Thread: Good struts and shocks for stock 88 Shelby Z springs

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Good struts and shocks for stock 88 Shelby Z springs

I know it's been discussed before, but most of the threads seemed to have varying opinions according when they were posted, so thought I'd check again. I need to replace the struts and shocks on the '87 Shelby Z, keeping the stock springs. I don't have the money for Konis, or for a nice coil-over kit. Which Seems to leave me w/ the choices of Gabriels, KYB and Monroe.

KYB, I thought the GR2's were supposed to better better, but found mentions of the GAS-A-Just working better. Found some using Gabriel Ultras but not much feedback on the handling. Monroe Sensa-Tracs seemed to be popular for a bit, then not so much later on. Any other brands?

Also, does anyone have the spring rates handy for the Shelby Z springs?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Garrett booster

Re: Good struts and shocks for stock 88 Shelby Z springs

All I can say, is stay away from the SensaTracs if you like a tight ride. I had so many things to fix on the '88 that I reluctantly put the Monroes on there due to cost when I first bought the car, knowing they'd be upgraded sometime in '11. Now that I'm close to having the car where I want it, I'm looking for better suspension options. The Monroes just let the car bounce all over the place. Not like an OE ride at all. I'll probably swap the Monroe & stock spring set-up onto my '87 TI Shelby Z that I plan on using as a winter driver once I upgrade the '88.

If it is possible - and I know we're all on a tight budget - save the extra $290-$320 it will take to get a set of Konis up front. They're discontinued, but there are a couple places that still have them for about $390/pair. It will take a while of searching and calling to find them though. The KYB Gas-a-Just shocks are a great option for the rears.
    Last edited by 6daytonas; 12-02-2010 at 04:54 PM.

Yeah I rate handling over ride, I don't really care if it rides stiffer as long as it handles good. I don't want to go too cheap/soft and have it not handle the springs, or float/bounce on bumps.

Why are the Gas-A-Just good the rear but not the front? I don't really like mixing and matching brands.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Garrett booster

The Gas-a-Just line is for mono tube shocks only. They don't make a strut under this product line IIRC.

Hybrid booster

Can't get gas-a-just for front, rear only.

I have 3 shelby z's. One is on stock springs with kyb's, it's a decent ride and drive, feels like a stock ride, not too firm, but not too soft. It's a good combo for a stock car. I am surprised that my set only lasted about 12K and 4 years.

On my other one I have eibachs and koni's. It is a very firm and very controlled ride. It can get busy (feel every pavement imperfection) on rough roads, but is awesome for mountain roads. On smooth roads it's really not too bad. It's very similar to the ride my Z4 with the M suspension has.

I've also got a lebaron gts, and I have the monroe sensatracs on it. It actually feels identical to the kyb's. It's not floaty or rough, car doesn't pogo or float. I don't have any problems with the monroes personally. I have another set that I will be putting in my third Z, with the stock springs. I got all the monroes on special at rock auto a few years back, bought a few sets for my chryslers and my SHO's. FYI if you have a Taurus, kyb's don't last worth a crap on them.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Once again, sigh, lol.

Sensa junks, stay away.

KYB gas-adjust are a higher performing option but not available for the front
    KYB GR's aren't bad but can be softer than stock, they are supposed to be made to OE specs for a factory type ride, or slightly softer.

Gabriels offer a firm ride and I prefer these for a cheaper upgrade unless you want to make your own adjustables or want to buy Koni's.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

How do the Mopar Performance struts compare?

turbo addict

The reason Sensa-Sh1ts suck is because they are a position based dampner, not a speed based like a normal shock. So they're soft when around the middle of the travel and tighten up at the ends of their travel. They were on my ShelbyZ when I bought it with about 100 miles on them. They went into the garbage ASAP.

Simon are the Gabriels firmer than a GR-2? I'm going to be looking for shocks for my New Yorker soon as was going to throw on my stock ShelbyZ springs at the same time. Was just going to go with the GR-2's as I had a set on my GLH and they were ok.

Quote Originally Posted by DevoBuzz View Post
    How do the Mopar Performance struts compare?
    Not sure, heard different reports on here that they are ok or they suck, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    The reason Sensa-Sh1ts suck is because they are a position based dampner, not a speed based like a normal shock. So they're soft when around the middle of the travel and tighten up at the ends of their travel. They were on my ShelbyZ when I bought it with about 100 miles on them. They went into the garbage ASAP.

Simon are the Gabriels firmer than a GR-2? I'm going to be looking for shocks for my New Yorker soon as was going to throw on my stock ShelbyZ springs at the same time. Was just going to go with the GR-2's as I had a set on my GLH and they were ok.
    I had a set on the van and they were very firm, not like a Koni of course but nice, then tried a set of GR2's and it was noticeable.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Just to be clear, you are talking about Gabriel Ultras, right?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict

GR-2 lasted less than a year in my Daytona Shelby.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

No matter what you do for the front, i think most people will agree that the Gas-a-just are a good shock at a good price for the rear.

also, we have figured out some other applications with shocks that will work in the back, so you can get other shocks like kyb monomax, some bilsteins, ranchos, etc. I even have some kyb AGXs from a 2g dsm in the rear of my Aries.

As for the front, i think gr-2s are fine. I think i did have one blow after like 20k miles, but when they were new i thought they were pretty good on stock springs. Very controlled. I especially liked that there was almost NO brake dive.

Also, there are ebay auctions where you can get a pair of front GR-2s for $87+shipping. Hard to go wrong , there.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Just to be clear, you are talking about Gabriel Ultras, right?
    Yep,

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 30 PSI SHADOW's Avatar

bilstiens????
    Bill Baker
    NESDAC Pres.
    Rutland,Vermont
    90 Shadow VNT comp 332WHP/390WTQ
    12.26@116MPH-27psi (SOLD)
    89 CSX #269 59k
    83 Rampage T3 11.78@118MPH- 22psi

Quote Originally Posted by 30 PSI SHADOW View Post
    bilstiens????
    There supposed to be good but they are hard to find.