Thread: Winter tires for mini van

turbo addict

Winter tires for mini van

I decided to go through tire rack and order tires based on the fact they are still cheaper than any of the local tire stores even after shipping. There aren't nearly as many choices for ice/snow so that helps narrow it down. Anyone out there have some experience with anything besides the Bridgestone Blizzak?

Here is the one I've seen more commonly:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Here is the tire I am seriously considering based on cost and the best warranty available. Road hazzard is included in the manufacturer's warranty.. and they offer a 30 day trial! That is what I call buying with confidence.

I don't think I can go wrong with either tire and even when new I doubt my Uniroyals had anywhere near the traction these should offer. Any advice would be great as I've NEVER bought tires specifically for winter and with added responsibilities at work I really can't afford to get stuck.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Winter tires for mini van

I am using Goodyear Nordic's? sic, bought 3 good used ones for $125,

Can't complain, they worked very well in our last snow storm but then I had some older versions from years ago and they worked just as well. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any form of true winter tire.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

These work very well for the price. I had an earlier version on my Caprice and drove it everywhere in the winter.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

I agree with Simon, any winter specific tire is going to be way better than a all season. I've personally used the Firestone Winterforce on my spirit with great results, I've had friends with the blizzaks and they were great also just more expensive. I had the kelly brand on my wife's Grand Am and only got that stuck once when we got 16 inches of snow and it physically bottomed the car out in the snow and lifted it off the road.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Just bought the Firestone Winterforces for my Magnum last weekend, they look pretty aggressive and should work out well. I've heard good things about them and their cheap
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

I have the Firestone Winterforce on my Laser, and I haven't gotten stuck yet.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

turbo addict

Winterforce FTW.

Hybrid booster

Yeh any cheap winter tire will work better than all season, so I just picked one of the cheaper ones as well - Dunlop Graspic. Running them on my wife's minivan and the Lancer Shelby. They work fine. The Subaru has Dunlop M3's which are a more performance winter.

boostaholic

Deffinately Winterforces FTW.I used them through the blizzard last year and didnt have much traction trouble until I got into boost on my old Mini.Im currently using studded on my Neon though.I just orded a set of Nitto SN1 snow tires for my wife's car.They look very promising.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    I decided to go through tire rack and order tires based on the fact they are still cheaper than any of the local tire stores even after shipping. There aren't nearly as many choices for ice/snow so that helps narrow it down. Anyone out there have some experience with anything besides the Bridgestone Blizzak?
    Are there any Discount Tire stores out in the boonies by you? They typically will match proces (even Tire Rack) and unless you got acess to a tire machine, you'll still have to pay to install them somewhere anyways right? If you buy the tires from the place that installs them you got a better chance of quick turnaround if you have to replace a tire due to road hazzard, at least this has been my experience.

For the best deal on tires? Got a Sam's Club or CostCo by you? Maybe you or your neighbor has a membership? Best prices ahnds down.

For snow tires? Blizzacks and Graspics I've used both work well. Unless they dont plow at all by you (they plow very well here in the city/suburbs) a good all season works well too.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Winterforces are just as good a Blizzaks and way cheaper. I used to work at Firestone. Just be sure to take them off as soon as the snow stops coming down. They wear out fast on dry roads.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RattFink View Post
    Winterforces are just as good a Blizzaks and way cheaper. I used to work at Firestone. Just be sure to take them off as soon as the snow stops coming down. They wear out fast on dry roads.
    Good tip, this is true of ALL "winter tires" ... with no snow they may only last 5000 miles max

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

i have general altimax arctics on my neon. great price, great grip. i can floor it from a dead stop in snow with no appreciable wheel spin.

i got them from tires.com. free shipping!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...=ILRINT&cs=205

they dont have them in 215 width but they do have them in 205 which is fine. slightly narrower is sometimes better for snows.

brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    i have general altimax arctics on my neon. great price, great grip. i can floor it from a dead stop in snow with no appreciable wheel spin.

i got them from tires.com. free shipping!

Brian
    Key word, Neon. lol.
    Bryan

i didnt say it was a powerhouse. that said, with all seasons, i can blaze them at will in the snow.

Brian

turbo addict

I think I'm gonna go with the firestones. Also will check with Discount tire to see if they can get them. Right now it is 150 shipped with road hazzard for 2. That is all I can afford right now. We'll see how this works out. The generals at discount tire are 79 each. that does include road hazzard though for free according to the website. Also was gonna let the shop who does the alignment mount the tires. I need to do some swapping around anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    i didnt say it was a powerhouse. that said, with all seasons, i can blaze them at will in the snow.

Brian
    I know, I just had to get a dig in.
    Bryan