Thread: No Oil Pressure

No Oil Pressure

I can't get oil pressure. Bought a rebuild block that had been running previously a few years back. Started the car and ran it for about 20 seconds. Engine sounds quiet no weird sounds no noisy lifters but the check oil pressure light is on and the gauge shows 0. Took the oil filter out and it's full of oil. By the way I had put in a new oil filter before the engine went into the car. Pored some oil in the drain hole under the threads for the oil filter. Replased the oil pressure switch which was wet with oil by the way. Started it again for about 30 seconds. Car sounds good no weird knocking sounds or lifters ticking but still no oil pressure.

Please help I don't want to keep staring it because I'm afraid I will kill the bearings. Could it be an air bubble in the pump?

What to do next.

Hybrid booster

Re: No Oil Pressure

if you have oil in the filter, and didn't prime the filter...you have oil pressure. I'd say go buy yourself a new oil pressure gauge and enjoy your car!

Yes I didn't prime the filter. It was put on dry but when I removed it to ckeck it was full of oil. So was the tube where the oil pressure switch goes. I'm getting the feeling it's actually a fault gauge and not the pump. I will try a mechanical gauge and will give an update.

turbo addict

If it really sounds weird you are definately not going to want to call it a day. I would get a new pick up and a gauge.

It would take pulling the timing belt but you could spin the intermediate shaft with a drill, you should be able to feel resistance if it's pumping. A mechanical gauge may be an easier first step.

I figured it out. I had reversed the wires on the oil pressure sending unit. Switched the wires and problem went away.

Thanks everyone for the replies!