Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Major help Or Parents Are going To Sell My Car

Hybrid booster

Re: Need Major help Or Parents Are going To Sell My Car

ya thats what happened when i got the car originally the whole vac system was shot i have had the car for about 2 yrs and its come a long way he is some full car pics

Hybrid booster

Hybrid booster

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by scarface1689 View Post
    don't have a mityvac it comes from the a toggle switch under my dash and is a non factory wire that some one added i know this because how its ran and how someone stupidly pop; a hole in my firewall before i bought the car and is the sensor u r talking about on the intake
    I know the wire goes inside, where's it go on the motor? The vacuum canistor is the black round thing in the picture on the intake. The knock sensor and CTS sensor are also pictured in your pic.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    First things first rip that entire 25 year old vacuum harness off and throw in in the garbage!!! That is the first thing I do on any new TM I get. From the vacuum port on the intake manifold (the black thing with two vac lines coming off of it) you only need 3 lines to make a log car run. Run one to the waste gate can, one to the FPR, and one to the vac line that goes through the firewall on the passenger side. DONE. Will run MUCH better. If you don't know what all those things are, I can try to post pics.

I can't recommend that. This guy doesn't know up from down. To rip off something that is partially functioning and rebuild/redesign something seems way out of his reach. He needs to fix what's there then later worry about modifying things.

Go here: http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo.html and read through EVERY link on that page. You have a good little car there that's easy to work on. Just need to know what you're doing a bit more.

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

Beautiful car! If I could add a little input I'd chase that 'non factory wire' back to wherever the source is and disconnect it. If it goes to a toggle switch for old neon lights, you don't need it, and if it's been shorted out, you'd want to run a new wire to that switch anyway. You don't even have to remove the wire, just disconnect it from its power source...that's up to you, though.
    Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I would simply redo the turbo wastegate hose as suggested, run the turbo wastegate can to a manifold vacuum source until you've learned enough and have more time to redo the vacuum lines. These older engines have a terrible vacuum line setup. If you do this, you'll get 4-5 psi and no worries about blowing it up, sure, it will be slow but at least you'll get your parents off your back.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

at what rpm does it start to over boost???

As said only 3 lines run the car:

Manifold to fuel pressure regulator

Manifold to WG

Manifold to MAP sensor.

All the rest - 7 or 8 are for emissions and can be tossed and capped.

A line run direct from manifold to WG *will* stop overboost - do this and just drive the car for a while.

ALSO:

Why are your parents soooo worried about overboost???

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

maybe the swingvalve is stuck close ? try to move the wg arm to see if it move freely , + 1 on cleaning the vacc lines

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R/T View Post

ALSO:

Why are your parents soooo worried about overboost???
    Maybe they don't want to pay to fix the resulting ashtray's,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Muertoloco View Post
    at what rpm does it start to over boost???
    It's not RPM dependent. It's dependent on how much fuel is being supplied to the motor via the logic module & power module (this cars ECU's). With your turbo, you could in theory see overboost at as low as 3000 or as high as 5000+ RPM depending on the throttle position. Ultimately by how much fuel the ECU's are providing the motor. The better question is at what PSI does it overboost? The answer is (on your vehicle) it should be between 12 and 15 PSI.

Sounds like you can use a crash course on these cars. Gary Donovan has a fantastic website to learn all about TD vehicles. You could spend probably weeks reading without to much difficulty. I highly recommend reading this for any TD enthusiast.
    http://www.thedodgegarage.com/

These cars are affordable, fun, reasonably economical, but remember your car is old!. It's far older than you. Stuff is gonna break now and then and it takes some time to get bugs worked out. If you needed a super reliable vehicle, my first choice wouldn't be owning any car that's 25 years old and relying on that for daily transportation. You will find in time that half the fun of owning these old dinosaurs is working on them and making them run better than when they left the showroom floor.

My suggestion to you would be to quit telling your parents about how badly the car is running (overboosting). How do they know this unless you are telling them, or they are driving it at WOT (wide open throttle)?
    Todd

turbo addict

I dont think the car is a problem, we need to deal with these troublesome parents trying to sell such a nice daytona.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    I can't recommend that. This guy doesn't know up from down. To rip off something that is partially functioning and rebuild/redesign something seems way out of his reach. He needs to fix what's there then later worry about modifying things.

Go here: http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo.html and read through EVERY link on that page. You have a good little car there that's easy to work on. Just need to know what you're doing a bit more.
    I do agree with you somewhat on that. It does seem a little out of his reach. But, I am a firm believer in learning by experience. Most everything I know about these cars is things I have read on the Internet and went out to the garage and did. If I had a log car I would go take some pics of how to set this up but I don't. I use to have a mspaint pic of how to do this on my old comp. Would you like me to draw one up? I would be glad to. The other stuff is for emissions, and its necessary. I put 10k on a 85 lancer with the 3 vacuum line setup and had no issues other then low power.

Actually give me a bit and I will try to make you a pic.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    I dont think the car is a problem, we need to deal with these troublesome parents trying to sell such a nice daytona.
    Yeah... actually, what's yer parents phone number, I got $500 for that horribly running overboosting car, LOL

J/K, nice lookin 1G man!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Does that help?

Thats the start of a KC article right there

What about the brake booster vacuum line?

Is the extra fuel line on the regulator supposed to be the return line from the rail?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

The vac booster pulls before the turbo, as with the CC, and heater controls. I just know it goes into the FPR. Im not sure where the FPR is even mounted on that car so I made a picture and put it in the correct area. Some are on the intake, some are on the strut tower.

Doing it that way will disable the EGR and the charcoal canister. Neither will throw codes. Once He get this figured out and running, we can help him figure out making the stock boost control work, or how to add a manual boost controller. I did this same setup on my NY, but tied into the factory boost control to get more then 6psi. This setup is the same for a T1/T2 car, just the pieces are in different spots. Same general idea.

I guess I'm not that familiar with the Log T1 ... the turbo is after the TB so you can get a vacuum signal there but the later T1/T2 have to pull all vacuum from the intake
    Last edited by BadAssPerformance; 12-04-2010 at 03:31 AM.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

No the turbo is AFTER the TB

LOL, thanks thats what I meant! I was looking at it from the plenum perspective that it was inside the vacuum... not really sure why they plumbed that stuff before the turbo tho?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast