Thread: SMEC L body harness questions.

turbo addict

SMEC L body harness questions.

Using a 88 J body SMEC harness and repinning it to a 40 pin L-body. There are several wires that are labeled ignition on the 50 pin smec pinout that don't have a corresponding wire on the L body pinout. I see several threads about the same issue but nobody ever posts what they ended up figuring out.

For reference the wires in question are pin 7 DB with tracer on the 50 pin and pin 50 BK/OR. Also pin 49 BK even though it might be the same as the Lbody pin 8 based on wire color.

turbo addict

Re: SMEC L body harness questions.

23 views and nobody knows?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Well Omni/Horizons are a lot simpler, especially as far as option content so there are some circuits including a couple power feeds that may not be needed at all and you could just terminate them at the bulkhead plug. I will get out some of my diagrams after work tonight and see what the circuits you mentioned are for specifically.

OK, the closest wiring diagrams I have that give me 50-pin bulkhead pinout info are for 1988 Chrysler Lebaron GTS/Dodge Lancer. According to this

Pin #50 = BLK/ORG. Power feed for fuse panel slot #12 which provides power for the power window system. You can probably eliminate this for an L-body.

Pin #49 = BLK. Power feed for fuse panel slot #20 which provides power for the radio. You should be able to find equivalent within the 40-pin L-body bulkhead disconnect to match to. Looking at my 1986 Omni/Horizon diagrams, the same power feed is also BLK and is located in pin #35 in the 40-pin bulkhead.

Pin #7 = DK BLU/RED = Cruise control servo. Probably won't need it on an L-body either.

Oh and pin #8 in the L-body 40-pin bulkhead should be VIO/BLK and is for the back-up light switch.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Oh and pin #8 in the L-body 40-pin bulkhead should be VIO/BLK and is for the back-up light switch.
    Yeah I meant pin 6 which is the other BK wire.

turbo addict

Ok so I have an 88 harness but I'm using a 89 wiring FSM but 99% of it is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Pin #50 = BLK/ORG. Power feed for fuse panel slot #12 which provides power for the power window system. You can probably eliminate this for an L-body.

It shows that circuit coming from the ignition switch and it receives power both run and start and goes to a wire on the starter harness plug, the a/c heater blower motor and the power window system through fuses 2,3, & 4.

Pin #49 = BLK. Power feed for fuse panel slot #20 which provides power for the radio. You should be able to find equivalent within the 40-pin L-body bulkhead disconnect to match to. Looking at my 1986 Omni/Horizon diagrams, the same power feed is also BLK and is located in pin #35 in the 40-pin bulkhead.

That circuit shows as a run position only from the ignition switch that runs the radio, turn flasher, and intermittent wipers through fuses 9,10, & 11

Pin #7 = DK BLU/RED = Cruise control servo. Probably won't need it on an L-body either.

Same thing I saw.