Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help from someone who knows TUs daytona 3" exhaust ASAP PLEASE

Garrett booster

Need help from someone who knows TUs daytona 3" exhaust ASAP PLEASE

I bought a TU cat back kit for my daytona a couple months ago. I finally get a chance to install it and it is not fitting properly. Comparing the pics on TUS website it looks a lot more like an L body kit...G body not so much. I called Chris yesterday and I dont think he really got what I was trying to tell him. He just told me to rotate parts til they fit. Did I get the wrong kit?

What I got...

What I need...

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

L body kit

Last edited by rampant150; 08-18-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: double post

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Need help from someone who knows TUs daytona 3" exhaust ASAP PLEASE

Did you contact TU?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Garrett booster

I called Chris yesterday. He sounded pretty busy and kinda just told me to mess with it.

Garrett booster

Called him again and he says it is the same kit.I think I have figurede out how it goes in as well.

turbo addict

That's a daytona kit. It fit's better if you install it like this. http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/v/Me...haust.jpg.html Otherwise you have to cut, lengthen and rotate bends like this http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/v/Me...+inch+exhaust/ which sucks.

Garrett booster

So you used the long straight piece after the s shaped piece?

Garrett booster

Wow I am just not getting this. Pretty close to hacking it up and making a side exit.

turbo addict

yes, S pipe around the gas tank, then the piece with 1 bend points it up to the top of the axle, cut that pipe to just the right length so then the little s bend will get you the rest of the way over the panhard bar brace and around to the side of the spare tire well.

Garrett booster

That seems like the way to go. Tacking it up now.

The following thread has G-Body exhaust install pictures:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...st-System-Kits

Call me back so I can talk you through it if you are still having problems.

Thanks!

Chri-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Garrett booster

GLHs instructions were the way to go! It was a pain in the a$$ but she is up and running. Thanks for the help.

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

The end result...

Here's another post with more G-Body install pics:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...l=1#post119966

I have installed many of these kits myself right out of the box without issues and I don't consider myself an exhaust technician. As GLHNSLHT2 points out though, there are different ways that it can be done.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    That's a daytona kit. It fit's better if you install it like this. http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/v/Me...haust.jpg.html Otherwise you have to cut, lengthen and rotate bends like this http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/v/Me...+inch+exhaust/ which sucks.
    we did a couple like this, started on my car first doing it with the short pipe on the end. The short S turn pipe doesn't point the right directions and you ned up sectioning it to fit. But it does aim right out the back after the axle. I tried it the way TU says to put it in and the short pipe ends up 30 degree's off. Moved the tank over 2" and dented in the flap and dented in the E brake cable braket trying to get it in there, just no way without cutting it and changing the bend direction. After swapping the 2 pipes the cars get 1 cut and they fit perfect with ZERO hitting or noise with stock hangers even. On Jays car we had to lengthen and change the turn to get it to fit. It has many cuts now till it ended up hard mounted to the body with a flex tube in it. I think we could do it in this order without having a lift in about an hour. I think we both got like 15 hours in the other way lol. It's just that once you start down the road of making the other way fit your commited lol. My convert uses an old TU 3" SV and the whole system with a straight through oval muffler that is like the magnaflow in the sound. Other than the WG flap stuck shut the system is perfect. I normally smooth the SV and this one I just was in a hurry..... Jay should get some photos of the convert some time too add to it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
    we did a couple like this, started on my car first doing it with the short pipe on the end. The short S turn pipe doesn't point the right directions and you ned up sectioning it to fit. But it does aim right out the back after the axle. I tried it the way TU says to put it in and the short pipe ends up 30 degree's off. Moved the tank over 2" and dented in the flap and dented in the E brake cable braket trying to get it in there, just no way without cutting it and changing the bend direction. After swapping the 2 pipes the cars get 1 cut and they fit perfect with ZERO hitting or noise with stock hangers even. On Jays car we had to lengthen and change the turn to get it to fit. It has many cuts now till it ended up hard mounted to the body with a flex tube in it. I think we could do it in this order without having a lift in about an hour. I think we both got like 15 hours in the other way lol. It's just that once you start down the road of making the other way fit your commited lol. My convert uses an old TU 3" SV and the whole system with a straight through oval muffler that is like the magnaflow in the sound. Other than the WG flap stuck shut the system is perfect. I normally smooth the SV and this one I just was in a hurry..... Jay should get some photos of the convert some time too add to it.
    I thought Jay's vehicle was a NewYorker, not a G-Body?

Chris-TU

Garrett booster

I tried installing the short s pipe after the big one. No matter what I had clearance issues. It kept running into the track bar mount, even when i put a piece of pipe in between the two. Once I followed GLHs instructions I no longer had any clearance issues at all.. I put a 3" glasspack up in place of the cat and it sounds great!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    I thought Jay's vehicle was a NewYorker, not a G-Body?

Chris-TU
    It is, but looking under my daytona parked next to it the dimensions are all the same. That's why you can swap suspensions and gas tanks across all the cars.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    It is, but looking under my daytona parked next to it the dimensions are all the same. That's why you can swap suspensions and gas tanks across all the cars.
    You can swap parts but the body's are not the same. I found this out installing one of TU's exhausts on my Dad's '85 T&C wagon. The spare tire compartment is way different from G body to K wagon. I got it to work but I went into it knowing that it wasn't designed for that car. After talking with Chris, we both agreed that these cars are close and he offered to refund my money and take the exhaust back (as long as I didn't cut or modify it) if I couldn't get it to work. Since I'm local and didn't have to worry about shipping it back if it didn't fit I took him up on his offer. He even dropped it off for me. My install is here: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...on-build/page4

A.J.

Hybrid booster

You will need to measure the length you need of the straight pipe with the bend in it, to fit between the s-shaped pipe and the cat. The left over with the bend you may need else where. I got the full system for a g-body and cut what I needed from the straight pipe and used the left over with the bend to connect the s-shaped pipe to the muffler in addition to the pipe with the bend for the rear axle.

turbo addict

The spare tire well is NOT the issue. It's getting up high enough to get over the panhard brace. To do that you either need to run it like I posted in the pic above or add 8" of pipe to the small s bend and rotate the bend on it so it points straight out of the back of the car.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I'm not saying that the spare tire well is the problem. I was using that as an example to not assume the body's are all the same because parts that bolt to the bodies are interchangeable.

A.J.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast