Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Boost Controller

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Electronic Boost Controller

I would not mind getting one. But new and improved features are mentioned for the future. That makes me want to hold out to see what is next. Dont want to be spending the money only to find out if I waited I could get something better for a little more.
    Last edited by karlak; 12-10-2010 at 08:13 AM.

I think the knobs are probably the worst part aesthetically. Any chance of going with something more modern looking, and less utilitarian? Or at least not so "I'M A HUGE KNOB ON THE FRONT OF THIS THING!"

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mpgmike View Post
    It uses your factory MAP signal and actuates your factory WG solenoid. It is targeting the low cost crowd. In the ad it states, "Priced to dominate at $99.95"
    So I'm assuming it's looking for a 0-5v MAP input from the stock MAP sensor? Would it follow then that it should work with a 3 or 4-bar MAP sensor?
    Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    A friend of mine is running around 22psi on a 2-bar with stock T-II injectors, and only one extra injector. it's not a cold-start... it's a nozzle of sorts he found and has been dialing it in via different sized orifices. Haven't had a ride in the car yet... but I'm sure it's going real good since last time I drove it in the fall on 15psi.

I kept driving it in to him to read Gus's page and ignore what he reads on the intrawebz... and then this summer, he did. Now, he knows more about that gizmo stuff than I do, and he can teach me a thing or two on the tricketry and manipulation stuff
    You have too many friends,

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    I'm only run 27psi on a 2bar, thats not too bad right?
    I did 29,

Wow, take an overnight nap and look at what all I missed. Yes, my baby is apparently ugly. It has been proposed that we put a lable on the top and leave the face plain black. How does that sound?

I did indeed create the concept. I am working with an electronics engineering and manufacturing firm that I've done automotive electronics projects with in the past. The guy began his electronics career in 1959 and ranks among the best. All components are Industrial grade, temp ranges -20 to 185 F. Wiring is also automotive grade. We are targeting a minimum 10 year life span. It comes with a 1 year mfg defect warranty and a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. The boards are getting made up and parts are being amassed for the first batch.

If you happen to open the Vendor Promo you will see that there are other models in the works. The WG-100 is our initial offering and is targeted as the price leader. Later versions will have internal MAPs, and even traction control. I appreciate feedback that helps me to make the best possible product, and Chris needs your feedback to determine a good sized first order. If you talk to Chris he can tell you how I'm trying to use suppliers within our TM community.

Keep the insults coming (so long as you tell me a better way after you kick the punch line).

Mike
    Is "wastegatre" on purpose like your "lable", hehehehe,

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    http://www.wastegatre.com/VendorPromo.pdf

can I post that without anyone getting too mad?
    Why would anyone get mad?

The 400 model looks pretty good,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    You have too many friends,

Why would anyone get mad?

The 400 model looks pretty good,
    Didnt want to reveal any secrets.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Okay so I get it, the "wastegatre" is spelled wrong on purpose. I like the idea, especially since it is going to be MADE HERE and not in china!I also like re-using the factory stuff. Will it be easy to use a JY solenoid and 3 or 4 bar map if we want to?

From a consumer standpoint I think the front needs some work. But I am not sure, maybe all black? Maybe a wood grain option since it is made for TM's (lol)? You know what would be cool, hold a contest for a design here on the boards, have a vote and give the winner maybe 10% off a new unit?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    I like the idea, especially since it is going to be MADE HERE and not in china!I also like re-using the factory stuff. Will it be easy to use a JY solenoid and 3 or 4 bar map if we want to?
    Does anyone know what the max pressure the factory solenoid can reliably deal with? I'm OK with using factory stuff, especially the MAP, then it won't matter what bar it is, though it would be nice to have a scale to indicate the PSI you were setting it to, even if only roughly...

The best would be to have a simple digital display that could show the actual PSI it was set to... You could have a dip switch in the back to select how many bar you map is...

Anyway, there's my .02...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

This is awesome, guys! Great stuff. I tell you what. [I]You[I] design the winning label and you get a free WG-100 from me personally (sorry Chris for stealing one of your customers). Of course I need rights to use it legally. It is our intent to offer an optional solenoid for those applications where there is either no factory solenoid (turbo /6) or the the factory unit is under powered. Yes there are future models with more features, but the $99.95 price leader is what we are using to enter the market.

Since the Wastegatre (intentional mis-spelling) relies on an external MAP voltage signal, it will indeed work with 2, 2.5, 3, and 4 BAR MAP sensors. I know there are $600 boost controllers that will blow away the WG-100 in features, but the WG is...$99.95. That's the point! Still, keep the great ideas coming and you can claim that you helped engineer one of the best selling products out there! (someday soon)

Mike

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

FWIW: *I* wasn't knocking the appearance of your product. I could have said it had a "Heath Kit" look about it, but *I* understood it was your works from the get-go. You see... I've had friends (there you go Simon) that used to design their own stomp boxes (guitar effects) back in the early 90's and they also played with electronics. You choose a diecast "box" what knobs and buttons and there ya go (besides the internals that is what really makes it what it is)

For those that want to make it "modern" looking, then let's try this Mike: instead of the typical knobs and a couple leds, how about 2 thumbwheels *or* < > buttons with a simple red lit digital readout that reads the parameter for each control in digital #s from 1-10 (or in the spirit of the Movie Spinal Tap and Jon csxt665) make it go from 1-11 ) 11= Overdrive baby! (but is really just 10 in your terms)

Black face, 2 (or one that works for both) red lit digital readout and 2 sets of <> buttons.

But, I'd call it MPG Stomp Box, (looks like a guitar stomp box, and literally is a stomp box: stomp the gas and go!) Or.... Turbo Overdrive (in the spirit of stomp boxes again) Or csxt665's "All of it" setting

Or you can can it Wastegatre and leave as is and tell everyone to take their g-valves and shove 'em
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

turbo addict

This is awesome, guys! Great stuff. I tell you what. [I]You[I] design the winning label and you get a free WG-100 from me personally (sorry Chris for stealing one of your customers). Of course I need rights to use it legally. It is our intent to offer an optional solenoid for those applications where there is either no factory solenoid (turbo /6) or the the factory unit is under powered. Yes there are future models with more features, but the $99.95 price leader is what we are using to enter the market.

Since the Wastegatre (intentional mis-spelling) relies on an external MAP voltage signal, it will indeed work with 2, 2.5, 3, and 4 BAR MAP sensors. I know there are $600 boost controllers that will blow away the WG-100 in features, but the WG is...$99.95. That's the point! Still, keep the great ideas coming and you can claim that you helped engineer one of the best selling products out there! (someday soon)

Mike
    Sounds great! I need to get to work! Can you let us know what the knobs do so that can be incorperated into the design? Also, is "Wastegatre" the brand name? That way it can be incorporated too.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

there is some ebc on ebay , ive seen some at 125 $ with turbo timer feature and some other stuff , not saying your product is bad but you already got some competitors in your price range

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by shelbymonster View Post
    there is some ebc on ebay , ive seen some at 125 $ with turbo timer feature and some other stuff , not saying your product is bad but you already got some competitors in your price range
    Do they have a 1 year manufacturer's warrantee? Do they come with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee? Are they tied to an industry icon that takes service calls when you can't figure out the wiring, like Turbos Unleashed? HHhhmmmmmm. Everything is relevent. Here is something we have considered.

This takes about 6 months to get the tooling done and get the lables. We're considering something like this. The top row of LEDs is a virtual boost gauge, and the bottom row shows you your selection in relation to the range. Don't hold your breath yet, we need to get things rolling first, and Chris needs to be convinced that it is in his best interest to offer the Wastegatre line.

Mike

Hybrid booster

looking good mike cant wait for things to start rolling along

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shelbymonster View Post
    They are probably made in china and have no support. I wouldn't trust a JY engine to a chinese EBC.

turbo addict

Here is my Concept so far. I still retained the knobs, the button, and the 3 LED's. I wasnt sure of the actual dimensions so I just went with 1x5.

I think I am going to shrink the rivets, Label the knobs, and Find somewhere to put the "active" LED. Also if I could get actual dimensions of both the face and the top of the device that would be great.

What do you think guys?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brushed-metal-texture.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	27282  
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

boostaholic

i think it would be important to have locking knobs (if they exist??) so the boost doesnt adjust itself

turbo addict

Locking knobs would work, or like this where you have to push it in for it to turn

http://www.ehcknobs.com/pdfcat/MiltKnob%20p23%20sm.pdf

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Locking knobs would work, or like this where you have to push it in for it to turn

http://www.ehcknobs.com/pdfcat/MiltKnob%20p23%20sm.pdf
    While that knob would prevent accidental movement from being bumped, there is nothing preventing the shaft from rotating due to vibration.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

What do I win?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    What do I win?

Why don't you take a picture of an 8-track player instead.....

That is purely ghetto.

Whatever faceplate Mike chooses.... it should have a locked feature so mechanics and friends can't crank it up...
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast