Rock Auto - Prime Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

  1. #1
    Hybrid booster NeonShowCar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Commerce Township, MI
    Posts
    271

    1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

    I've started this project log that will follow along the restoration of my newly acquired 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/ Blue. For those that don't know, this car was originally going to be scrapped and with the help of a few people the car was saved. Kaleb had the car for quite some time and started working on restoring it. Here is where I step in, I purchased the car from Kaleb and got it delivered to SoCal this past week. Finally pulled everything out of the car and wait till you see the pictures (took over 55 photos so far) of the car. This is going to be a Father and Daughter restoration (no sons so my youngest daughter is helping me). She was inside the Shelby pulling all the parts out, helping me stage all of them in the garage. Already telling me what needs to be fixed and replaced.

    The car does not run, the right axle sounds like its about to snap in half. Hoses and wires all over the place under the hood - been away from these cars way too long (don't remember where half these go), you will see the pictures of the car below. Long story short, car needs to be torn all the way down to a shell, body work completed and repainted. New engine / trans / axles, suspensions, discs, rotors, even looks like it will need new wheel studs (good thing I just got a 60gallon 2-stage air compressor). Enough talking lets get to the pictures.

    Sitting the garage.






    Hole in drivers door (have replacement door just in case):


    Surface rust on roof area:


    Surface rust on hood:


    Passenger side rear quarter panel:


    Rear deck lid rust:



  2. #2
    Hybrid booster NeonShowCar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Commerce Township, MI
    Posts
    271

    Re: 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

    Interior shot of all parts before unloading:


    All parts unloaded that were inside car:









  3. #3
    Hybrid booster NeonShowCar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Commerce Township, MI
    Posts
    271

    Re: 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

    Interior of car (no cleaning yet):








    Spare tire area:


    Front facia (primed ready to go except piece that is broken):


    Broken piece of facia (hope this can be fixed somehow!):


    Full Shelby Stripe Kit:




    Interior pieces already painted (to be reinstalled):





  4. #4
    Hybrid booster NeonShowCar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Commerce Township, MI
    Posts
    271

    Re: 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

    Underhood:








    Body Tag:


    Diagram Pic:




    Cluster (need a new one, tach and fuel snapped in half):

  5. #5
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor CNH320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan, United Stat
    Posts
    373

    Re: 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

    Looks like its going to be a fun project Garry... Silver with blue was always my favourite color combo for the SCs... Is it going to be a full original resto? i.e. keeping the T1? or planning a different powertrain?
    -Chris H
    1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #91 E85 Powered
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 FFV (E0/E85)

    Shelby Dodge Auto Club National Member

    SDAC Great Lakes Chapter & SDAC Ontario Chapter Member


  6. #6
    Hybrid booster NeonShowCar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Commerce Township, MI
    Posts
    271

    Re: 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

    Quote Originally Posted by CNH320 View Post
    Looks like its going to be a fun project Garry... Silver with blue was always my favourite color combo for the SCs... Is it going to be a full original resto? i.e. keeping the T1? or planning a different powertrain?
    Hey Chris - how's it been?

    Plan it to be full restoration project, with some upgrades. Do not plan on building a 12 second car - hell even a 13 second car. Just something that will be fun to drive around and that will be safe and road worthy.

    I do have a side mount Spearco intercooler kit that I plan to install (similar to what I had on my first shelby back in 89'). I'm not into making another go fast car again, So will keep it a T1 but add the Spearco kit.

    I've figured out last night need to just pull engine / trans / axles all as one. Car needs a good cleaning on the outside and inside - hopefully that starts this weekend. This restoration might take longer then I'd like as I travel within and without the US a lot lately.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Havertown, PA
    Posts
    8,135

    Re: 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

    Very nifty. Looking forward to seeing your progress... especially if you are planning to repair the urethane!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption"
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

    1983 Dodge Rampage
    1995 Grand Cherokee 4.0L "Frosty"
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

  8. #8
    Hybrid booster NeonShowCar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Commerce Township, MI
    Posts
    271

    Re: 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

    Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Very nifty. Looking forward to seeing your progress... especially if you are planning to repair the urethane!
    That's the plan Mike is to get that facia fixed somehow or another. Not sure just yet, will probably have to take to body shop cause rest of facia is in perfect condition.

    Just waiting on my 60 gallon air compressor to show up. Then I will start sanding down the rust areas on the hood / roof. Love taken pictures of the progress so things will be updated as I go.

  9. #9
    Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Salt Lake
    Posts
    1,550

    Re: 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

    Good to see a resto thread with a lot of pictures. Keep em coming!

    ~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -89 Shelby CSX #153 (new project)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute (in progress)

    Check out my Homepage

  10. #10
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    MOTOR CITY
    Posts
    1,537

    Re: 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

    You mean to tell me that the guy who intercooled a CSX-T wiht a junk yard Conquest intercooler doesn't remember how to work on TD's? I'm sure as you start getitng deeper into it, it will all come rushing back.

  11. #11
    Hybrid booster NeonShowCar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Commerce Township, MI
    Posts
    271

    Re: 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo224 View Post
    Good to see a resto thread with a lot of pictures. Keep em coming!
    This will have a ton of photos, the batteries died in the camera or I'd more then the 55 pics i took the first day. I love to document everything as I go, others will tell ya.

    Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    You mean to tell me that the guy who intercooled a CSX-T wiht a junk yard Conquest intercooler doesn't remember how to work on TD's? I'm sure as you start getitng deeper into it, it will all come rushing back.
    Rich - that was years ago though. Long time what early 90's - almost 20 yrs ago. I looked under the hood and was like what the heck is that? See the one pic of me holding that sensor - looked like MAP sensor under hood but never traced the wires. gonna be a learning experience. I think my best bet is to just get the cherry picker and pull everything and start all over. Still putting together the whole plan.

  12. #12
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    3,997

    Re: 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

    Looks like a worthy project that will be stunning when you finish!

    Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

    Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

  13. #13
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    MOTOR CITY
    Posts
    1,537

    Re: 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

    Quote Originally Posted by NeonShowCar View Post
    Rich - that was years ago though. Long time what early 90's - almost 20 yrs ago. I looked under the hood and was like what the heck is that? See the one pic of me holding that sensor - looked like MAP sensor under hood but never traced the wires. gonna be a learning experience. I think my best bet is to just get the cherry picker and pull everything and start all over. Still putting together the whole plan.
    Late 90's, I have the issue of High Performance Mopar you wrote the article in.

    Bag'n'tag everything. Atleast you have the blue Shelby charger to go on as refference if you need to see how things should be.

  14. #14
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    SoCal the OC
    Posts
    5,199

    Re: 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

    Even if it takes a few years-or longer We'd still like to have you and the car out at our Local meeting. Or if you are gonna pour yourself into it and eschew all other interests for 6 months, it could be ready by SDAC

    Alan 84 Rampage RT TIII/523 OBX 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 TC Masi 16V/523/OBX Hybrid Yellow/Ginger/Black 90 TC Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 90 Turbo Mini ES 'Whiteout'
    89 Porsche 928 S4 DOHC V8 four cams, 32Valves Black N Tan
    2014 Explorer 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost

  15. #15
    Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Skibbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chitown
    Posts
    512

    Re: 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

    subscribed!
    Mike Skibbe
    Chicagoland SDAC
    '86 Shelby Charger (12.6@110) Project Log
    '87 Shelby GLHS #0469 Project Log
    '08 Charger Daytona R/T #0089/1650

  16. #16
    boostaholic
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Council Bluffs Iowa
    Posts
    1,492

    Re: 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

    Quote Originally Posted by NeonShowCar View Post
    That's the plan Mike is to get that facia fixed somehow or another. Not sure just yet, will probably have to take to body shop cause rest of facia is in perfect condition.

    Just waiting on my 60 gallon air compressor to show up. Then I will start sanding down the rust areas on the hood / roof. Love taken pictures of the progress so things will be updated as I go.
    I have fixed worse. To be fixed and held, it needs a plate riveted behind the dammage area, and it needs to be glued with a special auto body adhesive. A professional shop should take care of this no problem.

    Kind of weird to see the car in someone elses garage. I am glad that it went to someone who is going to finish it.

  17. #17
    Hybrid booster NeonShowCar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Commerce Township, MI
    Posts
    271

    Re: 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

    Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Looks like a worthy project that will be stunning when you finish!

    Mike
    Thanks Mike - gonna take a while though to get done right and locate all the parts. Need to start hitting up the local CA guys for engine trans.

    Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    Late 90's, I have the issue of High Performance Mopar you wrote the article in.

    Bag'n'tag everything. Atleast you have the blue Shelby charger to go on as refference if you need to see how things should be.
    My blue shelby is at my inlaws in a barn in upper Michigan right now. So have to look around for pictures, etc. Gonna be like a puzzle putting some of this stuff back together. LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Even if it takes a few years-or longer We'd still like to have you and the car out at our Local meeting. Or if you are gonna pour yourself into it and eschew all other interests for 6 months, it could be ready by SDAC
    If I can get the car running, and road reliable I would certainly come out. Biggest issue is all my travelling planed, Vegas, Tampa, Switzerland, Germany all within the first 3 months of the new year. And wife and I been taking Germany classes on Thursday nights. I want to take my time and do this right the first time and make it the way it should be.

    Quote Originally Posted by spoolinhard View Post
    I have fixed worse. To be fixed and held, it needs a plate riveted behind the dammage area, and it needs to be glued with a special auto body adhesive. A professional shop should take care of this no problem.

    Kind of weird to see the car in someone elses garage. I am glad that it went to someone who is going to finish it.
    I will document everything check back, this weekend me and the girls plan to pull the whole interior out to clean / wash / vacuum it out. will take more pictures as we go. My daughter is actually getting excited about this so she is my motivator for this project.

    BTW, here is a pic of those nail clippers you left in the car.





    Wonder what else I will find as I start going thru the rest of the car. LOL

  18. #18
    boostaholic
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Council Bluffs Iowa
    Posts
    1,492

    Re: 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

    Quote Originally Posted by NeonShowCar View Post
    Thanks Mike - gonna take a while though to get done right and locate all the parts. Need to start hitting up the local CA guys for engine trans.



    My blue shelby is at my inlaws in a barn in upper Michigan right now. So have to look around for pictures, etc. Gonna be like a puzzle putting some of this stuff back together. LOL



    If I can get the car running, and road reliable I would certainly come out. Biggest issue is all my travelling planed, Vegas, Tampa, Switzerland, Germany all within the first 3 months of the new year. And wife and I been taking Germany classes on Thursday nights. I want to take my time and do this right the first time and make it the way it should be.



    I will document everything check back, this weekend me and the girls plan to pull the whole interior out to clean / wash / vacuum it out. will take more pictures as we go. My daughter is actually getting excited about this so she is my motivator for this project.

    BTW, here is a pic of those nail clippers you left in the car.





    Wonder what else I will find as I start going thru the rest of the car. LOL
    Those are probably from the car or one of the parts cars I pulled parts off of. They are not mine lol!

  19. #19
    Garrett booster
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    56

    Re: 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

    Hey bro looks like it will be lots of fun. I will be looking at your thread as a reference as I fix up this 84 Turismo that I started on last year but stopped.

    I have NO experience working on cars so you will definitely be helping me along the way.

  20. #20
    Hybrid booster NeonShowCar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Commerce Township, MI
    Posts
    271

    Re: 1986 Shelby Charger - Silver w/Blue Restoration Project

    Quote Originally Posted by austinlarg View Post
    Hey bro looks like it will be lots of fun. I will be looking at your thread as a reference as I fix up this 84 Turismo that I started on last year but stopped.

    I have NO experience working on cars so you will definitely be helping me along the way.
    Be sure to check back into this thread, I will take alot of photos and be very detailed. Those that know me know some of the projects I've done back in the 90's. Been too long away from these cars, forgot how much fun they are.

    Now to put together a list of parts that I need to locate and put a thread up in the Parts Wanted section.

    Thanks for following along.

Similar Threads

  1. General 1986 Dodge Shelby Charger TI - Partout
    By Steve in VA in forum Parts For Sale
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 10:08 PM
  2. General 1986 Dodge Shelby Charger parts
    By Johnny in forum Parts For Sale
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-25-2012, 05:31 PM
  3. Shelby Turbo Package for Mustangs
    By contraption22 in forum Other vehicles
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 10:40 AM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-08-2008, 06:22 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •