Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142 LastLast

Thread: Intro and Update: Slugmobile and Mean Mini! (long read, but worth it)

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: Intro and Update: Slugmobile and Mean Mini! (long read, but worth it)

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Wishing you and the van the best!
    Thanks Chris! Hoping for a good season, once I can start it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Sorry to hear about the misfortune Wayne, but really glad it wasn't near as bad as it could have been!
    Thanks Rob. As I've told the story after the fact, I realized very early that it feels weird to actually complain about it when I could have very easily been NOT HERE any longer TO complain about it!
    I thank my wife for her prayers for a safe trip when we left, and while we were away! But the real thanks goes to God for keeping us safe!

Quick anecdote for anyone else religious...
    Before we left my wife Janet was worried and we were all packed up and even out of the driveway when she ran out of the house with some Holy Water from church. She said I couldn't leave until she sprinkled some on the van to protect us on our trip. I was actually getting a bit upset with her, because I had just cleaned and waxed the van and she was sprinkling it all over. So I actually stopped her.
    Maybe if I had not have done that the ambulance would have missed us entirely?!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

Never underestimate the power of God!!!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

AGREED!!

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

now that you got all that bad luck out of the way. you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by turboshelbys View Post
    Never underestimate the power of God!!!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
    Absolutely!
    Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    AGREED!!

Thanks
    Randy
    👍
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiorob View Post
    now that you got all that bad luck out of the way. you should be fine.
    I sure hope so!
    I really want to be better at tuning. I hope I can have it much better this year.

And today I picked up a van I found for parts.
    The repaint on it is horrible. You've heard of a 10 footer, well this is about a 60 footer.
    But it should be usable for what I need.

Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Absolutely!👍I sure hope so!
    I really want to be better at tuning. I hope I can have it much better this year.

And today I picked up a van I found for parts.
    The repaint on it is horrible. You've heard of a 10 footer, well this is about a 60 footer.
    But it should be usable for what I need.

\\

what bits you robbing off of that van?

can i buy the rest when you are done? lol

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    \\

what bits you robbing off of that van?

can i buy the rest when you are done? lol

Brian
    We can talk!

Wayne H.

Getting excited now! Dragweek is fast approaching, just over 30 days to go. And with my work schedule, that means only a handful of days to get anything done on my list. But hopefully I can make good progress if the weather cools dow, (and doesn't rain on my days off!).

Brian has really put in some late nights trying to get everything completed and he was able to start her on Saturday! He even got a bit of a road test in!
    He sent me this, so I shared it to my channel.
    https://youtu.be/BhqSASzJgbc

So, if all goes well this week, I should be picking her up!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Glad to see that you'll be able to make it Wayne.

Watching some of your videos, I have a couple of questions for you. Did the fully instrumented gauge cluster come in the higher trim minivans, or did it come in all of the auto vans? I only have a speedometer and volt gauge in mine. Everything else is an idiot light.

Also, I needed a new rad, and bought one off of Rockauto.com. Do the stock rads cool worth a darn? This thing is pretty thin and they aren't super wide either. I noticed that you have a thicker piece, which I assume was made by Slowe?

Best of luck during Drag Week.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Glad to see that you'll be able to make it Wayne.

Watching some of your videos, I have a couple of questions for you. Did the fully instrumented gauge cluster come in the higher trim minivans, or did it come in all of the auto vans? I only have a speedometer and volt gauge in mine. Everything else is an idiot light.

Also, I needed a new rad, and bought one off of Rockauto.com. Do the stock rads cool worth a darn? This thing is pretty thin and they aren't super wide either. I noticed that you have a thicker piece, which I assume was made by Slowe?

Best of luck during Drag Week.
    Brian, I know you don't FB, but maybe you can view this:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/6119...2446790255748/

I asked about those gauge clusters. I guess even with the optional turbo, you could still get the basic cluster.
    The turbo sport option I guess had the deluxe or sport gauge cluster with 125mph speedo and actual gauges.

I have actually tried a couple radiators. I did have the factory 2 row copper core originally, but it needed replacement. I found a 1" tube, 1 row aluminum one Spectra Premium or similar. It has been ok with normal use, but seemed like I could use more at nearly 400hp. The stock replacement can be helped by using a better cooling fan. I have been using a bigger fan for several years. I can get you the model number if you like.

The one you can almost see in the pics is a customized 3 row aluminum radiator designed for a 66 Mustang. Brian modified it to use the factory lower pin mounts, trimmed down the top tank (I think he actually remade the top tank entirely), and resized the inlet and outlets to accept the factory hoses. I don't know what the final tally is on just that, but the part itself was reasonable on both Amazon, and ebay. It did require some clearancing of the radiator support, because of my existing intercooler piping. You might get away with less changes.
    Here is the one I bought:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F232863227477

In my opinion for you I would recommend considering the later cross-flow radiator and an aftermarket parallel flow condenser (the condenser would be considerably thinner than the factory one). This would greatly increase cooling capacity, and you could use a factory style aftermarket replacement.

I will however be able to give more feedback on this after my 450 mile drive home later this week!

Last edited by wheming; 08-05-2019 at 02:42 AM.
    Wayne H.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

[QUOTE=
    I asked about those gauge clusters. I guess even with the optional turbo, you could still get the basic cluster.
    The turbo sport option I guess had the deluxe or sport gauge cluster with 125mph speedo and actual gauges.
    [/QUOTE]

Wayne, in digging through my collection of archane Mopar stuff, I found the complete cluster, unfortunately less wires and plugs from a 1989 GC I scrapped for the engine a number of years ago. It is the full gauge set with the 125 mph speedometer. Only problem, you will need to use your tachometer board as this one was a 3.0L V6. I have zero use for it, but will have to dig up all the screws and reassemble it. If you want it, you can have it.

Quote Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
    Wayne, in digging through my collection of archane Mopar stuff, I found the complete cluster, unfortunately less wires and plugs from a 1989 GC I scrapped for the engine a number of years ago. It is the full gauge set with the 125 mph speedometer. Only problem, you will need to use your tachometer board as this one was a 3.0L V6. I have zero use for it, but will have to dig up all the screws and reassemble it. If you want it, you can have it.
    Thanks!
    I really need a tach board or whole cluster for Slug. But having spare parts are good.
    I wonder what components on the tach board are different between v6 and 4cyl...

Last edited by wheming; 08-06-2019 at 07:00 AM.
    Wayne H.

The tach. board may be the same for any analog cluster, specific examples would be any vehicle built as both a 4 cyl and 6 cyl version, like G or J bodies, possibly A and P bodies also. It is a small board that plugs on the edge of the hard circuit board on the back of the cluster.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Brian, I know you don't FB, but maybe you can view this:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/6119...2446790255748/

I have actually tried a couple radiators. I did have the factory 2 row copper core originally, but it needed replacement. I found a 1" tube, 1 row aluminum one Spectra Premium or similar. It has been ok with normal use, but seemed like I could use more at nearly 400hp. The stock replacement can be helped by using a better cooling fan. I have been using a bigger fan for several years. I can get you the model number if you like.

The one you can almost see in the pics is a customized 3 row aluminum radiator designed for a 66 Mustang. Brian modified it to use the factory lower pin mounts, trimmed down the top tank (I think he actually remade the top tank entirely), and resized the inlet and outlets to accept the factory hoses. I don't know what the final tally is on just that, but the part itself was reasonable on both Amazon, and ebay. It did require some clearancing of the radiator support, because of my existing intercooler piping. You might get away with less changes.
    Here is the one I bought:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F232863227477

In my opinion for you I would recommend considering the later cross-flow radiator and an aftermarket parallel flow condenser (the condenser would be considerably thinner than the factory one). This would greatly increase cooling capacity, and you could use a factory style aftermarket replacement.

I will however be able to give more feedback on this after my 450 mile drive home later this week!

Thanks for that info Wayne. It's interesting to me that my van came with only AC, cruise, and the turbo for options (if the AC and cruise weren't standard) from what I can tell. The stereo doesn't even have a seek button on it. I'll see how this rad does and go from there. I'll certainly be looking for a good cluster in the JY.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Thanks for that info Wayne. It's interesting to me that my van came with only AC, cruise, and the turbo for options (if the AC and cruise weren't standard) from what I can tell. The stereo doesn't even have a seek button on it. I'll see how this rad does and go from there. I'll certainly be looking for a good cluster in the JY.
    There are definitely some weird build orders out there!
    I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with yours. And you are welcome. I'm happy to help.

Wayne H.

Wayne, the tach boards for both the 1989 mini W/tachometer and the 1989 J analog cluster are the same PN, I will get pictures of both later for you. Apparently there is either an adjustment (I seem to recall a potentiometer on the board) or possibly a jumper. Board, Tachometer circuit is PN 4051 977 for both J and S clusters.

I will see if I can find where I put the small parts and reassemble the mini one.

Wayne, the tach boards for both the 1989 mini W/tachometer and the 1989 J analog cluster are the same PN, I will get pictures of both later for you. Apparently there is either an adjustment (I seem to recall a potentiometer on the board) or possibly a jumper. Board, Tachometer circuit is PN 4051 977 for both J and S clusters.

I will see if I can find where I put the small parts and reassemble the mini one.
    Cool thanks Bill!
    This is the best picture I have, I need to remove the cluster again and I could get more.

Wayne H.

Wayne, here are the closeups of the boards and a couple of the cluster. I do not know what covered the lights on the left end, looks like there was a mask there.

In sequence 1898 J tachometer module ------- 1989 S fuel gauge damper module ------------ 1989 S tachometer module ------------ 1989 S full instrument cluster (missing mask)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1989 J tach module 1.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	331.2 KB 
ID:	64251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1989 J tach module 2.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	356.9 KB 
ID:	64252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1989 S Fuel gauge damper module 1.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	371.5 KB 
ID:	64253   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1989 S Fuel gauge damper module 2.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	385.6 KB 
ID:	64254   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1989 S tach module 1.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	329.2 KB 
ID:	64255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1989 S tach module 2.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	359.4 KB 
ID:	64256  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1989 S full cluster 1.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	348.7 KB 
ID:	64257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1989 S full cluster 2.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	355.0 KB 
ID:	64258  

Wayne, here are the closeups of the boards and a couple of the cluster. I do not know what covered the lights on the left end, looks like there was a mask there.

In sequence 1898 J tachometer module ------- 1989 S fuel gauge damper module ------------ 1989 S tachometer module ------------ 1989 S full instrument cluster (missing mask)
    Well, it's worth a try even though my tach board looks different.
    I'll messenger you my address for shipping quote.

Thank you.
    Wayne

Wayne H.

Biggest issue might be the wiring harness. I suspect the vans all had the wiring in the main dash harness for either cluster, but the short harness from the rectangular plugs in the bottom of the "pod" for the cluster might be package specific. I know this one had two round 11 pin plugs and a smaller almost L shaped one on the right side warning lights (this includes the low fuel one).