Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro and Update: Slugmobile and Mean Mini! (long read, but worth it)

turbo addict

Re: Intro and Update: Slugmobile and Mean Mini! (long read, but worth it)

You might want to get a hold of Pat Culkin. He might be able to give you a bit more insight on this. I'm *pretty* sure that the Ed Peters tapes refer to doing this to either pump, but I haven't watched them in years and mine are in storage, plus...same issue...no VCR! LOL

A lot of guys are using electric water pumps, which are more or less constant rpm pumps, so I really don't think this is that huge of a deal, but I could be proven wrong. I hope not! I planned on doing it too, until I can set-up an electric water pump myself.

turbo addict

yea not sure what pump Ed was referring to when doing it. I think you'll be fine. For all I know Ed was referring to the CB pumps since they've been said to cavitate anyway. I didn't know they were shaped that much different.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Nice work, you've been hustling,

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Ugh.. That doesn't inspire confidence!
    So nobody does this to the common block pumps??
    Its on the Dodge garage if memory serves, if not, let us know how it goes,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I've never heard anyone distinguish between pumps when talking about taking off the fins.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    Nice work, you've been hustling,

Its on the Dodge garage if memory serves, if not, let us know how it goes,
    I had checked the other day, but couldn't find any reference.
    I could try emailing Gary, or Pat as someone else mentioned.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Well here is what I spent the better part of today doing...

Start:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366087911599.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	44746

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366087965587.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	44747

So I did a few things like..
    Installed new heater valve, swapped parts over to the new transmission, replaced motor and transmission mounts, installed the new transmission, installed the new axles, and put the front knuckles back on the ball joints. Moved the old engine and transmission out of the way, and cleaned up oil on the floor of the shop.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366088026869.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	44748

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366088056534.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	44749

I still need to swap tranny pans so I can have the one below with the drain plug.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366088101100.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	44750
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

I found this but I know there is more-

Quote Originally Posted by TheDodgeGarage.com
    Alexander Melnikov quoted Vic in Phoenix: I have no tech data concerning this part (i.e. how it goes in or
    what the benefits if any are) Gary's note: they are talking about coolant redirector which goes between the waterpump housing and the block on a Turbo III engine.

If the part in question is the T-III component, it helps redirect the coolant across the front of the block. The T-III coolant exits on the driver's side, of the head. The "path of least resistance" (coolant in the block) would be to enter the block, go to the rear of #1, turn right, travel across the back of cylinders 2, 3, and 4, and exit out the thermostat housing. This produced "coolant stagnation" and hot spots at the front of the block. The direction plate is split in the middle by a plate, with a flared tip on the back edge. This flared tip would influence coolant to make a sharp right turn, upon entry to the block. The simple part was just enough to eliminate nearly all of the stagnation and restore adequate/proper coolant flow.

Concerns: Placing this component on a 8-valve engine can cause too much of the coolant flow towards the front of the block.

With the 8-valve head, the "water-box" is in the front of the head. The normal coolant path (in the block) would be to enter the block, go to the rear of #1, turn right, travel across the back of cylinders 2, 3, and 4, turn right (towards the front of the engine), come back across the front of 4 and 3, and exit. Obviously, the coolant is being transferred into the head, throughout it's path; But a large percentage of coolant will be taking the stated routes. Too much coolant may desire to make the sharp turn and exit the block, from the front. This can generate the same T-III issue, but at the rear of the block.

If the part is desired: If this part is desired on an 8-valve application, then the flair/baffle size could be reduced. A rough estimation may be to reduce the flair/baffle to approx. 10-20% of it's total size.

Please remember to shim the bottom water pump mounting location the same thickness of the "re-director"/coolant baffle. Using this part/these mod's, on an 8-valve head, are at your own risk.
    Benefits... unknown.

WATER PUMP: Why was the water pump rotation reversed?? A couple of reasons...

The single most important one is that it allowed for a larger impeller to be used. This raises the water pump efficiency at lower engine speeds. Water pumps are primarily designed for peak efficiency at low speeds, to generate enough/greater flow for engine cooling. The downside of this is that a larger impeller will cavitate earlier, at higher speeds. In some previous posts I have mentioned going to the older style pump, for this reason. This can really be found useful in DOHC/Lotus applications. The fan may cycle more at low speed BUT a gain in engine cooling, at high RPM, can be achieved. Owners of later model vehicles may notice that 3rd or 4th gear operation, on the highway, may yield a much higher engine temp. This is regardless of cool ambient temperatures. Utilizing the older style pump will basically achieve what an under drive pulley kit does.

Previous post on water pumps-

If you are willing:
    Going to the old L-body water pump will help. The impeller disk is smaller in diameter,thus lowering tip speed. This will reduce the risk of cavitation at high RPM, without going to an under-drive system. This will help most applications, including DOHC engines. Although, the DOHC requires additional mod's.

NOTE: Mod's will/may include: Welding on an additional nipple, for heater hose connection. Fabricating an alternator bracket. All depends on the application.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

I believe I have noticed that running hot condition when at higher engine speeds on the highway. Both Slug snd Mini would do that.
    I wonder if it wouldn't be better to resize the impellar.

I dont really want to be a guinea pig..
    Wayne H.

I believe I have noticed that running hot condition when at higher engine speeds on the highway. Both Slug snd Mini would do that.

Wish I had that problem, my van runs too cold,

turbo addict

Probably running hot because the CB pump is the one that cavitates at freeway speeds. By shaving 3 fins off it shouldn't cavitate as much.

Run it, you'll be fine. It's not that hard to change the water pump if you don't think it's working. In the Spirit of Gus, try something!!

turbo addict

I'd have to take a look at it, but I wonder if changing the tip angle would help with the cavitation. Let's face it, the impeller on these pumps isn't exactly *high tech* by pumping standards.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    water pump if you don't think it's working. In the Spirit of Gus, try something!!
    Exactly,

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    Exactly,
    I'm for trying it, otherwise I wouldn't have cut the blades off that brand NEW Mopar water pump!
    Actually I have a backup plan that Chris reminded me of. Since I have the underdrive pulley, if this doesn't work satisfactorily, I could simply change pulleys rather than take all that crap off again to change out the water pump.
    So I'll see what happens. Also another thought I had was since I plan on reinstalling a/c, when the clutch cycles it does bump the rpm, so that could be some assistance with the cooling flow and my underdrive idle charging issues.
    Wayne H.

(
    Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    In the Spirit of Gus, try something!!
    Hey!
    I think I'm blazing the trail with Simon & Shayne's log header... or are there others out there???
    Can't wait to see how Slug likes the change.

And in other news...
    Slug got her first vacuuming and bath of the new year! Her roof is really getting awful with the clearcoat. I need to have my buddy spot shoot some paint. The roof and trunk will need it.

And Mini didn't get much attention today, other than cleaning up the Ed Peters high flow fuel rail and swapping out the +20%s for some +40%s that were donated by Seth Prentiss.
    I waited around most of the day for my rockauto order, and when it finally came in at like 1630, it was the wrong damn starter. I ordered a new nippondenso style and they sent a bosche style. Called them and they are going to try to check the others as this part number was what I ordered but the picture showed the nippondenso. I may have to go with a reman if they can't get me what I ordered.
    Wayne H.

Hybrid booster

you'd be the first recipient who i consider to be a suitable recipient, theoretically a jerk in indiana is, was, or will be running one as well. hope to get some good feedback from your experience.

Well, thanks.
    Hey! Should I use that in my sig?
    "First person to use Shayne's header that is not a sh!tbag! "
    Wayne H.

Hybrid booster

i like it! but to clarify the situation will be worked out via the real father. just sayin. keep us posted as to your impressions of the header.

Oh yes, I've been subscribed intently to that thread! I'm glad to see it being worked out.

I may have my exhaust worked up this week, if that happens I'll be ready for the road! If all goes smooth I may even do that Friday before work! Then I can get some driving impressions.
    Wayne H.

Slugmobile:

As far as the major work is concerned, I dub Slug construction complete.
    I need to look at mounting the wideband. And im sure there are
    other things. I just need to go thru and check other list.
    Wayne H.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Very cool. I can't wait to hear reports of it out on the road.