Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 LastLast

Thread: Intro and Update: Slugmobile and Mean Mini! (long read, but worth it)

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: Intro and Update: Slugmobile and Mean Mini! (long read, but worth it)

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Those marks on the pinion are normal.
    Thanks! I was wondering that, and couldn't remember if someone else asked that "recently"...

Quote Originally Posted by iangoround View Post
    Yikes. I would be beyond frustrated with this project.
    The thought of having to put the trans back in is really frustrating me!
    I'm going to need some help with it.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

What kind of help Wayne. My issue was supporting the engine sooo, I bought an 8' piece of 2 1/2" square "U" shaped steel rod that has 1/2" holes every 2" and a 2' Long piece of threaded 7/16" rod and made a bridge to support the engines in all my side winders when I had to pull the transmissions. A few nuts, bolts and washers a 1"X4" piece of 18 gage with a 1/2" hole close to each end and a 90* bend in the middle for bolting to the block and running the threaded rod up thru' the right hole in the bridge. Measure from the dip where the fenders where the fenders brake over and mate to the inners before you cut for the bridge. Cut the cut off piece remaining in half and bolt those two pieces to each end of the bridge and walla, You have an engine support for cheap. I had two of 'um. One for my old Dinesty and another for my J+L bodys. Left 'um both up north with a Proving Grounds retiree friend when we moved to Wilmington but they both worked great. Floor jack for the trans and you're good to go, Jer

Good ideas Jer!
    The engine is supported pretty well since i have poly mounts. I never removed the front mount.
    But in the past I have used a 2x4 across the inner fender lip with a heavy duty ratchet strap.

I think I'm going to need a flatter jack. Might borrow my buddy's motorcycle jack instead of this trans jack i bought. The shape and off centered weighting of the trans just doesn't work well with it. Maybe i could rig it better, but i think i'm going to need to jack the car up alot higher to get it back in.

I think we need a new trans casting made with a lifting eye properly positioned at a neutral balance point!
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

i always use a cherry picker. support the engine via whatever means possible and then use a cherry picker and a piece of seatbelt or whatnot to hoist the trans in place. if you were closer id already have the cherry picker dropped off at your house. then again, id be over with at least one child for help (or at least to relieve my wife lol.... in other words id bring the oldest lol) for the whole project.....

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    i always use a cherry picker. support the engine via whatever means possible and then use a cherry picker and a piece of seatbelt or whatnot to hoist the trans in place. if you were closer id already have the cherry picker dropped off at your house. then again, id be over with at least one child for help (or at least to relieve my wife lol.... in other words id bring the oldest lol) for the whole project.....

Brian
    I'll bring the beers. We'll get that puppy in there in 30 minutes. It's not like ya gotta fight with the input shaft or anything.

Brian
    Yes, a cherry picker would probably be easier.... if I hadn't have started the project where i had..

See what i mean:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1525561945855.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	62513

I'll bring the beers. We'll get that puppy in there in 30 minutes. It's not like ya gotta fight with the input shaft or anything.
    Honestly, that is the biggest part i need extra hands for. Just to get the trans up and mated to the block. I can do the rest easy enough.
    I usually have trouble getting help here from one friend because he is basically a single dad.

I do need another floor jack, my older steel one has lost all its fluid, so instead of fixing i might just get another aluminum one. That 3T steel one is heavy to lug around.

Here's another shot of today's work area:

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1525562297254.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	62514

Got the ring gear off with my air impact.
    And since everyone wants to know how you break an axle and can't remove the outside part... i think i solved the mystery.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1525562509594.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	62515

You break it so it twists and cracks at an angle.
    Will be interesting to see what the actual break looks like. Of course, I've pounded it around a bit from the other side.
    Wayne H.

for real lol. i had a buddy curl with both arms a a413 in place with a rope once while i threaded in the bolts lol. granted he is a bit of a freak but he got it up there lol.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

for real lol. i had a buddy curl with both arms a a413 in place with a rope once while i threaded in the bolts lol. granted he is a bit of a freak but he got it up there lol.

Brian
    I also meant to say, I would buy the beers for anyone helping!

While I've never been a freak, when I was in better shape I would rest a 5spd on my chest and press it into position. But, I guess we've all done that. However, the big fat A413 with a full converter and a Peloquin is a much different story!
    I'm going to weigh that Peloquin, 'cause it is one heavy chunk of metal!

Oh, and what's your buddy up to these days???
    Wayne H.

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    I also meant to say, I would buy the beers for anyone helping!
    again, if i wasnt 10hrs away, id be there.

While I've never been a freak, when I was in better shape I would rest a 5spd on my chest and press it into position. But, I guess we've all done that
    i usually used a jack and a board or my buddy scotty and a rope or my cherry picker lol.

i have been known to walk through the junkyard with a 523 per arm by the clutch lever lol. i could do it now but there is no chance of bending at all when i had to stop. id just drop them hehe. back then id risk my back and set them down gently. occasionally hurting myself lol.

Oh, and what's your buddy up to these days???
    juggling shift work like you and 2 kids lol. i have him on the schedule in august for some concrete demo running a jackhammer at my house cause he has time off then lol.

if i were you, id go to harbor freight and get a cherry picker and a load leveler.... or at least a chunk of seatbelt lol.

Brian

boostaholic

Step 1. Build a sweet home gym
    Step 2. Make sweet gains
    Step 3. Use sweet gains to bench press transmission in to place
    Step 4. Racecar

Hybrid booster

Depending when you're ready Wayne, I might be able to come down and help you. let me know what weekend would work best. What's the closest airport if I don't drive(about 12hrs)?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by turboshelbys View Post
    Depending when you're ready Wayne, I might be able to come down and help you. let me know what weekend would work best. What's the closest airport if I don't drive(about 12hrs)?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    The closest is RDU (Raleigh/Durham International ). I can make it there in about 35mins with light traffic.
    That would be cool Stefan. But I know its not ideal thing to ask. Of course you can stay here, if it worked out. I'l let you know!

I packaged up the diff to go back to Peloquins, and the torque converter to go back to PTC.
    I still haven't heard back from John Donato on the pricing of the billet input shafts. I'm confident it will work out, but i would feel better abouy modifying the torque converter if the billet input shafts were in the process of being built, not just where we are right now.

Turnaround on the converter was supposed to be 2-3 weeks.
    Turnaround on the Peloquin diff reconditioning, should be way less than that.
    I have no clue what the build time for the billet input shafts is supposed to be. But after I receive mine, then i need to ride to PA and pick up a spare trans, and have this one swapped and put back together.

Add all that up, and I'll be wrenching just before SDAC, or possibly during SDAC. We'll see how it all shapes up.

I could save some time by not changing my converter, and not installing the billet input right now.
    But, I would still need to ride to PA to get the new trans, and drop this partially disassembled one off.

If I chose that, I could be ready much sooner.
    Wayne H.

So, if anyone wanted to know how you ruin a Peloquin LSD, I found out.
    You break an axle off inside it that cannot be removed...
    12 Ton press still couldn't even budge the piece!

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1525906351093.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	62546

Gary Peloquin said he could recondition, but it would take replacing the cover (the ring gear side with the broken piece inside) and a bunch of work to clean up the planetaries and insides because of the number of bits floating around inside.

In other news, I think we have a path forward to potentially make SDAC28, (but making SDAC is still not definite).
    We will put things back together with a new rebuilt A413, and retain the stock input shaft. So that also means no changes to the existing PTC converter.
    Hopefully it can get back together in time to get some testing before SDAC.
    Wayne H.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Nuts! Glad I didn't encourage you to just keep Banging on it!!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

In other news, I think we have a path forward to potentially make SDAC28, (but making SDAC is still not definite).
    We will put things back together with a new rebuilt A413, and retain the stock input shaft. So that also means no changes to the existing PTC converter.
    Hopefully it can get back together in time to get some testing before SDAC.
    counting on you being there :-) ....................
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Nuts! Glad I didn't encourage you to just keep Banging on it!!
    I know! I knew it wasn't moving. And I wasn't joking when I said I was hitting it good!

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    counting on you being there :-) ....................
    I'm going to do everything I can. But it might be hard to get some help with everyone tidying up stuff just before SDAC. Stefan generously offered to help. We'll see if it will work out. I sure hope so!
    Wayne H.

turbo addict

I can't help but think you have some impressive art for the mantle over the fireplace now ..

seriously..

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    I can't help but think you have some impressive art for the mantle over the fireplace now ..

seriously..
    Janet doesn't like my new parts in the spare bedroom we are using for storage. You really think she'll let me keep broken parts on the mantle?
    Yeah, right! Right next to the wedding photos! Lol.
    I keep my broken parts out in the garage. I think I'm going to need a bigger box though...
    Wayne H.

turbo addict

Looks like it started to strip the splines out in the case as well, so basically it twisted together.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

With some heat, I would think it would press out with no problem.