Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My 69 Corvette 427bb

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Re: My 69 Corvette 427bb

Quote Originally Posted by 54inches View Post

muahahahahahaha...you're kidding right...hahahahah!!!!!
    Show me any LS engine running 5s in the 1/4 and I'll jump on the bandwagon.

It's like saying the new hemi is far superior over the old 426. Even though it has more modern technology in it, it hasn't proven itself to be superior.

I see so many 700 to 1,200hp BBC's at work. And if you really wanted to, you could build a 650hp BBC for FAR less than an LS series engine. We are talking naturally aspirated at this point (and even supercharged)

We currently build a NASCAR Spec crate engine that is an LS2 (actually finished work on one today matter of fact) and I think it's an awesome motor. 630hp out of the box with every part bar-coded. But it's a $20,000+ motor....

Do a search on here under "nascar crate engine" and my thread with pix may pop up from 3 years ago....
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior222 View Post
    I thought all C3s needed a supercharger the size of a propane tank fed by throttle bodies the size of soup plates in an intake the size of a garbage can....
    You must be talking about a supercharger like this LOL

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/gian...er-108596.html

Here's a video:
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

Heh, or this...

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    BTW Yogurt: a big time muscle car collector was looking over my shoulder last week at work when I was viewing your thread and said you need to toss out those rear fiberglass springs. In typical fashion, those are making the azz end jacked up too high... they almost never settle to the proper ride height. Might be a reason then car is a bit scary to ride in if the rear is always fighting for traction.

But keep the 427

*EDIT* I wrote 3 degrees cam timing when I meant ignition. The block grows and the helix rides differently effecting *ignition* timing. I'm sure cam timing is effected, but probably so miniscule of an issue...
    Yeah, I'm staying with the big block it has for a while. Prob just do a couple small things like cam, intake, efi.

On the rear fiber springs, its not the spring that was the problem, its the short bolts that are on the ends of the spring.. That has already been rectified with slightly longer bolts. So now she sits level.

Hybrid booster

It's like saying the new hemi is far superior over the old 426. Even though it has more modern technology in it, it hasn't proven itself to be superior.

I see so many 700 to 1,200hp BBC's at work. And if you really wanted to, you could build a 650hp BBC for FAR less than an LS series engine. We are talking naturally aspirated at this point (and even supercharged)

We currently build a NASCAR Spec crate engine that is an LS2 (actually finished work on one today matter of fact) and I think it's an awesome motor. 630hp out of the box with every part bar-coded. But it's a $20,000+ motor....

Do a search on here under "nascar crate engine" and my thread with pix may pop up from 3 years ago....
    Yeah, not looking to spend 20K on a motor.... This is where I will be getting a motor from when I have the funds availible..........
    http://www.vortecproperformance.com/index.html

I've heard good reviews about his motors on the vette forums.

turbo addict

Just try not to mention it's for a 'vette or they might charge double

boostaholic

You need to look around a tad more. 900+ hp NAQ LSX's are prevalent(been around for years matter of fact). LSX454, 1500hp sound familiar? It's out there. (But so are BBCs too)

Not a bandwagon at all, just a great engine, one of the best domestic ever made.

I love my BBC too.

NASCAR spec; that's great. 630 hp, not so much.

MY point, there are ALOT of LSX haters out there; just making sure you weren't one of them.

NASCAR spec; that's great. 630 hp, not so much.
    Try having one of those 900hp LSXs go roundy round all season long w/out a rebuild and see how many laps it will take

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

boostaholic

I got the car, you supply the engine.

I got the car, you supply the engine.
    Plunk down a $10k deposit and we'll surely help you fill your fenderwells. 630+hp that'll last you eternity on the street or down the dragstrip

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

boostaholic

Whatever sweetheart, again, you supply the engine and I will supply the vehicle. Move on.

Whatever sweetheart

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Hybrid booster

I love it when you guys pillow talk about *filling fender wells*.

If my car wasn't a big block or if I lunch the motor, I would seriously consider an LS motor. Thats what I originally wanted but, I'm very glad I went bigblock. 600 hp? crap, I just want 500-550hp tops. Weekend cruiser is the main function of my car. 600+hp launches at the track with a fiberglass bodied car means lots of time at the bodyshop to fix all the stress cracks.......no thanks. (at least until I beef up the frame... )

Yeah, the IRS setup isn't ideal for hard launches anywho.... not really intended to be a drag car.

500-550hp is easy to get out of a BBC, so you should be fine as long as you have a decent set of factory heads to begin with.

I was talking with our resident head shop guy at work (long time BBC builder/racer and mostly.... head porter) and we were talking about the cost of making a 620-650hp BB Chevy and a BB Mopar. As for the Chevy.... and after a lot of thought, he said he could build/assemble one for the $2,500-3,000 range. Mind you, this means all shop labor is free, so tack on another $800-1,500 there, as well.

Over the 650hp mark is just begging for aftermarket heads vs. ported stockers.

You see... about 15 years ago, our shop built a very stout 440 for a co-worker (office guy) for his '68 Dart. Car was pretty stout and ran 6.5s in the 1/8th (mid 10s 1/4) It made 620hp on our dyno, and ran a set of 452 stock cast heads (highly reworked with OS valves) mechanical cam (.600-.650ish lift) with decent valvetrain parts, single plane, stock rods (yikes) and stock forged crank with the bottom end using ARP studs and of course, forged pistons. Pretty good results for mostly stock parts.... and of course, the same can be had with the BBC even on less cam/compression as the heads are (hate saying this) more superior in overall flow than the 440's are.

So... 550 streetable HP is not far fetched with the 427
    Last edited by Directconnection; 11-28-2010 at 11:56 PM.

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

I think bryan would have a hard time handling 350hp don't go tossing 500hp numbers into his head.

Any more of that and I will be scraping my buddy off I-65 with a putty knife.

Quote Originally Posted by j4278h View Post
    I think bryan would have a hard time handling 350hp don't go tossing 500hp numbers into his head.

Any more of that and I will be scraping my buddy off I-65 with a putty knife.
    I HATE Chevys.... but if that 427 isn't even making 350hp the way it sits, then something ain't right

Oh... I get it! You guys too used to throttle bodies and the such and not getting into the secondaries yet... hehehe. Don't laugh, 1st time I drove a 4bbl 455 Pontiac I didn't know about the secondaries and the added spring tension you need to overcome to open up all 4... doh! I was tooling around in 2bbl mode.

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

I HATE Chevys.... but if that 427 isn't even making 350hp the way it sits, then something ain't right

Oh... I get it! You guys too used to throttle bodies and the such and not getting into the secondaries yet... hehehe. Don't laugh, 1st time I drove a 4bbl 455 Pontiac I didn't know about the secondaries and the added spring tension you need to overcome to open up all 4... doh! I was tooling around in 2bbl mode.

well bryan is a "little" guy so I don't think he has enough aS$ to push the go pedal down far enough to open the secondaries.

boostaholic

Yeah, the IRS setup isn't ideal for hard launches anywho.... not really intended to be a drag car.

500-550hp is easy to get out of a BBC, so you should be fine as long as you have a decent set of factory heads to begin with.

I was talking with our resident head shop guy at work (long time BBC builder/racer and mostly.... head porter) and we were talking about the cost of making a 620-650hp BB Chevy and a BB Mopar. As for the Chevy.... and after a lot of thought, he said he could build/assemble one for the $2,500-3,000 range. Mind you, this means all shop labor is free, so tack on another $800-1,500 there, as well.

Over the 650hp mark is just begging for aftermarket heads vs. ported stockers.

You see... about 15 years ago, our shop built a very stout 440 for a co-worker (office guy) for his '68 Dart. Car was pretty stout and ran 6.5s in the 1/8th (mid 10s 1/4) It made 620hp on our dyno, and ran a set of 452 stock cast heads (highly reworked with OS valves) mechanical cam (.600-.650ish lift) with decent valvetrain parts, single plane, stock rods (yikes) and stock forged crank with the bottom end using ARP studs and of course, forged pistons. Pretty good results for mostly stock parts.... and of course, the same can be had with the BBC even on less cam/compression as the heads are (hate saying this) more superior in overall flow than the 440's are.

So... 550 streetable HP is not far fetched with the 427
    I totally agree. I have seen 450-500 REAL easy. I have a set of 049s just waiting to be worked over. 230 hp & 380 ftlbs stock. Headers on the 049 heads with my new Performer RPM intake and a nice carb, I should be see 350+.

With the cam, I can easily hit 400+. I want to hit 500 with stock short block, but I don't think I can or want to at this point. Maybe, but the heads may be the problem.

Been thinking a TT on top of all of these parts as well.

So as far as the topic goes, you have a nice platform and should be able to get some nice power regardless.

GM makes a nice cam for the 454s in their crate motor. You should check it out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123