Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 86 Omni GLHT cheap as cheap build

turbo addict

Re: 86 Omni GLHT cheap as cheap build

Glad to see you got her up and going! Did you have a chance to see what happened with the other engine?

turbo addict

Holy ----. Ok I beat a 05+ gt 5 speed. On 10psi. 40-100. Yea yea I know I shouldn't be racing. But I had to beat his ---. Anyway so I decided i wanted to hear blow off valve. Well all of a sudden There was like 2psi of boost. The wastegate arm got caught on the coolant line for the turbo. So I took the vac line off the wastegate and holy ----. Does it ever move!! I haven't given it all it has. But I'll tell you it's a whole other car!! 15psi it likes. Spiked 20 and 3rd gear is useless!!! Ok so af is rich at full boost. And idle is way up. I don't think timing. Tune or o2 is my guess.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

I'm thinking something to do with the rings. K just put them in there without touching them. Bearings look fine.

turbo addict

Ok so woke up this morning to try and fix the rich problem. First thing I did was get v12 of turbonator and use mp tune to cal it. Well I flash a new chip, put it in and turn the key on and the fuel pump is going ape shyt turning on and off. I try this 5 times. So lucky I still have v8 of turbonator and I used dcal instead of mopar tune. Guess what it worked beautifully! Idle is decent and af is 16:1. No check engine light and it actually saved the cel! Still have to mess with wot tables. But mopartune seems not to be working out for me. I'm gonna keep it old school and run it that way. It's never failed me.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spr-T-23 View Post
    i love builds like this. i got my t1 shadow for 450, then blew it up. got my vert shadow for 400, bought a motor for 100 bucks tb to oil pan. 950 into 2 dodges that dont run....sounds about right...
    I certainly don't want to laugh and tell you both so.... because I truly like these cars soooo much. But when people cheap out on the MOST important parts of an engine, and wonder why they crap the bed soon afterwards, well.... lesson learned. You get what you paid for, right?

Taking a 22+ year old engine with 190,000 miles on it and re-using the original bearings combined with a different crank and rods that were never checked (roundness, size, taper, etc...) is almost always going to bite ya in the azz.
    Not raggin' on ya... just wanting to see some people do the right thing so they won't have major frsutration down the road (and blame the "It's a crappy Dodge thing")
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Hybrid booster

oh no i know exactly what i did, it was a plan that fell apart. the t1 car wasnt sopposed to die untill i got the other motor in the vert. i blew up the turbo car and the vert. was far from running so i had to dig my jeep out and have 2 non running shadows in my driveway, i have a sense of humor about it, its funny.

turbo addict

still running good. i have an oil pressure issue now. gonna check it out tonight or tomorrow.

turbo addict

just swapped out the original stock 86 fuel pump and btw that sock was nasty. just installed the 255 and at the same boost level it went from 10:9 a/f to 10:0 lol yea we be moving some fuel now!!
    stock pump just pulled out

the sock

255 installed

i didnt use this piece. didnt find it necessary

turned up the boost to 24psi and this thing SCREAMS!!! even at 10:7 af!!

turbo addict

so whats going on with the oil pressure? or are you not converned about it since your still out beatn the piss outta it? lol

turbo addict

Lol not really. I don't hear knocking lol. I'm gonna hook a gauge to it and see whats going on.

turbo addict

Replaced a front wheel bearing,cv axle and tie rod end today. Also I hooked up my power steering god I love it. I lost the o ring that went to the pressure line so I made my own. I got an injector o ring from an injector I had laying around and trimmed the edges all the way around it. No leaks!! I didn't think it would work but it's holding! Guys at the part store said that that type of o ring wouldn't hold up against that pressure? I'm like WTF? Apparently its holding. Changed the oil too after 1500 miles. Looked like crap. Threw some mobil clean 5000 non synthetic with a wix filter. That didn't solve my oil pressure issue I have under loads and highway. I think I'm just gonna have to pull the stupid pan and stick something in the bs hole. Sux.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

You tested the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge?

turbo addict

No. I think all is good. There are 2 sensors on the oil feed thing on front of the motor. I popped the hood last night to find the little one unplugged? I don't know what that one is.

turbo addict

I'll stop by the auto store on the way home from work and grab a cheap gauge

turbo addict

Welli attempted to install a mechanical oil pressure gauge that my wifes father gave
    Me. It's some old 80's gauge matches the car good. Brand new in the box. All went well and I forgot the fereal (sp?) nut on the gauge side of the plastic tubing. Oil in my car. Yey. So I took it out lol. It worked. But leaked oil. So tomorrow I have to go get another kit for it.

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

On a brighter note I have 2 glht cars in my garage I decided to give the blue car to a close friend of mine. I got the car for nothing so I gave it to him. Im just storing it at my house for now till we get it going.

turbo addict

that was nice of you. and youll love having someone to run around terrorizing the streets with!

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roachjuice View Post
    Changed the oil too after 1500 miles. Looked like crap. Threw some mobil clean 5000 non synthetic with a wix filter. That didn't solve my oil pressure issue I have under loads and highway. I think I'm just gonna have to pull the stupid pan and stick something in the bs hole. Sux.
    Did you block the balance shaft oil feed hole when you removed the balance shafts?

No. I think all is good. There are 2 sensors on the oil feed thing on front of the motor. I popped the hood last night to find the little one unplugged? I don't know what that one is.
    The little one is the idiot light in the dash. The big one is the gauge reading.

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfedmopar View Post
    that was nice of you. and youll love having someone to run around terrorizing the streets with!
    Yea only thing I was gonna do to it was turn around and sell it or auto x setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    Did you block the balance shaft oil feed hole when you removed the balance shafts?

The little one is the idiot light in the dash. The big one is the gauge reading.
    yea I jut did what Johnny at pb said to do. Oversize washer with some silicone and a bolt in a bolt hole. It seemed to block it. It's fine when it's cold. Seems once it warms up a bit then it drops. Im thinking this is what my random knock is under boost. Im running a 10:3 af at 20psi ad I get knock. While in boost the oil pressure will drop and also on the highway. 6.5qts of 5w30 wix oil filter. The only thing I can think of besides an oil pump problem is the bs hole. Which I took an extra dowl pin out of a block I have and I'm gonna stick that in there. I honestly wanna say that pressure is getting past the washer. Simon said if it was leaking then I wouldnt have pressure.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

Maybe I have something in the pick up tube for the oil pump?

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

This morning on the way to work it was fine. The gauge stayed in the middle which I have no clue what psi it is because it's just lines lol. When it gets low im talking 3000 rpm on the highway and it's 2 bars up from the first big bar.

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Im running a 10:3 af at 20psi ad I get knock. I honestly wanna say that pressure is getting past the washer. Simon said if it was leaking then I wouldnt have pressure.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

What's your timing advance at 20psi? What is your initial timing?

Don't listen to Simon. LOL

If you end up needing a pump, this guy has some NOS Mopar units for sale
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...NOS&highlight=

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Yea only thing I was gonna do to it was turn around and sell it or auto x setup.

yea I jut did what Johnny at pb said to do. Oversize washer with some silicone and a bolt in a bolt hole. It seemed to block it. It's fine when it's cold. Seems once it warms up a bit then it drops. Im thinking this is what my random knock is under boost. Im running a 10:3 af at 20psi ad I get knock. While in boost the oil pressure will drop and also on the highway. 6.5qts of 5w30 wix oil filter. The only thing I can think of besides an oil pump problem is the bs hole. Which I took an extra dowl pin out of a block I have and I'm gonna stick that in there. I honestly wanna say that pressure is getting past the washer. Simon said if it was leaking then I wouldnt have pressure.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

This morning on the way to work it was fine. The gauge stayed in the middle which I have no clue what psi it is because it's just lines lol. When it gets low im talking 3000 rpm on the highway and it's 2 bars up from the first big bar.
    I wouldn't rule out a restriction. It allows for enough flow at lower RPMs, but becomes too much for the pump to overcome at higher engine speeds?

turbo addict

Video of it being normal to me.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast