Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: The smurf

turbo addict

Re: The smurf

New intercooler from siliconeintakes.com. First impressions, not the highest quality piece but for the price it's acceptable. It doesn't look like it will leak or anything.

Compared to a stock I/C. The new one is 3.5" thick compared to 3" of the stock one.

turbo addict

I'm basically going to use the intercooler to tie the top support and core support together. Then I am going to get some sheet metal and block all the areas that air can flow around the I/C and radiator. Preliminary mockup.

turbo addict

Smoothed out the oil feed hole a little bit. Didn't go crazy with it. Once I get the torque plate from cindy it's off to the machine shop.

- - - Updated - - -

Blocked the BS feed hole.

turbo addict

I had a hell of a time getting this last bit of dipstick tube out of the block.

I may or may not put this to use.

turbo addict

Oil coolers are something I believe should be mandatory on any turbo engine. The only thing that worries me about these sandwich water/oil ones is if it leaks between the systems. It doesn't matter which way it leaks...either would be BAD! Having said that...I don't think that's too big of an issue. I have only seen a few rotted through heat exchangers in properly maintained systems.

turbo addict

I have only seen 1 oil-water cooler fail. That was in a Cummins. I like them for the fact that they warm the oil to operating temp much faster. This one was removed from a 3.8l minivan. There must be a reason that most OEM oil coolers are oil-water. I'm not sure if cost plays a role. My old neon leaked oil in the coolant and ( but coolant never went into the oil) it never had any issues. My theory is that oil runs at a much higher pressure so it will go into coolant and not vice versa.

turbo addict

Right, the oil system does operate at a higher pressure, but when the engine isn't running the coolant system is at a higher pressure. So when the engine isn't running the coolant has the opportunity to leak into the oil. Because of liquid surface tension and such this may or may not actually happen (pending the size of the hole, too).

I would think that the cost of engineering a whole separate system to deal with oil cooling is much more costly to develop than increasing the already present cooling system capacity and the making the heat exchanger.

turbo addict

I thought that too. When you turn the engine off the cooling system still has pressure so it should go in the oil but it never did in my neon. The cap was fine so it did hold pressure.

turbo addict

Intercooler mounted up for good. Fits perfectly with the grille. The center grille tab just barely touches the IC. The top rad support is solid as a rock now too.

turbo addict

That looks good!

turbo addict

Got my block and rods back from the machine shop. I fitted the rings but put some small marks on a cylinder wall. I wonder if I should do a quick hone.

turbo addict

Bottom end is assembled.

Did the later common block turbo engines come with a oil distribution block like the old ones? Mine won't fit because it's smaller.

Mitsu booster

Like the build! I too am using the honda radiator, and my intercooler is similar, only "xs power". That little car should be a blast. If you wind up needing a distribution block, I have one from an 89 2.5t I could let go for shipping. Keep up the good work

Mitsu booster

Here is a pic of mine, I know my sensor on the right is 1/8NPT, dwarfed by the block's inlet. Having a hard time with pics- does this pic help? http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/im...8&type=profile

turbo addict

It's starting to look like an engine.

My oil feed fitting is too small for the oil block I found in my shed. Is there an adapter or something I can run? I tried unscrewing that but I'm pretty sure it's part of the block. Or will the feed line reach another hole maybe? I haven't tried that.

turbo addict

I think this will work fine.

turbo addict

More or less how the turbo drain is going to sit.

turbo addict

So I finally after months of being lazy grabbed the engine crane from work so I can install my flywheel and clutch and drop the engine in the car. I get the engine in the air and I was about to put the flywheel on when I noticed how very little amount of threads there were. I then searched on here and found out mtx cars have longer damn flywheel bolts than the auto cars (this engine was in an auto daytona). Needless to say I'm not very happy right now lol. Going to go to my work tomorrow and see what the ETA is on some flywheel bolts if they are even available.

turbo addict

Had to remove the swinvalve to get the engine in the car but one of the bolts snapped .

turbo addict

Getting somewhere.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast