Thread: 91 Maserati TC turbo (I think ) help needed

Mitsu booster

91 Maserati TC turbo (I think ) help needed

Turbo problem...

To begin with the car (1991 chrysler maserati 3.0 ltr) has been sitting for 2 years outside on pavement in SE florida. [ran fine when parked] Since then, new batter, alternator cap, wires, plugs, oil change air filter. Old fuel run out and new gas w/ heet fuel treatment added. No fuel filter, fuel pump, no messing with the catalytic converter. No pressure test of the fuel pressure.

Car starts right up and idles fine, will rev up to 6000 rpm smoothly but if at any point the gas pedal is pressed hard the car stutters badly and instantly looses all power.

With the key off-key on-key off- key on engine diagnosis...the fault code reads 12. 25. 41. 55. with fault code 25 indicating - [ AIS fault (automatic idle speed) - motor driver circuit shorted or target idle not reached, vacuum leak found] -- fault code 41 indicates - [Alternator field control circuit open or shorted]

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to turn this car into an in town daily driver for my 20 year old.

turbo addict

Re: 91 Maserati TC turbo (I think ) help needed

Welcome to the forum! I have owned a couple TC's. Both 16V Turbos. The turbo TC was only offered in 89 & 90. They came in two varieties in 1989, a 8v SOHC 4 cylinder, and a 16V DOHC 4 cylinder. The 8V SOHC was only available with the automatic, while the DOHC 16V motor was only manual transmission. They dropped the SOHC/auto TC after 1989. They then went to the 3.0/auto 6 cylinder model for 1990 and 1991. They did make exactly one 91 16V TC but that was for a exc. with Chrysler.

So you are stating that you have a 3.0 V6 motor. That would mean you definitely do not have a turbocharger on your car. This motor is made by Mitsubishi. It was very common engine on many FWD Chrysler vehicles from 1987 on.

I would suggest that you bring the car to someone that can put a Chrysler DRB II scan tool (or aftermarket equivalent) to better evaluate the vehicle. Most good repair centers should have a scanner that will connect to your vehicle. Problem could be one of many things. We would need much more info.
    Good luck with the repair.
    Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 11-22-2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: made things a bit clearer for OP