Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 1984 Plymouth Turismo 2.2

Garrett booster

My 1984 Plymouth Turismo 2.2 (NEW PICTURES/VIDEO)

Got this Turismo from my grandfather last year. He washed and waxed the car and put it under cover in the garage for almost 10 years. This is also after he rebuilt the carb.

Here is a video I have of the Turismo when I started it in October of '09. The last time I worked on it was December of '09 and I have decided to continue work on "El Turismo".

Tomorrow I will be cleaning out the engine bay and ridding it of mouse feces that I found this past week. Then I will begin ripping stuff out and cleaning to make sure everything is 100% ready to go.

Thanks for checking it out. And just so you know, I have NEVER worked on a car before so this will be fun.
    Last edited by austinlarg; 12-15-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Re: My 1984 Plymouth Turismo 2.2

As a fellow Turismo owner, I give it two thumbs up!

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo View Post
    As a fellow Turismo owner, I give it two thumbs up!
    Hey thanks buddy

Garrett booster

***Update***

So I cleaned out most of the rat feces with a heavy duty blower. Then I covered the alternator and distributor cap with plastic bags. After that I sprayed some simple green on some parts that needed cleaning and rinsed off the engine. Finally I broke out the blower again to help speed up the drying process.

Found something odd with my Holley carburetor. Here is a picture.

I dont know if this is right, but it only has 1 choke plate and it's already opened without the car even being started. Any ideas?

*Also, tried starting the car but it clicked once and did nothing else. I would only expect it to be a power problem. So tomorrow I'll check the battery cables and make sure everything is dry. I'll post all the other pictures tomorrow of the car.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Im digging the period wheels on that thing.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Check the battery terminals, make sure they are clean. You can get a terminal cleaner for like $3-4 at any auto parts store.

Looks good!
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    Check the battery terminals, make sure they are clean. You can get a terminal cleaner for like $3-4 at any auto parts store.

Looks good!
    Just the guy I was hoping would stop by. Yeah i'll look into that. But it's not corroded and no battery acid. I'm going to check the cables tomorrow.

Any idea on the carb picture?

I had one car that if it sat for a while I would always have to clean the terminals. It was a car that I would start and run every 3-6 mos. The terminals always looked fine.

The Holley that came off my Turismo had only one choke plate on it. The choke on the Holley is vacuum operated, so it would be open til it has vacuum going to it.

Garrett booster

I had one car that if it sat for a while I would always have to clean the terminals. It was a car that I would start and run every 3-6 mos. The terminals always looked fine.

The Holley that came off my Turismo had only one choke plate on it. The choke on the Holley is vacuum operated, so it would be open til it has vacuum going to it.
    Yeah I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

And the carb thing really made me think it was just put together wrong. I don't know much about them but I thought it was supposed to be closed.

Tomorrow I clean the terminals and try to fire her up again. If it goes well, then I'll take the radiator out to clean that and maybe replace some of the hoses that don't look good.

Thanks for the help Scott

Hybrid booster

hey, i live in the bay area too. let me know of you need any help

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Spycker View Post
    hey, i live in the bay area too. let me know of you need any help
    Man I been looking for someone with any kind of knowledge on these cars in the area. I'll shoot you a pm. Thanks for checking it out.

Garrett booster

Alright tried starting it up today and same thing. Just a single click. I expect that to be the starter solenoid, so that would lead me to believe that the starter motor isn't working properly.

But I examined the battery cables just to be sure and found a wire that doesn't look very good coming out of the positive cable. Here are some pictures. It's the orange wire.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm not even sure what the part is that this wire leads to. It seems to be plug into something right above where the original intake goes. Sorry my lack of knowledge doesn't help. But does anyone know what that part is?

Also, can I just strip the wire a little more and splice it together and wrap it in electrical tape?

Garrett booster

One more thing

In the second picture, you can see that the orange wire goes into a plastic block and on the other side is the black wire that goes straight to the battery terminal. There is a metal piece in the plastic block. Can I bypass all of that and just connect the black and orange wires?

No. Your best bet is to go to a junkyard and cut off another connector leaving enough wire to either solder it or crimp connect it to the original orange wire. An auto parts store may also have a new connector, it might be generic enough of a connector that you can find one new.

Hybrid booster

I believe that orange one might be your blinkers, do this bang the starter with a soft hammer a few times, then see if itll start. If it does then there you go. I did that with my charger when I first got it and it fired right up

Garrett booster

No. Your best bet is to go to a junkyard and cut off another connector leaving enough wire to either solder it or crimp connect it to the original orange wire. An auto parts store may also have a new connector, it might be generic enough of a connector that you can find one new.

Okay it's a good thing I decided to call it a day before doing it. Thanks Scott.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Spycker View Post
    I believe that orange one might be your blinkers, do this bang the starter with a soft hammer a few times, then see if itll start. If it does then there you go. I did that with my charger when I first got it and it fired right up
    Okay I was wondering what the orange wire was for. I thought maybe it was keeping it from starting. I'll try the starter thing later on. Thanks.

After you fix the wire issue, are you sure the battery isn't just dead and it needs a jump start?

Garrett booster

After you fix the wire issue, are you sure the battery isn't just dead and it needs a jump start?
    Yeah I just bought this battery on Monday. I'm going to try the starter and then the distributor cap and rotor just to be on the safe side. This car is giving me more problems than I expected. Oh well. It's a learning experience.

If you turn the key to the on position, does the oil light and ebrake light light up on the dash, or do you get nothing?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast