Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: ATP Turbo Ultimate CHRYSLER swingvalve?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

ATP Turbo Ultimate CHRYSLER swingvalve?

Re: ATP Turbo Ultimate CHRYSLER swingvalve?

Wow...is the chrysler style exhaust housing even still in production?

Yeah, I was surprised they would make this too...they also have a new Mercedes version that looks similar. ATP has made custom turbine housings in the past; maybe they will pick it up if Turbonetics drops out.

turbo addict

LOL! I was looking at it and my g/f saw it and thought it was an engagement ring! Maybe I should buy one and propose

turbo addict

Well, I know what I am going to get soon lol.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

also could it be that the mercedes pattern is the same as the chrysler????

well this looks like it is lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...item1e5c6b5aee
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Ive been wanting something like this for so long!!! Now if one of the vendors came out with a matching DP... I wonder how hard it is going to be to build a downpipe that will clear the PS pump?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    Ive been wanting something like this for so long!!! Now if one of the vendors came out with a matching DP... I wonder how hard it is going to be to build a downpipe that will clear the PS pump?
    FWD has a downpipe, they designed it for people that have a t3 with a ford housing using a version of this same swingvalve, no reason it wouldnt work on an 8 valve.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=54625

I want to try the new ATP Cosworth turbine housing/swingvalve. It looks like a bolt-on replacement for TIII but you would still have to use the stock TIII O2 housing elbow/donut. I have no idea if this would actually work but would love to try it. I've been thinking of ordering a 50trim/stg II optioned with it for one of my cars.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...Category_Code=

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Just buy one of these and any half assed exhaust shop can weld it to your existing exhaust. Instant 3" downpipe. Thats exactly what I did on my R/T and it works great.

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    also could it be that the mercedes pattern is the same as the chrysler????

well this looks like it is lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...item1e5c6b5aee
    From the way its written, I think they describe the flange as Chrysler style, but they made the product for Mercedes guys, not us. They obviously don't care enough to even mention this product overlap to our community.

For a TIII, if you want to change housings (turbo upgrade), this would make no sense. Just buy a normal t3 housing and use a normal ATP swingvalve.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo224 View Post
    Just buy one of these and any half assed exhaust shop can weld it to your existing exhaust. Instant 3" downpipe. Thats exactly what I did on my R/T and it works great.

That would move it to the passenger side a bunch, and has no flex in it. I could build a DP no problem, and will if I ever end up with one of these. What I was getting at is it would be a nice package with the ATP piece and a matching DP.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    From the way its written, I think they describe the flange as Chrysler style, but they made the product for Mercedes guys, not us. They obviously don't care enough to even mention this product overlap to our community.
    I think they made an error in the description because there is two new listings for the Ultimate Internal Swingvalve in their online catalog. The pictures for the Chrysler and Mercedes styles do show they are in fact different bolt patterns.

Mercedes:
    http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=WGT

Chrysler:
    http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=WGT

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post

Too little, too damn late.

Honestly if you think about it, you are right. If I were building another 8v I wouldn't think twice about getting the TurbosUnleashed 3" swingvalve. While it's nice that ATP might be opening up to the Chrysler stuff, the fact that a stock-type no fab required downpipe is easily available and clears everything perfectly is enough to steer me towards what is already available.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

I've never understood why they bias the W/G so much compared to the turbine wheel. IMO the v-band hole should be about 3/4-1" lower.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I've never understood why they bias the W/G so much compared to the turbine wheel. IMO the v-band hole should be about 3/4-1" lower.
    Doesn't look terrible to me. The wastgate hole will move a LOT more exhaust per size then the turbine wheel. Higher velocity gases from the wastegate slamming into the lower velocity turbine gases will probably cause more turbulence and more backpressure.

I can't understand why they made this product though. Maybe because they found it was easy for them to do after already making others.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=MDP

Pretty sure this will work but Tyler already stated that he was able to USE the other downpipe. People cry so much about fitting things around there so Warren built a ridiculous long pipe 4-2-1 header and it still fit.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 12-19-2010 at 01:11 AM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Doesn't look terrible to me. The wastgate hole will move a LOT more exhaust per size then the turbine wheel. Higher velocity gases from the wastegate slamming into the lower velocity turbine gases will probably cause more turbulence and more backpressure.
    Gotta disagree with you on this one. Anything that disrupts the helical flow of the turbine is what makes things more turbulent causing greater backpreasure.

But ya, I never said terrible, just not how I would have designed it.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

Rob I agree, but IMO, it still is a nice design. Light years ahead of factory swingvalve designs. IMO, moving V-band hole lower would make that lower bolt hole accessible (at least from the outside of the swingvalve). I would think it would need to be lower than 1" to make that bolt hole functional on the inboard side.
    It is pretty strange why they would come out with this now. Did they just figure out there is a market for old school turbo Dodges twenty five+ years after they came out?
    Todd

turbo addict

Gotta disagree with you on this one. Anything that disrupts the helical flow of the turbine is what makes things more turbulent causing greater backpreasure.

But ya, I never said terrible, just not how I would have designed it.
    So if you can explain how slamming the wastegate gases right into that same flow is better then inducing a slight bend, I could agree.
    Turbulence is a bad thing in the swingvalve area. Much worse then being forced to take a turn. The facts will be read out all day on the dyno. Turbulence will effectively shrink the size of the swingvalve, creating more backpressure, and losing power.
    It is leaps and bounds better then any Chrysler style swingvalve, so much better that its comical to even argue about their design.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast