Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dodge 4.7 V8, known for dropping seats?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Dodge 4.7 V8, known for dropping seats?

Quote Originally Posted by neongary View Post
    Makes me nervous now to read about some issues with the 4.7. My '01 Dakota has 102,000 miles and it's still has about 95% original parts on it. The engine has never been touched. Am I on borrowed time? I've used Mobil 1 since it was brand new and change the oil every 5K miles or 6 months, whatever comes first.
    You'll be fine, but my machinist did dig up some info that they do drop seats, which isn't a big deal as you take the heads off and have them redone,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by boost geek View Post
    From what I've heard, if you don't overheat your 4.7 and change your oil regularly, your engine can last a LONG time.
    I'll just keep doing what I'm doing! It has the h.d. cooling, so it has never even come close to running hot, even on 100 degree days. I change the coolant every other year too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cecil County 1.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	355.7 KB 
ID:	27491  

Hybrid booster

My 03 dakota with the 4.7L has had no issues thus far. I just hit 130,000 with it. Still on the original clutch as well.

Garrett booster

Go to Jeeps Unlimited board, some have 250K on em and no issues.

Change the oil and keep the cooling system up to snuff. Good idea to change the PCV valve once in a while to.

I have a 02 WJ and no issues so far, but only have 57 K on it.

Main issues seem to be broken exhaust studs on driver side nearest firewall, some have wear on chain guides, and bad heater cores and blend doors on the limiteds.

Its getting all the seats replaced, new thermostat, pcv valve. No broken exhaust manifold bolts.

NOW, I would like to find the f*cking ahole engineer that invented the power steering driven coolant fan and kick him so hard his nuts will come out of his head? I mean seriously, what a complete and utter twat. WHY do you need it? I almost feel like throwing it away not to mention the fact you have to remove the front end to remove the rad? Again, WTF?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

Well

all the 99-2001 had tons of cooling issues with the electric fan, never had a hiccup on the hydraulic fan on mine but I freshen the fluid every year.

I take it, that it isnt too fun to remove? I also recall there is a TSB for a new hose, they leak at the fitting onto the PS pump

Quote Originally Posted by Turbozcs2003 View Post
    Well

all the 99-2001 had tons of cooling issues with the electric fan, never had a hiccup on the hydraulic fan on mine but I freshen the fluid every year.

I take it, that it isnt too fun to remove? I also recall there is a TSB for a new hose, they leak at the fitting onto the PS pump
    Forgot to mention, changing the chains and guides, the guides had some heavy wear.

Yep, total PITA to remove, and I honestly don't see the need for it, electric fan's have worked perfectly fine for millions of vehicles.

Yeah, changing the hose from the pump to fan motor, leaking at the crimp.

Hybrid booster

Interesting info about the fan. Like I mentioned before, mine is a '01 and has 102,XXX miles and the fan still works like day 1. It does have both the electric and engine driven fans. I suppose they are all this way? Figured that if the electric fan ever quit, the engine drive fan looks more than adequate to keep the engine cool. Can't say that I've ever seen a hydraulic driven fan on a Dakota. The only thing "extra" on my p.s. is a cooler.

Garrett booster

Some 1990's Lexus's had hydraulic cooling fans, those are always a mess. PITA to bleed air out of and they always clog up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12