Page 47 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chargers quest for 9's

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Re: The Chargers quest for 9's

I did manage to make it to the track on Saturday. The Wife came along (prob shouldn't have as she was not really feeling up to it) and Brent showed up around noon. They started way late 12:30 I think and the head wind was so strong that they were only running 1/8th mile.

I didn't realize this on my first run so I put the Charger through the gears all the way down the track, got my time slip and was like WTF? The printer must has screwed up and cut of the bottom line where it shows your 1/4 mile?

When I got back to the pit Brent set me straight and I almost wanted to get my money back as I didn't pay to go 1/8th mile. I quickly reconcidered though (realizing that I had to hook this thing in the 1/8th if I was going to have Any chance of ever running 9's with it) and proceeded to make the best of it.

Brents biggest concern was IF I hooked into something crazy, I would not have the 1/4 mile slip to show how fast the car went. After all, the fastest FWD in MB is still that 10.50 $90,000.00 700WHP Honda that we've been chasing for the last couple years and Brent was really hoping we could go inside of 10.50 and take him out!

Now the Charger has never seen a 6.xx anything 1/8th mile. My fastest 1/8th was on my 10.69 pass last wknd and I think it was 7.02. So my goal was to go inside of 7.00 in the 1/8th for starters.

After a couple of passes I had beat my 7.02 with a 7.00 (big wippy!) and I go to stage and the light screws up or something and goes red while I'm still on the two step? The track tech waves me to go and I granny walk the Charger down the track blowing that run.

So I decide to hotlap the car and I get staged again and this time the F'in wind blows me out of staging just as the trees about to fall and I blow that run!!!!

So now I'm actually a little frustrated and because I just walked the Charger down the last two passes I line up for a third, but before I do I get brent to knock the slicks down to 8.5lbs (from 9) Now I had dropped my two step to 5200rpm (from 5600) and was cutting mid 1.6 60's with 9psi in the slicks (track wasn't hooking as good as the previous Saturday)

So I stage, and this time I use my staging brake to hold me there so I don't get blown out again and lauch the car to a massive BoGGGG! Now that just pissed me off, so I decide to take it out on the car and I put my right foot down and flatshift every gear! Damn, it was like slicing butter, I couldn't believe how well the car shifted.

So the day is getting late, really haven't accomplished anything and I'm ending my season after this without having a chance to even run the 1/4. I up the two step back to 5600rpm and drop another 1/2lb out of the slicks. Stage, launch and BOGGGG....Again!!!!

Damn! All I can think of is how I destroyed the 26" slicks in 2nd gear on the 10.69 pass and that I'm going to have to be able to launch with less air in them IF I was to hook 2nd gear. So I up the two step too 5800rpm and go back out on 8.5lbs and let'er rip! I cut a 1.69 60', go 4.68 to the 330' and finish with a 6.99 @ 105.63mph 1/8th. Funny, this pass was only 100th faster than my 7.00, but it didn't seem like it. It was like I dropped into another time zone! lol

So they anounce that the track is closing in 3 min and out of desperation I tell Brent to drop another 1/2lb out of the slicks. So I rush up to staging, hot car and all and do a real good burnout. I launch at 5800rpm and hook into a 1.64 60', go 4.58 to the 330' (new PB) and finish with a 6.88 @ 106.4 mph (new PB).

Damn! Nailed it on my last pass! So, $hitty day, but I just knocked about 1 1/2 tenths off my best 1/8th mile time. Brent looks at me and says "tell me your going to run tomorrow"! Well, I didn't really plan on it. All he sees is a 10.4x in that 1/8th mile slip and a chance to be the fastest fwd in MB again. We load up the car and head back to the family cabin. (15 min from the track)

Now they were calling for it to be even hotter on Sunday 27 deg C compared to 25 on Sat, so I'm thinking there is going to be a vicious south (head) wind again and what if they only run 1/8th mile?

So I watch the news and now they're calling for 25 deg C and winds in the 19km/hr range, so I'm thinking it's one more day and I can't race around here after that anyway. + Jacquie wasn't really feeeling up to the ride home in the 3/4 ton with the trailor anyhow.

So we decide to stay the night and see what the morning brings, a decision that I will embrace for the rest of my life..........To be continued when I've had some sleep!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo2point2's Avatar

Congrats on the new PB. That is if it actually happened

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

Quote Originally Posted by turbo2point2 View Post
    Congrats on the new PB. That is if it actually happened
    Well ya'know what they say, "The only thing stranger than fiction".............

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

K, awake, not totally rested, but this is going to be long, so I might as well get started. Got a couple hrs sleep at the cabin Sat night (this is a good thing) and then lay awake in bed from about 3:00am till I got up at 7:00am. Just kept thinking of what the day would be like and what I Knew I had to do. I didn't think of having any problem replicating the 6.88 1/8th mile run. He!! The charger went two tenths faster last Sat. Just knocked another 1 1/2 tenths off the 1/8th mile yeasterday, and I'm Just starting to get use to Really driving the car! I'm gonna go out and Destroy that 6.88!!!!!!!

Well I get up and take a look outside and it's Dead calm! No way! Been buckin a headwind for the last couple years at the track, could this finally be the day!

I get to the track and Brents on his way from WPG. Jacquie stayed at the cabin (although she really wanted to be there) to relax and get some nice quiet downtime. Get the car ready, through tech and I'm getting ready to stage. 8.0 psi in the slicks, launch control at 5800 rpm, lined up in my "honey" lane, the Right one! And all of a sudden they wave the Motion car in and put him in My right lane and put me in the left. (some say the left hooks better, but I've never seen a 1.6 anything out of that lane in the Charger!)

Damn, gonna make the best of it anyways, so I do my burnout and stage. Light comes down and away I go! I think I grannied the 1-2, maybe the 2-3 but I blow 4th gear and go 11.30 @ 121mph........

60'---1.75 (see what I mean about the left lane!)
    330'--4.83
    1/8---7.15 @ 103.69mph
    1/4---11.30 @ 121.29

I hit the return road and get my slip, look over at the pits and Brents not there yet. So I decide to hot lap the car and there's only two cars ahead of me in the lanes.

This time I GET the RIGHT lane!!!!! Second gear burnout of the limiter. No data logging today! (can't afford the distraction) I stage beside a fellow Mopar (70's Duster/Dart, I felt kind of bad about this ) I mash my foot to the floor and go on the first hint of the last yellow. I think I flat shifted 1-2? 2-3 for sure, but I granny 3-4, but it feels good! I look at my boost gauge and it's showing about 35psi on the pin! AFR's are mid 11's!

I get my timeslip, thinking that was a better feeling run than the 10.69 from last Saturday and for the first time Ever at the track I SHOCKED! 10.45 @ 136.77mph! On my second pass!!!(really my first, if you wanna talk about clean passes)

Holly $hit! I head back to the pit to let'er cool down after two hotlap passes and I see my bro Brent who just got there and I ask him (with a grin from ear to ear) if he saw that last pass? "you already ran?" Check it out! 10.45! He freaks!!!!!!!! Starts texting it out that the Charger is once again THE FASTEST FWD in MANITOBA!!!!!!

I get out of the car and tell him, that's nothing, I'm going ten 30's today! (as the next barrier is THE FASTEST 4CYL (AWD, RWD or FWD) which is 10.38!

60'-----1.66
    330'----4.60
    1/8-----6.87@107.42
    1/4-----10.45@136.77mph

Guess I should add a pic so I'm not the boy who cried wolf anymore.........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1210.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	34369  
    Last edited by Shadow; 10-03-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

So there we were, 10.45 on the second pass and I was still peeling the tires through 2nd gear! The Charger was making 35psi with no other change but the HG, so I'm thinking that was how much cyl leakage I was getting before it blew. + my AFR's were 10.8-11.2 last Saturday and I was going to lean it out on Sunday, but the H/G blew before I could make any changes. Good thing, cause now my AFR's were mid to high 11's, again, with no other change but H/G!

So now with Brent there I get him to check the slicks (they had increased in pr from heat and got him to reajust to 8.0psi) I get a really good burnout, let it drag the car almost to the staging lights. Right lane again, I launch and cut a 1.64 60' (1.63 is my PB) and Nail the 1-2 shift and go 4.53 to the 330'!!!! (my New PB by .07) I hit the 2-3 and 3-4 without issue and go 6.80 @ 108.14mph 1/8th and 10.36 @ 137.19! On my third pass!!!

So now I have the whole day to beat a 10.36 with a car that I have been dying to be in this position with. I have all the fuel delivery in the world, running way more octain than I need and a turbo that I know will go 45psi All Day Long!!!!!!!! Stay tuned........

Name:	IMG_1213.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	34370  

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Congrats on the new PB's and glad the car is working better now!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Stay tuned........
    I'm hoping that means it went faster yet!? Anybody ever tell you yer long winded? LOL

...keep the story coming

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Rob, cliff notes are your friend, LMAO. :;

Anyhow, congrats on the fastest 4 banger in Manitoba,

What fuel do you run?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Sorry if these posts seem broken as I've been fielding phone calls and emails all morning and and trying to get this info out in as much detail as I can and as fast as I can.

So my next couple runs go 10.57@135.99 granny shifting and trying to shift at lower rpm and 10.43@137.23. I'm thinking the car is consistant enough for me to start upping the boost each run and see what happens.

I add some duty across the bourd and go 10.36 @ 137.67 with very close 60' and 330' as my previous 10.36 but 1/2mph high trap. so I add a little more duty and they close the staging lanes for lunch.

Car gets a nice cool down (I've been hot lapping it just twice all day) That is, I go two runs in a row and then let it cool off and it doesn't seem to be bothering anything.

We take lunch and I'm thinking they're going to start brkts after the break and I'm running out of time! I add even more duty to the boost controller and I tell Brent to drop the slicks to 7 3/4 psi. (I also pay the extra 25.00 to upgrade from heavy street class (11.50 ET limit) to Sportsman where I can dial ahead and chase my times! (this turned out really well!)

So I get Brent to write a 10.30 dial on the windshield and I line up for first round. Turns out the minty and very mean looking Dart in the left lane red lights so it's a freebee run for me and I cut a 10.30 @ 138.86mph on my 10.30 dial! lol Man could this really get any better?

I look at brent and tell him the car is going 10,20's TODAY!

Name:	IMG_1211.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	34371  

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Rob, cliff notes are your friend, LMAO. :;

Anyhow, congrats on the fastest 4 banger in Manitoba,

What fuel do you run?
    Q-16, not because I ever needed that much octain, but EXACTLY because of what happened Sunday. I knew the day would come (believed it anyways) when I would get the car dialed in and DRIVE the car. IF I was running a lesser fuel I would worry about how far I could take things on that day. That Day ended up being Sunday and as I said to every person watching us at the track as I began upping the boost each run (cause they kept asking me how far I would go?) I will run this turbo to 45psi today IF I have the time. I have all the fuel and octain I need and This is the day I've been waiting for to do it!

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    ...keep the story coming
    Believe it or not I'm pumping it out as fast as I can!

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

So far so awesome Rob That makes 5 TMs this weekend that threw down PBs. I checked and the planets still aren't supposed to align for quite a few days. Hmmmm, something must be going on here.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Wow. Great times all around for everyone. This has been a great read.

K, I'm back, now where was I? Ah, the 10.30 run. So I stick to the plan and I'm actually thinking I could get the hang of this bracket racing. I add more duty to the boost controller and I get Bren to drop the slicks another 1/4lb. Actually starting to get pretty low on fuel now! (not sure if there's any at the track?)

I get Brent to errase the 10.30 dial and change it to 10.25 but when I get called up for round two, I'm the odd man out and they give me the buy run!

Now I don't know what most ppl do with a buy run, but I'm obviously going all out....right? I do a real good smoky burnout and the car goes sideways as one of the rear calipers slips a bit. I think the tech thought I broke something as he was looking under the car.

I stage and hit the gas, tree drops and this is where fiction turns the corner and Only truth can be stranger! Get this, I cut a 1.56 60' and go 4.47 to the 330!!!!! (both PB's by a mile!) the dowside is I granny the 3-4 shift and slow down to 107.70mph in the 1/8th going 6.74(compared to my 108.94 going 6.79 from my 10.30 run) and go 10.28 @ 138.94mph on my 10.25 dial.

The anouncer sounded surprised to Brent and anounced (like it was surprising to see) that that car just went 10.28 on a 10.25 dial on a BUY run!!!!!

I got a chance to stare at the boost gauge on that run and also the AFR's (didn't see the drive preasure ) boost was 37psi and afr's were 11.7's! Beutifull!

Name:	IMG_1212.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	34372  

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Wow. That's pretty fast.

So there we are in the pits, deciding wether to drop the dial to 10.20 flat (if I would have taken a good look at my last two time slips I would have prob gone 10.15!) and I'm adding more duty to the boost controller and I get Brent to drop another 1/4lb out of the slicks. (at this point everyone looking on must think I'm Mad) but I tell them that this is exactly what I've been waiting for, the mtr owes me nothing X infinity and I'm going to keep adding boost till something lets go or I run out of time!

Second or third last round and I'm actually thinking I could go 10 teens and take home some money to boot! (till someone tells me it's only trophy?)

I get staged against a 9.90 car, but I've been dead nuts lucky with the lane choise and I get the right lane! We cut a practically identicle reaction and I'm a few lengths behind at the 330'. I start to pull on him in 3rd and I WOT the 3-4 and MISS 4th!!!! I slow down to an 11.23 @ 112.44mph and watch him coast to the win.

Damn, really didn't want to go out like that! I was having a blast and I would have much rather lost on a race that was looking like IF I would have nailed 4th it would come right down to the wire!

Now I could have lined up in the test lane and hoped to get a couple more runs in, but I was done! I mean WHAT A DAY!!!!!! I was happy with the 10.36!!!! and the car Never skipped a beat! Never broke and axel even on the last two runs that were 1.56 and 1.59 60' respectively!

Name:	IMG_1214.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	34373  

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Dont under estimate the old 8 valves
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    What he said!

Wow! Just Wow!

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

turbo addict

Sweet!

Garrett booster

Nice! And you said i had a good 60 foot time

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    what Warren said.

awesome just awesome

I bet the wife forgot all about her pain.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    Holy sh!t balls!!!! Absolutely awesome job Rob! OK you deserve one more of these.....
    Alright, this time for real.