial interface)
    I thought that you had a logic module based car based upon your previous post. It'll be much easier for you to just use the SCI port.