Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Srt4 swap in l body.

Hybrid booster

Srt4 swap in l body.

Ok hopefully this will simplify this for everyone, what exactly is needed to do this swap? I see that everyone had conflicting views on it and its real confusing honestly. So can someone break it all down for us? Like parts list, tools needed, um and step by step on what to do? Thanx.
    Those that would sacrifice any liberties for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin When the government fears the people there is liberty; When the people fear their government there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Srt4 swap in l body.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...06&postcount=3

Tools, the usual suspects.

Others will chime in with more info.
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 12-03-2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Forgot a line, doh!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

The intake to radiator fan is a bigtime clearance issue in the lbody.

Either the intake or the radiator/fan has to be changed for it to fit.

I have a fully custom intake manifold for mine with a big radiator but it was a major PITA to get it to fit. Others have used a DOHC neon intake manifold with a smaller radiator/fan.

-Rich

Hybrid booster

Thanks guys for awesome info, But I was thinking that someone with experience could write up a how to for the knowledge center so everything is in one clear cut easy to read condensed spot. And this isn't a 2.0 block with srt internals its an actual srt4 motor which I thought was not same as 2.0 block.
    Those that would sacrifice any liberties for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin When the government fears the people there is liberty; When the people fear their government there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyLancer282 View Post
    Thanks guys for awesome info, But I was thinking that someone with experience could write up a how to for the knowledge center so everything is in one clear cut easy to read condensed spot.
    Don't be so lazy... The info is mostly there in the 2.4 conversion thread.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197

You are actually in the wrong forum for this... It should be in the 2.0/2.4 swap forum not the hybrid forum.

The lbody is just tighter clearance wise than the other cars. Everything else is basically the same. I also found that I really couldn't fit a rear acessory on my charger with the 2.4l block. So I ran a front alternator and AC with an electric/hydraulic PS pump from a Toyota MR2. It isn't done yet though so I don't have any results for you.

-Rich

Hybrid booster

Key word there is mostly duh aka not a complete breakdown lol. And I'm posting thru my phone so kinda hard to search whereas a write up for the knowledge center would be soo much better right? Ain't that why its there for?

Key word there is mostly duh aka not a complete breakdown lol. And I'm posting thru my phone so kinda hard to search whereas a write up for the knowledge center would be soo much better right? Ain't that why its there for?
    Yes but it isn't like people are getting paid to write KC articles....

Perhaps you should do the research and post it all up in a concise manner for everyone else if it is that big of a deal to you...

I think the 2.4 conversion thread has pretty much everything except for the clearance issues.

There is an article on the transmissions and starters in the KC that I wrote.
    The clearance issues are the area that isn't covered and it really depends on a lot of things in your own build.

My buildup thread also has a lot of the information on the clearances in an lbody.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=34578

The research can never be 100% consolidated as every swap has some differences. There are different clearance issues depending on what acessories you use, etc. The threads are a good guide but the honest truth is that a swap takes hard work.

Nobody is going to 100% spoon feed you in life!

-Rich

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post

I have been sick this week so I am grumpy but if you don't have the time to read threads and do research then you won't figure it out anyway...

-Rich
    ^ lol
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

-Rich
    NOW you tell me,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    NOW you tell me,
    I said I was grumpy...

I dropped from 170lbs Wed night to 161lbs this morning with some sort of stomach virus so I am not really a pleasant person today.

-Rich

Hybrid booster

Well I guess I'm more concerned with mounting and hooking it all up. And where to get the parts I need since its not a drop in plug and play swap. I'm not using ac I would like ps tho. And megasquirt might be my choice for running it. I have a 523 trans dead stock srt motor so stock srt manifold so yeah. I will log it all but ain't no one spoon feeding me lol. As for your virus drink some raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar mixed with raw honey and water and you will be better real fast.

I said I was grumpy...

I dropped from 170lbs Wed night to 161lbs this morning with some sort of stomach virus so I am not really a pleasant person today.

-Rich
    Hahahaa, you really are out of it, it wasn't a jab at you,

Hope your feeling better and I know about being ill and loosing weight fast,

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyLancer282

Well I guess I'm more concerned with mounting and hooking it all up. I'm not using ac I would like ps tho. And megasquirt might be my choice for running it. I heaver a 523 trans dead stock srt motor so stock srt manifold so yeah. I will log it all but ain't no one spoon feeding me lol. As for your virus drink some raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar mixed with raw honey and water and you will be better real fast.
    Well mounting it is cake, its the other small bits that add up.

Running a SMEC setup is another idea.

As for the 523, if you use that, you will have to modify it as one of the front bolts doesn't align properly.

Hybrid booster

I said I was grumpy...

-Rich
    Find the virus you have / had... I could stand to lose a few pounds...

... If I could only get one of those virus before my next dr appt. He may then be happy with my weight
    - Dave MacArthur '83 Shelby Charger - TII conversion ("The Mistress") '08 Ranger '04 Malibu '12 Can Am Spyder RT

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    Find the virus you have / had... I could stand to lose a few pounds...

... If I could only get one of those virus before my next dr appt. He may then be happy with my weight
    I might be able to come up with some samples from drinking glasses that haven't been washed yet but you don't want it.

It is hard to choose which position over the toilet you want at any given moment. Getting it out of order isn't good either...

-Rich

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post

As for the 523, if you use that, you will have to modify it as one of the front bolts doesn't align properly.
    And Modify the ND starter to fit...

The Bosch starter won't fit at all unless you grind on the block and that can be dangerous...

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vb...&articleid=111

-Rich

Hybrid booster

lol,.well that's why I'm asking now before I get started and screw something up. What do I need to do to use my 523 and where do I get the stuff to make this go as smoothly as possible? do I have to change k member? I see different views on about everything and that results in alot of confusion.

lol,.well that's why I'm asking now before I get started and screw something up. What do I need to do to use my 523 and where do I get the stuff to make this go as smoothly as possible? do I have to change k member? I see different views on about everything and that results in alot of confusion.
    Use the SRT or Neon trans, use the original K-member.

Hybrid booster

But isn't the srt trans hydraulic how do you work that out.

turbo addict

But isn't the srt trans hydraulic how do you work that out.
    You would have to mount the clutch master cylinder at the pedal and run the hydraulic line to the slave cylinder at the transmission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

..........make this go as smoothly as possible?

If you don't have access to a shop with a tig welder and fabrication tools you are gonna be in for a lot of frustration. THIS WILL NOT GO SMOOTHLY, PROMISE, even if you do have those items. It takes a lot of time to complete the swap and it can get frustrating. I put a TIII in my Omni and that swap is easier than a srt4 swap and it was still a pain in the a$$ and took 7 months. The Omni is the hardest car to put a bigger motor into, a Charger gives you more room up front where you need it.

It will be cool, and fast when you get finished though! Good Luck.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast