Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DROP KIT.... wait.... SLAM KIT!

Mitsu booster

DROP KIT.... wait.... SLAM KIT!

Ok, I'm on the hunt for some new stuff for my Omni. I have to replace front and rear shocks and struts because they are busted, so I'm thinking it's time to slam this car. I'm not really worried about ride quality or any of that, I just want the car LLLOOOWWW! So if anyone has any suggestions on where I should look, please help me out because I'm striking out. Would some of the stuff they make for the MKI and II fit this car? Anyways, help a brother out!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: DROP KIT.... wait.... SLAM KIT!

Some of the VW stuff works. I think there's some info on that over on Boostedmopar.com.

If you want it slammed, 1g neon struts are very easy for the front. The rear you can probably get away with cutting springs or shorter springs from something else along with a shorter damper.

if you slam it, make sure the back doesnt bottom out the shock or bumpstop or you will have instant OH ---- DEATH oversteer. Trust me.

I had my aries so low i couldnt go over a soda can turned on its side. It was fun in a way. I dug the look.

Is it a turbo omni? What year?

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Go to www.fwdperformance.com and buy the coil over kit.

Also search the our vendor "rbryant" as he's selling another coil over kit.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

heres a couple pics of my car. has the koni coil over kid from FWDP

i could still drop it about an inch more....but trying to get jacks under the vehicle becomes a problem. def need one of those nice slim line aluminum jacks.....

theres about 3.5" TOPS of ground clearance at current pic heights.
    Last edited by Juggy; 12-16-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Some of the VW stuff works. I think there's some info on that over on Boostedmopar.com.

If you want it slammed, 1g neon struts are very easy for the front. The rear you can probably get away with cutting springs or shorter springs from something else along with a shorter damper.

if you slam it, make sure the back doesnt bottom out the shock or bumpstop or you will have instant OH ---- DEATH oversteer. Trust me.

I had my aries so low i couldnt go over a soda can turned on its side. It was fun in a way. I dug the look.

Is it a turbo omni? What year?
    1g neon struts will lift a Lbody go 2g I have 1g on mine right now and I had to put my coil over to full slam to get the car back to stock.

I don't know why everyone told me it would lower the car but the struts are longer that the stock Lbodys.

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    heres a couple pics of my car. has the koni coil over kid from FWDP

i could still drop it about an inch more....but trying to get jacks under the vehicle becomes a problem. def need one of those nice slim line aluminum jacks.....

theres about 3.5" TOPS of ground clearance at current pic heights.
    http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...s-8-pack/43849
    2022 Viper runs 9s

1g neon struts will lift a Lbody go 2g I have 1g on mine right now and I had to put my coil over to full slam to get the car back to stock.

I don't know why everyone told me it would lower the car but the struts are longer that the stock Lbodys.
    Uh...a 1g neon strut is a full 5 inches shorter than a stock l-body strut when they're fully extended. Thats why we said it would lower the car. Even a 2g neon strut is marginally shorter than a stock l-body strut.

I dont know if you even have neon struts if you're saying that.

I went from this:

To this, on stock 1g neon struts/springs.

For the record, that pic with the 1g neon struts.. you can lower that much on stock struts and that is literally where they bottom out. So stock struts with NO SPRINGS on them is the same height at 1g neon struts with stock neon springs. If 1g neon struts didnt lower your car, you're doing it wrong.

turbo addict

Vigo, is that on stock 1g springs? My NY WILL be getting that treatment. Its more fo a cruiser then a race car... Id love to have it laying frame like that!

Ive been thinking of cutting the buckets from the rear axle and dropping them down instead of cutting the springs. I plan on using 85 daytona turbo springs, with a 1.5 to 2" drop on the buckets. If I ever get around to doing it, I will do the front first, measure it out and then do the back.

Yeh that is stock 1g neon struts with 1g neon springs. I modded the strut shafts to use the stock k-car strut top, but that doesnt affect height that i know of.

The thing about that setup is that the stock springs werent stiff enough to keep the car from bottoming out the k-frame or pans through fast dips (lots of low-water crossings around here for me to find out). So ideally it would be better with stiffer springs, like trimmed down stock srt-4 springs, or any drop spring for a 2g neon trimmed to fit. Stiffer springs for 1g are usually even shorter than stock and you dont want that.

Mitsu booster

Sweet dudes thanks for all the help!
    Vigo - It's not a turbo :*( but one day it maybe! LOL I actually work about 5 miles for FWDpro's shop so I'm planing on swinging over there soon. All this info is good to know about the 2gn/1gn. If I go the 1gn route, what all will need modified in the front strut tower? And were what did you say you were using in the rear?

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

link wont load?

My set up is 87 omni, 1g neon struts with 97 accord coilover kit. This strut/coilover combo makes my omni is sit up like a monster truck. I guess I has to do with the accord coilovers?

(I don't mind the extra ride height as i enjoy blasting dirt roads)

Im still failing to understand how a strut that at MAX height is still 5" shorter than a stock strut, can still lift your car. Unless your stock struts just didnt have springs on them or something.

If I go the 1gn route, what all will need modified in the front strut tower? And were what did you say you were using in the rear?
    Umm, knock one of the studs out of the strut top, and thats it? I think... im no expert on l-bodies, but on the k-cars it is much harder.

As for the back, i was just using cut-down stock style springs. Like i said, watch those bumpstops. You need to have a good bit of travel before it hits the stops or you will fly off the road when you least expect it. Trust me.

Umm, knock one of the studs out of the strut top, and thats it? I think... im no expert on l-bodies, but on the k-cars it is much harder.

As for the back, i was just using cut-down stock style springs. Like i said, watch those bumpstops. You need to have a good bit of travel before it hits the stops or you will fly off the road when you least expect it. Trust me.
    I found it is a lot easier to reuse the old strut top then to modify the new one. Also +1 on the bumpstop warning it gets scary

On the 1g neon struts I am going to pull some 2g one and compare.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I hate the 4x4 look but its also super annoying to get a jack under the car, especially if you have some slicks on at 8psi tire pressure.
    I would love a serious drop. My rear end will be taken care of with the solid rear axle and 4 link but the fron't still does not make me happy. oh lucky L bodies.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by plymouth View Post
    1g neon struts will lift a Lbody go 2g I have 1g on mine right now and I had to put my coil over to full slam to get the car back to stock. I don't know why everyone told me it would lower the car but the struts are longer that the stock Lbodys.
    Um no, what Vigo Said. Check my build thread out and take a look what NEW 1st gen Neon struts and an Ebay coilover did for my Rampage. VERY low, could go LOWER, but I wouldn't be able to drive it.

Im still failing to understand how a strut that at MAX height is still 5" shorter than a stock strut, can still lift your car. Unless your stock struts just didnt have springs on them or something.
    Me neither, but I think it has to do with the Honda coilover kit, but I think he has figured that out.

That's all you have to do. I bought new everything, but I used NEW stock uppers instead of the NEON uppers.

Quote Originally Posted by plymouth View Post
    I found it is a lot easier to reuse the old strut top then to modify the new one. Also +1 on the bumpstop warning it gets scary
    On the 1g neon struts I am going to pull some 2g one and compare.
    There is a thread on boosted mopar showing the difference(1st gen and 2nd gen) and I have pictures showing the difference between stock L-body and 1st gen neon.

Good Luck!

Mitsu booster

54inches - could you shoot me those pic's? and when you say new stock uppers, does that mean new l-body uppers? Maybe I'll swing by O'rilleys and make them show me both, 1gn and stock l-body.

Thanks again for all the help ya'll!

boostaholic

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...=44294&page=12

Yes, stock L-body upper strut mounts.

turbo addict

You guys talk about the bump stop issue, did you try to raise the rack any? Any idea on how far it could be raised?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast