Thread: Minivan coil springs

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Minivan coil springs

Anyone out there using or have knowledge of the Moog CC762 coil springs?
    They are listed for 89 2.5L and 3.0L.

I'm dealing with an issue of my new KYB SR4019 strut assemblies. I found out following installation the mini is taller than factory. These are apparently for a 3.0L and possibly the AWD version. They are variable rate and stiff but have a good feel and ride, just the springs are too tall.
    KYB wouldn't give me any info on spring rate, so I'm not going to be able to get for sure the same rate i have now. I figured they used another manufacturer's springs in the assembly, but they said they manufacture the springs, but they don't have one for the 2.5L application.

I ordered the CC762 springs so I could replace these in the assemblies, but I'm also getting used koni's with HD springs. So I have some options. I'm just wondering which would be best.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Minivan coil springs

They are Moog's HD version, CC768 are a softer unit.

I put Spicer HD variable rate springs on my van, they aren't bad but next step is custom or coil overs. Koni's are on the middle setting.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    They are Moog's HD version, CC768 are a softer unit.

I put Spicer HD variable rate springs on my van, they aren't bad but next step is custom or coil overs. Koni's are on the middle setting.
    How are the Spicer's compared to the Moog's? Same spring rates if you know?
    Now you cut 1 full coil off yours? And that gave you about 2" drop?
    Did you cut the top or bottom of the spring, I'm assuming bottom since the top is smaller.

These new Moog's are variable rate also, so does cutting a coil off the bottom will start you off with a higher spring rate? Or the several bottom coils are just making the height, and the middle section is the increased spring rate?

I just really hate that this stuff needs to come apart again! My only consolation is that my little brother did the install, so it was MY labor!
    Maybe i should just jack the back of Mini up with some air shocks and pretend I'm 4wd?
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    How are the Spicer's compared to the Moog's? Same spring rates if you know?
    Now you cut 1 full coil off yours? And that gave you about 2" drop?
    Did you cut the top or bottom of the spring, I'm assuming bottom since the top is smaller.

These new Moog's are variable rate also, so does cutting a coil off the bottom will start you off with a higher spring rate? Or the several bottom coils are just making the height, and the middle section is the increased spring rate?

I just really hate that this stuff needs to come apart again! My only consolation is that my little brother did the install, so it was MY labor!
    Maybe i should just jack the back of Mini up with some air shocks and pretend I'm 4wd?
    I honestly don't know about the Moogs. I couldn't find any specs so I went by wire thickness, the Spicers were a thicker coil so I used those and they are variable.

I cut from the bottom as you are correct, wouldn't work if you cut the top.

I think I cut like 1.5 coils but I am also dropped about 2.5 inch's so again, you'd have to put it together and see, then cut to suit, yes, its a pain but its really the only way.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info