Thread: just installed dsm injectors

Garrett booster

just installed dsm injectors

i was reading a post where people were putting in plus 20% injectors in their turbo dodges with the stock ecu and using an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to decrease their fuel pressure to run them and some poeple said they were running stock fuel pressure (55 psi) and not having any problems. I've had acouple set of dsm injectors layin around for awhile and thought about putting them in before but they look physically shorter so i didn't have an extra fuel rail to modify to make them fit and i figured they would be way too rich at stock fuel pressure. after reading this post i started doing some math on the injectors, stock are 32 or 33 lbs/hr which works out to be 346 cc's/min, 1g auto turbo dsm's are 390 cc/min or 37 lb/hr and 1g manual and 2g's are 450 cc/min or 42 lb/hr. awesome the 450's are plus 20% flow injectors so i thought. I put them in using the mopar fuel injector o-rings and it started right up, sweet. then took it for a ride, a/f guage was running super rich which i expected and my egts where right around 1450-1500 on 20 psi with an electronic boost cut eliminator and a t3/t4. only thing is it missed pretty bad in light boost cause of too much fuel but after 15 psi ripped. I then realized that dsm injectors are rated at 40 some psi of fuel pressure instead of mopars 55 psi. that means they are actually flowing more than 20% then so i took them out and put in my 390's and viola runs perfect. yippie more boost and timing for me and not going lean. you can probably find these at a junkyard cheap or off someone. all mine were free.

so long story short if you don't have the money right away for a cal, map and injectors you can always use some dsm injectors. they bolt right in and run on stock fuel pressure alittle rich though.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: just installed dsm injectors

Did you measure the resistance before you put them in?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbox
    i was reading a post where people were putting in plus 20% injectors in their turbo dodges with the stock ecu and using an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to decrease their fuel pressure to run them and some poeple said they were running stock fuel pressure (55 psi) and not having any problems. I've had acouple set of dsm injectors layin around for awhile and thought about putting them in before but they look physically shorter so i didn't have an extra fuel rail to modify to make them fit and i figured they would be way too rich at stock fuel pressure. after reading this post i started doing some math on the injectors, stock are 32 or 33 lbs/hr which works out to be 346 cc's/min, 1g auto turbo dsm's are 390 cc/min or 37 lb/hr and 1g manual and 2g's are 450 cc/min or 42 lb/hr. awesome the 450's are plus 20% flow injectors so i thought. I put them in using the mopar fuel injector o-rings and it started right up, sweet. then took it for a ride, a/f guage was running super rich which i expected and my egts where right around 1450-1500 on 20 psi with an electronic boost cut eliminator and a t3/t4. only thing is it missed pretty bad in light boost cause of too much fuel but after 15 psi ripped. I then realized that dsm injectors are rated at 40 some psi of fuel pressure instead of mopars 55 psi. that means they are actually flowing more than 20% then so i took them out and put in my 390's and viola runs perfect. yippie more boost and timing for me and not going lean. you can probably find these at a junkyard cheap or off someone. all mine were free.

so long story short if you don't have the money right away for a cal, map and injectors you can always use some dsm injectors. they bolt right in and run on stock fuel pressure alittle rich though.
    Remember though that a flow rate is at a certain pressure. What one set of injectors rates as flow may not be comparable to another set at it's advertised flow because they require a different pressure.

Just keep that in mind.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Garrett booster

no. i cleaned them out and bolted them in. dsm injectors are low impedence or whatever just like dodge.

Garrett booster

yes thats why i stated that i then realized that dsm's fuel pressure is lower than the dodges so their 390cc and 450cc are going tro be more when on the dodges 55 psi

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

HAHAHA. Ops! I missed that one sentence. blast!
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Are the 450cc DSM injectors less exspensive than the 42pph Mopar injectors??? Why are they better?

EDIT: ok i re-read your stuff... so what size are they then?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

no. i cleaned them out and bolted them in. dsm injectors are low impedence or whatever just like dodge.
    Wasn't sure, soooooo in that case, most excellent,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

wow i just looked in the shop manual and stock fuel pressure goes as follows for dsm's

1g 2.0 turbo
    manual=36.3 psi
    auto=42.7 psi

so i did some recalculating and they work out to be this

450cc/min @ 36.3 psi= 553.5cc/min @ 55 psi or 52 lb/hr
    so 450cc's end up being plus 40's

390cc/min @ 42.7 psi= 442.26cc/min @ 55 psi or 42lb/hr
    so 390cc's end up being plus 20's

crazy.

so im going to go to the junkyard and try to scoop a set of these up,basically looking for the equivalent to +20's. so i should look out for an auto 1g turbo eclipse or a manual one and run lower fuel pressure correct?

anyone?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Darkapollo's Avatar

just run the 390's, the 1g turbo injectors.
    and dont bother worrying about the fuel pressure, it seems that they will run just a tad rich at the stock levels.

I was lookin at those on Ebay.. What do they use for the intake side o-ring?

Sweet, I have 4 of those kicking around,

Any chance a DSM would have different injectors? I just got a set at the JY from a car that was definitely a 1G DSM. Manual tranny.. Run the #'s on the injectors and they seem to be looking up as 19lb injectors?! Might have read the numbers wrong. The impedance also seemed awefully high for low-impedance injectors.. What's goin on here?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

^^^ was it a turbo car? if its a na car it will be the lower flow rate....

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

No.. Never seen a turbo DSM at a junkyard.. Great.. Thanks for the important piece of info that wasn't mentioned previously.

turbo addict

I ran into the same thing once. I tried to run some injectors from a DOHC talon engine and thought they would be higher flow rate than turbo 2. boy was I wrong. I ran those about long enough to relize something wasnt right as indicated by a terrible idle.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]