Page 46 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chargers quest for 9's

turbo addict

Re: The Chargers quest for 9's

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Funny you should mention, I thought the exact same thing when I looked at the plugs, Didn't I index those????? lol I always mark my plugs for index, but the last couple years have been mish-mash and I'm guessing they went in just before SDAC and we all know how much of a rush that was!

Trim the ground straps, not sure what your talking about there? Expose the electrod more by cutting back the strap?

I trimed the corner of my head years ago when I was running the hybrid. I made a wind in "plug" out of a bolt so it could go in flush to the head. Those marks line up perfect as if the stud was in the head and the flush plug got screwed in and bottomed on the stud.

Only thing that doesn't figure is the studs would have had to be in up side down to get marked where they are? + two of them are marked, but this is the third H/G so who knows, maybe the bro wound them in up side down and didn't notice the hex in one end?

Look closley at the 2nd one and tell me that doesn't look like the end of a 15mm bolt bottomed up to it.

Actually, I just looked at the pics again and they do Not look like what I'm thinking. Will have to investigate this further in morning.
    Yes, by trimming the ground strap I do mean exposing more of the electrode.

what do you use to index your plugs? I did 2 sets in a row with absolutely NO issue, but this last set I had one of them that I could NOT get to index, at least not with what I had to work with. I ended up using another plug gasket to get it more to where I wanted, but it's still of a good 30*.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Its an old hotrodding trick, you grind the electrode back to expose more spark per say, or you can buy some Autolite AR51's, which are already done. I honestly didn't notice any difference running them except faster wear though.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

I don't like Autolite and I don't see the point in paying $4/plug when I can do the same thing myself for $2.25/plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I don't like Autolite and I don't see the point in paying $4/plug when I can do the same thing myself for $2.25/plug.
    Nothing wrong with Autolite but it still doesn't really do anything,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Yes, by trimming the ground strap I do mean exposing more of the electrode.

what do you use to index your plugs? I did 2 sets in a row with absolutely NO issue, but this last set I had one of them that I could NOT get to index, at least not with what I had to work with. I ended up using another plug gasket to get it more to where I wanted, but it's still of a good 30*.
    Back in the day (about 26 years ago, did I just say that? lol) I bought some washers that were specifically made for indexing plugs (5 thou, 8 thou, ect) I seem to remember them being at any speed shop. Are they no longer available?

I seem to remember on the Charger that I didn't need the though. I would just mark my line on the ceramic of the plug and wind the plug in and see where it stopped without crush. I seem to remember the last set of NGK's indexed almost perfectly by doing this and then crushing the gasket a little more on some than others.

On Autolites; After the $hit I've seen on other ppls mtrs I would NEVER run autolites in the Charger!

We had an Iroc R/T show up to the shop 5 years ago that had a break-up problem at 45-4700 rpm. Owner had exhausted all effort trying to find the problem. I took a 15 min look over everything and pulled the plugs to see what I could see. The plugs looked like they were burning at 2 or 3 different heat ranges?

I put in a set of Champion 9yc's and that was the end of the break up issue. When I asked the owner Why he put Autolites in, he said he read it on the net! lol

This is where I don't get it. Champions have run 100% perfect in the Charger and I've only switched over to NGK's in the last couple years and they work just as well! Why do ppl screw with what works? All the stories I've heard about how $hitty Champions are and I'm having No issues at 38 psi and 480WHP! (4 years ago)

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Just got back fron ER....Again! Seems we jumped the gun on Jacquie "feeling better" and she's back to were she was Monday night when I drove her in. Hopefully they can get this figured out, but I'm on the fence until they do.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

I found indexing them does make the idle smoother.

Sorry about your wife,

Hybrid booster

It's great reading about your weekend and your journey in the Charger; keep it up, Rob!

Also, sorry to hear about your wife; my thoughts are with her, hope everything gets resolved quick!

Wishing you guys all the best.

turbo addict

Sorry to hear Jacquie is back at the hospital; hope she can get over this soon. She was great to hang with at SDAC.

Well, they tried 2 different medications with no positive results. How hard should it be for a hospitol to find out What medication was given to her by another hospitol (50 miles away) 3 days ago????? WT?

Whatever was given to her on Monday worked for about 24hrs, then back to this. Anyway, brought her back home and going to see the neurologist tomorrow morning at the HSC. (same hospitol I took her to Monday)

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    Sorry to hear Jacquie is back at the hospital; hope she can get over this soon. She was great to hang with at SDAC.
    I was going to say, for anyone who didn't meet her at SDAC, I could introduce you to her right here, right now.

When I ran the Charger last wknd I figured (with everything else that I had to do) that would be it for this year. Just wanted to get out and confirm that things have gotten better. When I couldn't run Sunday that threw a bit of a wrench into the plan and (because I said I was only going to run this one wknd) I think everyone around me, including my brother expects me Not to run. So much so that I actually feel guilty thinking about running.

So I asked Jacquie what she thought. Am I being selfish and self centered if I run again? Ya know what she says? Run! I Want to see you run! I didn't get to see you run on the wknd and I wanted to. If I knew I wouldn't see you run on Sunday I would have came Saturday. It's not being selfish.........Run!

Just about broke down when I heard that..........

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

turbo addict

I think they still sell the washers. I was just curious how you went about it. You and I do the EXACT same thing actually! LOL It's just this *1* plug that I could not get it where I wanted it this time around. Oh well...

I'm hoping your wife gets better! I understand what you are going though to a point. My finace (soon to be wife) also has medical issues. I know for a fact she would support me the same as your wife supports you! They both have HUGE hearts! My best wishes for you both!

Garrett booster

Run the thing. I'm going to try to run Sunday and good things happen when we run on the same weekends

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Run the thing. I'm going to try to run Sunday and good things happen when we run on the same weekends
    That's for sure! Was a blast coming on and seeing you knock another tenth off on the same wknd AND what a 60'! You still on 24's?

And as if the first conversation that I posted wasn't enough. (and Jacquie has No idea I'm posting this) I just sat down in the bedroom to go over what's prob going to happen tomorrow at the hospitol, that they're prob going to keep her for a couple days, and without hesitation, the first thing out of her mouth. "Don't "not run" just because they're keeping me! Go and run the car, I want you to achieve your goals. If I can't be there get Doug to film it, but promiss me you'll go!" Then she reaches into her purse and gives me the gate fee!

I have to say, I honestly can't say what I'm doing. (cause I don't know how tomorrow is going to go) but if it's at all possible I'll be running on Sat. I'm just hoping by some miricle Jacquie could be there to see it!

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

turbo addict

That's for sure! Was a blast coming on and seeing you knock another tenth off on the same wknd AND what a 60'! You still on 24's?

And as if the first conversation that I posted wasn't enough. (and Jacquie has No idea I'm posting this) I just sat down in the bedroom to go over what's prob going to happen tomorrow at the hospitol, that they're prob going to keep her for a couple days, and without hesitation, the first thing out of her mouth. "Don't "not run" just because they're keeping me! Go and run the car, I want you to achieve your goals. If I can't be there get Doug to film it, but promiss me you'll go!" Then she reaches into her purse and gives me the gate fee!

I have to say, I honestly can't say what I'm doing. (cause I don't know how tomorrow is going to go) but if it's at all possible I'll be running on Sat. I'm just hoping by some miricle Jacquie could be there to see it!
    I don't "pray" per-se, but

Finally got back from town (hospitol) after 13 hrs! Saw the neurologist + a couple others. Ended up doing a spinal tap and I had a front row seat.

Can't complain too much as the wife took it like a champ. Man, I was thinking "headache or no headache, someone says spinal tap and I'm hittin the road"!

Prob the first time I really thought about Just how painfull this has been for her, she didn't even flinch at the suggestion of spinal tap.

After that things got a little comical and I got to play "Doctor rob"! The docs were all trying to figure out what they were going to give her for the pain and they kept bringing up Morphine. (wife Does Not tolerate Morphine) So they're trying to figure this out and I say (prob the 10th time I brought it up) hey, what about the stuff they gave her Monday night/Tuesday morning? That did seem to be the Only thing that has been given to her that helped. "Ya, why don't we try that" I'd only been sugesting it since we showed up! lol

Anyway, I hung around the whole time and got to bring her home and This time they actually gave her a prescrirtion for the drug she was on while there which worked. (again)

She's doing alot better but we'll see over the next couple days how things go. Now I just need to get up the energy to get into the shop and put the rest of the Charger together!

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

turbo addict

I'm glad things seemed to go well for you and your wife. I know all too well how stressful this stuff can be! I wish both of you the best on that!

Now....that being said....GET OUT TO THE SHOP! LOL

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Glad they listened to Dr. Rob and the medicine is working!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Best of luck; Rob. Hope the wife gets better fast!

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

The real Q, Did I manage to un-nerve James enough that he was too to respond, or did he sniff out the BS right from the go?
    Actually, I saw you posted in the TM Times Thread, I see you changed your sig, then I never saw you change it again with the new better time. Also, thought the one way lock on the TB was a little crazy, BUT, I know a guy that actually did that before....no joke. Also thought it was a little wierd that you just BARELY went more MPH than me and a tad more ET. LOL Good one though!

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Good joke! I saw the 10.69 in the update thread so thought you might be out to make some fun with that post and didnt want to say anything
    x2!

Blew the H/G right out of the driver side of the head, right above the trans. Damn, just a H/G! Dodged another one.
    This is exactly where I blew 2 headgaskets when I was attempting to run head studs.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    In the time it took you to type all that, you could have replaced the head gasket
    LOL.....sad but true! We've gotten all too good at this!

This is where I don't get it. Champions have run 100% perfect in the Charger and I've only switched over to NGK's in the last couple years and they work just as well! Why do ppl screw with what works? All the stories I've heard about how $hitty Champions are and I'm having No issues at 38 psi and 480WHP! (4 years ago)
    Same here. Champions and NGK's seem to work perfect.

Hope your wife is doing better! Hope you get to make it to the track when she is better!

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's