Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SRT swap 98 neon

Mitsu booster

SRT swap 98 neon

Was told I should join here so thought I would move my project log to here as well. Enjoy!!!

Now that my project is officially underway I have decided it is time to start a project log. To begin I have decided to show where I started from the show a step by step to where I am going.

To start with I got my neon back in the spring of '06. A 98 neon highline dohc atx (I was still in high school when I got her and my parents would not let me buy a mtx :blush: ) I started moding and even made it on nopi's web page in the summer of '07.

However I decided to remake her in '08 . However, with advice from friends, this is also when I started running nitrous.

Now everything was fine till I went from a 75 shot to a 100 shot (bad move on my part) and blew the motor. This is also when I decided I wanted to go turbo vs nitrous. Which also ment I had to remove the molded bumper (never mold your body kit).

So while I decided what I was going to do I mounted the SRT intercooler and started redoing the body kit...

Now At this point I have decided officially I am going SRT with my beloved neon. From here on out I am going to be as detailed as I can so if anyone else wishes to do the swap as well they will have a how to starting with the guage cluster....

This is what you will see when you first remove the old guage cluster....

You will knowtest 2 things when you go to put in the SRTs first its to long and second its to tall. To fix this problem you will first need to remove the bottom clips on the cluster to make it fit into the dash. Then you need to cut the dash to fit its length (be careful in doing so if you plan to ever mount a tweeter in the factory location again.

Once in you should have a look similer to this....

Now if you plan on going complete SRT with interior wiring as well you will want to pick up the combination switchs and steering wheel trim. These drop right into the factory location with no modification at all and at least in my opinion look great...

Here is a pic of my interior so far (also note the mtx swap being done as well :grin: )

Will Have lots more coming! :good:

Well today its raining so I cant go outside and work on the car so I figure Ill post a update of what I have been doing....

Like I mentioned in my last post I have started running the wiring...

starting with triming some more from the guage area to make room for the plug

Iv hit a little road block tho with the wiring Iv been going through the fsm for both the neon and the srt however there are connectors not listed as any more then (example) C105 so I need to figure out what exactly they are. If anyone has any listing it would be greatly appreciated.

Also I recieved my srt parking brake and center console which I cant seem to figure out how to get the parking brake bolted down and installed here is the problem Im having...

So that brings me to the end of todays update. My motor should be in within the week so I figured I should repaint the engine bay while I have the opportunity to this is the progress (still need to weld up the crossmember so I have not put down the final paint and clear coat) so here is where I started

Mitsu booster

Re: SRT swap 98 neon

and here is mid progress

Just a update the new motor came in. 2.4 Turbo!

So it has stoped raining and was abile to take a moment to snap two quick pics of the seats before I had to take off to my sisters birthday. I think this takes away some of the "rice" feel.

Cant complain got a great deal for them in my mind $675 for the acrs delivered to my door.

Progress is moving alittle slow at the moment but still right on mark. Looking to be up and running end of month to mid june. Just picked up a SRT wing today.I think it looks much better then my large spoiler!

Please note I am still working on the body kit lol havent had time to really get into it so I figure Ill worry about it after she is running.

Just thought I would give a update just started test fitting the new kit and thought I would post a pic. Hope this takes away from the "rice". Soon as I get everything lines up and painted Ill be adding the APR canards.

Also just got done swaping the rear brakes to rotors in the pooring rain but hey they look much better then my bright red drums lol!

Can't tell me this doesnt look alot better. :grin:

Well power went out at my house this morning so I took the day off to work on my neon's interior.
    Seeing that my carpets color was pretty well shot and nolonger really matched the rest of the interior I decided to dye it.
    Here you can see the difference

and the finished product

This is what I was using.

to be honest I had my doubts about it so I tested it on the rear deck carpet first to check it out and was impressed so I followed with the headliner as well before finishing with the carpet. I personally think it turned out great and only used about 1 1/2 cans to do the floor.

Right now I dont :rofl: seeing the car hasnt started in 2 yrs I sold/traded most of it off for the system in my dd, however there will be soon just not sure yet how extensive I want to go this time around. However with the interior cleaned up Ill go ahead and show some more pics.

Mitsu booster

So this morning I awoke to the sweet sound of the UPS truck!

dss stage 3 axles!!!

No more rice! hello wideband! I was excited as can be when I got home and see it arrived that I just had to share!!!!

Still waiting on everone else to really continue. the welder's service truck is still broke down so the crossmember is still down so I cant get the motor in or finish the wiring the engine bay or finish the paint.... so once thats done car should be running only issue still being worked out is the heat/ac.

Just thought I would share a quick update...

Well today was a nice day to work so I got the power windows/locks/mirrors wired up using the srt harness. Needless to say not half as hard as people had made it out to be. Also I went ahead and painted the front bumper seeing as long as everything stays on track the car should be running by the end of the month!

Please not the bumper is not mounted as I will be needing to pull it back off soon to mount the srt fog lights. Also got the crossmember nuts rewelded so will have the new bolts in this week along with the coilovers hince why the front jacked up and front wheels removed.

Well I have been asked by several about the door wiring, and seeing that I have not seen a detailing on it I will show what it is that needs to be done to keep your power windows/locks/mirrors while still using the srt harness....

First you must trim the door connector to be abile to fit it into the car. I wish I had taken a befor picture but this is what the connector will look like when you are done.

From here I then then spliced the wiring for the mirrors...
    On the right door you will do power wires LG/BK and WT/BK on the first gen to YL on the SRT
    Horizontal motor WT/YL to YL/WT
    Vertical motor YL to DB/WT

and on the left side you will do power wires LG/BK and WT/BK to YL
    Horizontal motor YL/BK to WT/YL
    Vertical motor DB/WT to WT/BK

and as you can see in this picture the movement switch simply bolts right in

From there I moved on to the door locks splicing wires at the door switch
    Right side will be unlock PK/BK to PK/VT and lock will be OR/BK to OR/BK
    Left side will be unlock PK/BK to PK/BK and lock will be OR/BK to OR/BK

And again I just used the SRT lock/unlock switch (as you can see in the pic above with the movement switch) but you can only put one screw in and you will have to check the allignment to make sure you can use the unlock position...

As for the windows I did not get a pic of the connector however you will need to splice...
    Right side down VT to VT and up BR to BR.
    Left side down WT to WT/LB and up LB to LB

and again I simply used the SRT switch however as you will see they do not fit into the switch holder and a custom one will need to be made. Not so much a prob on the passenger side but the driver as far as I can tell is a no go. So this is where u will be till you can get a holder made...

Def will contiue with the updates! :good:

Today was my Christmas in July...

Mopar BOV

Motor mounts with Race Prothane Motor Mount Inserts and Prothane Suspension Bushing Kit

And last but not least my BC Coilover Suspension

So I am very excited and with the motor mounts I went ahead and started to put the motor in....

Ran into a little problem with the front m/m did not trim enough to clear the oil pan... so my friend took it back and trimmed the rest down

Mitsu booster

And finally after 2years the motor is all but in...

this last pic was taken at 12:30am we were all getting tired and have to be up for work in a few hours so we decided to hold off on mounting the transmission untill fri.... just waiting on a few more things and Crystal should be up and running!!!!!

Just a quick update... everything is moving along great! Just got the engine and trans installed along with cleaned up the intercooler and the front body and as of tommorow as long as the weather holds for tommorow I should have the engine fully wired up along with the suspension fully installed. Looking to have the car on the road within the next 30 days. Just to show some some pics of the progress.

However Im still having a problem fitting the hood but Im sure Ill be abile to get this figured out quickly.

About 1 1/2 inches away from closing. :dunno: I cut the X brace in the bulge however that only cleared alittle.

I HATE LIVING IN THE STICKS!!!!! Now that I got that out of my system Ill explain... take a look at this pic

This was the outcome of me trying to take out my peddels so I can get the srt ones modified to work with the cabel clutch and bolt into the car. Why did I pull out the interior to just take the peddels out the bolts are right there up under the dash? :dunno: Well you see I had my hand up there and was unbolting it when I saw something move. Looked, and saw the wiring harness loom and continued... untill it moved again! I jumped out of my car and looked down into my airvent (I dont have the flow things in) and see a wonderful snake looking up at me!!! :shock: So I take the dash apart to try and see if I can get it out after pouring garden lime on it to burn it. Never did find it so I took everything out just to make sure but never could find it.... I just tred closing points I think it may have came it from :dunno: hope not to see it again tho. but after all that is said and done Ill continue with my update....

So thought I would show proof that the hood is now closed (and the interior is back in :good: ) I thought I would take a pic

and also got the coilovers on just need to finish ajusting but it will have to wait till I get the sideskirts on...

Just thought I would share and I want to thank everyone who has been helping me along with this project!

Just started finishing the wiring and getting everything in order for start up just a few small things left. But... WE GOT POWER!!!!!

to be honest I was suprised the HIDs came on the first time after not being turned on for 2 1/2 yrs ardon: So ready to hear her run again.

Just got my new Mishimoto FMIC with 3" piping installed :grin:

And yes I know the bumper is not well in place lol I need to trim alittle to fit with the pipes.

Muffler just came in! Just waiting on my shipment from Modern Performance. Going with a 3inch exhaust... didnt look so big in on the website :grin:

So today was a good day!!! All parts needed to get her moving under her own power are now in so I thought it would be a good time to share...

First brakes all new calibers with Sportstop front and rear drilled and slotted brake also not pictured here but also got a Russell brake line kit

and then I was told this was overkill but def would rather be to much then not enough...

Mitsu booster

Clutchmasters FX400 (Stage IV)

And then the last part, and what many have asked for pics, Mishimoto radiator fan shroud and fan assembly of which I have spliced into the factory SRT harness.

and by the looks of it, its going to be a tight fit to the point I may need to pull the intake manifold to drop the fans in. But we will know for sure tommorow!

Engine bay is fully assembled just need to finish cleaning everything up also thinking of doing a complete wire tuck.

And the last pic at the request of a few is to show just how tight of a fit it truly is for the Mishimoto radiator and fan set up with the swap.

Dropped right in but defiantly glad that I have race motor mount inserts.

Still no gauge cluster, no left front turn signal (however it does light up normal now) and the back lighting for the boost gauge is not working. The only codes I am getting are the following

u110c- No fuel level bus message
    p0499- nvd canister vent valve solenoid circuits high (No emissions installed)
    p1190- tip sensor circuit high
    p0032- o2 sensor 1/1 heater circuit high ---->
    p0038- o2 sensor 1/2 heater circuit high ----> (Missing downstream o2 sensor)

Other then the issues mentioned its turn key and go. Any ideas anyone?

turbo addict

looks good, welcome.

I like the dash pad/pod thing. did you make that?
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Damn, you did alot of work, congrats,

Did you use the SRT4 wiring harness? or just parts of it? Are you using the SRT computer?

That engine looks brand new,

What engine mounts did you use?

Not a fan of body kits but that doesn't look too bad.

You said your a model,
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 11-27-2010 at 03:26 PM.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

I have seen the car its a 98 with all SRT-4 engine and electronics in it everything.........

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Damn, you did alot of work, congrats,

Did you use the SRT4 wiring harness? or just parts of it? Are you using the SRT computer?

That engine looks brand new,

What engine mounts did you use?

Not a fan of body kits but that doesn't look too bad.

Thank you very much! To answer your questions it has SRT4 wiring form front to rear along with computer. As for the engine it is a brand new crate motor 0 miles ftw. and the motor mounts Mopar performance with race prothane inserts.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Cool project! I thought I saw this build on wvmotorsports.com, what part of WV are you from?

Mitsu booster

Last edited by wvneon98; 12-19-2014 at 08:21 AM.

turbo addict

Looks good. While the WW kit is the best of the body kits for neons, stock with fog bumper would look cleaner.

Mitsu booster

Last edited by wvneon98; 12-19-2014 at 08:23 AM.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wvneon98 View Post
    You very well could have. I am located in fairmont.
    Very cool, I grew up in Morgantown and one of best friends lives in Fairmont. Next time I'm Fairmont maybe I could check out your ride in person.

Mitsu booster

Last edited by wvneon98; 12-19-2014 at 08:25 AM.

turbo addict

Hey that is an awesome swap.. I love seeing these first gens with this swap. I've heard of excellent fuel mileage in the stock SRT'4s let alone the first gen, not that your swap had anything to do with that, but I'm curious if they do any better. I never did understand why the 2.0 never came with a turbo option, but hey you did a helluva of work and it shows. That is a HUGE intercooler. What kinda boost you plan on running?

Thank you very much! To answer your questions it has SRT4 wiring form front to rear along with computer. As for the engine it is a brand new crate motor 0 miles ftw. and the motor mounts Mopar performance with race prothane inserts.
    Thanks. What mount adapters did you use?

No modeling pics, lol.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Mitsu booster

Last edited by wvneon98; 12-19-2014 at 08:26 AM.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Thanks. What mount adapters did you use?

No modeling pics, lol.
    Haha, the user said Moding. Not Modeling.

I started moding and even made it on nopi's web page in the summer of '07.

Just used a mpx 2.4 adapter.

As for the modeling pics I have no idea what you are talking about
    Hahahaaha, my bad, thought it said modeling and Nopi,

Plus saw this pic-

What is moding?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast