Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone run a 3" exhaust system?

Anyone run a 3" exhaust system?

I've been thinking of running a 3" exhaust system, but I read in a post on here they sit kinda low. Anyone got a pic of their car with a 3" system?

Mitsu booster

Re: Anyone run a 3" exhaust system?

There used to be people running them. I think the biggest concern ever is clearance around the rear axel and gas tank rather than how low it really sits. I could be wrong these days though..

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Even that isnt a big deal provided you either buy an exhaust kit OR you have some build you one that is familiar with our cars, etc.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

boostaholic

I have a 3" on my Shelby Daytona and have no problems at all untill you hit a speed bump or pot hole at a decent speed then the track bar hits the exhaust. Also when there is a load in the car 4 people and a hatch full of groceries

Hybrid booster

Mine rattles on the Spirit R/T. It hits the little lip on the fuel tank.

Mike

turbo addict

I run 3" side exit with Eibachs and Koni's. Even over the largest speed bumps my exhaust doesn't scrape sitting below the ground f/x.

Mitsu booster

I know FWD Performance has the 3" cat-back, but I don't know anything about the fit. I DO know, that I've had exhaust shop guys here tell me they're impressed by my 2.5", but they would not attempt to put a 3" on them if I requested it.

yeah I've been eyeing up the fwdp kit, but still kinda chewing on that idea. Does it run where the stock exhaust went or did they route it differently?

turbo addict

it should run exactly as the factory did and start from right where the Cat would have been. I was just working on installing mine from fwd performance today, and its tight. I bent the lip of the gas tank with a hammer for more room, but I have custom rear springs that are 5"ID instead of tapering to the top mounts, and I have new 5" adjustable top mounts. For my setup I will have to put some more work in because it did not come w/ hangers and I was doing it with only 2 hands. I got it close, and will get another pair of hands to help get it so it doesn't bind the suspension and I may need some padding so it doesn't rattle. Probably just wrap that section w/ header wrap so it will keep the heat off the gas tank and dull the rattle.

Mine is not a good example because of non stock rear suspension, and its a tight fit for me.

Hybrid booster

Anyone run a 3" exhaust system?
    I think there may be a slight preference to "Who doesn't run a 3" exhaust system" on this site.. but I could be wrong.

Does it run where the stock exhaust went or did they route it differently?
    Basically the only difference is the size. It is meant to bolt up in the stock location.

You guys ever think of using something to pad the metals from hitting. I think a sturdy fireproof material would be perfect. However I haven't put a lot of thought into it and I don't know what you could use that would be fireproof. In the past I have used a peice of tube rubber tied to the frame to pad it from the annoying exhaust clank.

Hybrid booster

i run a 3" on one of my 89 tona shelbys.. rattles around the back axle a bit, kinda of annoying... but soon that'll all change when i upgrade to a 3" mandrel bent set up. i'm gonna load the part where it goes over the axle with heat wrap so it wont be so annoying...

Mitsu booster

I would have run the 3" exhaust, but I didn't know better when I spent the money on mine, and we (along with the installer) knew 2.5" was going to be safe since that's what came off the engine.

I now have the 3" downpipe into a Catco 3" in to 2.5" out. When the time comes to spend money on exhaust again, I will go 3" all the way back.

turbo addict

The FWDP 3" system does not hang very low at all. A competent exhaust shop can get it to fit wonderfully. Here's 2 pics of my R/T with a 3" system, you can't tell it's there until you get down and look for it. I wish I had a better pic of the custom hanger made where the pipe goes over the axle. It is attached to the panhard rod mount, is U shaped and holds the pipe clear of everything.

“If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Thanks for the pic, looks great. I'll probably be going with the fwd-p kit later this summer. I can't imagine a local shop bending one for cheaper plus I'd have to pay install charges, so nah.

".....plus I'd have to pay install charges,......."

the 3" FWD Perf. catback kits are very nice, but, are not bolt in...at least that's mine and other L-body owner's experience, the system required quite a bit of adjustment to fit perfectly under an omni. and no it is not low-hanging at all, if done right. you will need a good muffler guy/equipment.

if you want the best mod for any TD: its a full 3" exhaust.

turbo addict

Better question to ask is "Anyone doesn't run a 3" exhaust system"

I have a 3 inch downpipe and cut out on my Daytona Shelby, 2.5inch swing valve to 3 inch everything on my 85 GLH.

Garrett booster

My 3in SS exhaust never hits anything, even on BIG bumps! However my exhaust was custom fabricated mandrel elbows. . .

I've always just done my own header/exhaust system installs in my old mopars, but never anything as new as the 80's. One thing I've found is that a big C clamp is your friend. Put your pipe in it, sometimes with a couple small blocks of wood and crank down on the clamp. You'd be surprised how well it works when you need that lil extra clearance.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mpgmike

Mike

Loosen the gas tank and move it over, you can gain around 1/2 to 3/4 of in ch that way.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

As for cost, I had a local guy install a new 3" Catco high flow cat, 3" stainless steel high flow straight through muffler, then connect everything with 3" 409 stainless for $385 with tax. This is on our '91 Spirit R/T.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast