Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro and Update: Slugmobile and Mean Mini! (long read, but worth it)

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: Intro and Update: Slugmobile and Mean Mini! (long read, but worth it)

The newer pump assembly would probably work. The big plastic can acts as the baffle. The return line keeps the plastic can full of fuel even if the 'outside' fuel level is much lower. There are actually two pump strainers involved, the one you can see on the outside is not actually the pump inlet per se. You can mod an earlier style pump into one. I took apart a '94 model assembly and used a 'turbo' pump i got off rockauto for $8 to fix a 3.8 van a few months back.

I think the tanks are the same other than the fuel sender being built into the pump assembly instead of a whole separate unit like the first gen vans. However i dont see why you couldnt leave your fuel sender in place and just ignore the one on the newer pump assembly.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Some/many/all modules ?? have a venturi just like a jet pump.

I'm not sure if the 1994 style does or not but a 1997 I worked on does.

Very ingenious device, just like the jet pump that's used to supply water pressure in homes and cottages.

Thanks
    Randy

From Racetronix:

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...A-007A&eq=&Tp=

The 1997-2003 W-body cars have a pump that is inside a plastic fill-bucket.

The fill-bucket is equipped with two inlets on the bottom. The equalization check valve is used to fill the bucket when the level of fuel in the tank is greater than in the bucket. The equalization check valve does not allow fuel to exit the bucket.

The venturi system's inlet is a combination check valve and powered suction system. The factory pump supplies pressurized fuel via a small tube which feeds a calibrated jet inside the venturi system.

This jet of fuel shoots across the base of the check valve inlet thereby creating a suction effect which draws more fuel from the bottom of the tank through the filter sock. This venturi system keeps the bucket full all the time even when the fuel tank is almost empty.

A full bucket keeps the pump immersed in fuel regardless of the tank level so that when the tank is low on gas and you are doing some hard cornering or acceleration the pump does not run dry and start aerating (air bubbles) the fuel.

This happens as the fuel sloshes from side to side in the tank leaving the center low on fuel. This can cause detonation and possible engine damage. The 1997-2003 W-Body cars with plastic tanks have no baffling in them so the bucket is very important. The bucket also allows the car to operate with lower fuel levels in the tank due to its scavenging effect. The fill-bucket improves Engine crank-to-run time as the priming time is reduced under most conditions. The return line feeds the pressure regulator on the fuel module which diverts fuel back into the bucket so that the unused fuel also helps keep it full at all times. Keeping the pump constantly immersed in gas within the bucket can extend the pump's life by not allowing it to be exposed to open air. Open air within the tank contains moisture and in time will cause the pump to rust / seize up especially if left to sit for long periods of time without the tank topped-up (i.e. winter storage).

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Something like that sounds like the simplest option, however figuring out which module to use and the adapting my existing walbro 255 to it will be the challenge.
    It needs some way to keep the pump suction happy snd submerged. I don't think i have a preference other than maybe cost and downtime.
    And unfortunately it looks like you can't get a module without getting a pump.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    Some/many/all modules ?? have a venturi just like a jet pump.

I'm not sure if the 1994 style does or not but a 1997 I worked on does.

Very ingenious device, just like the jet pump that's used to supply water pressure in homes and cottages.

Thanks
    Randy

From Racetronix:

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...A-007A&eq=&Tp=

The 1997-2003 W-body cars have a pump that is inside a plastic fill-bucket.
    This is what the complete assembly looks like for the application you listed (2003 Pontiac Grand Prix)
    http://www.carparts.com/details/Pont...EPB314505.html

I don't know if i can adapt that. Need tofind some better pictures.
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

Something like that sounds like the simplest option, however figuring out which module to use and the adapting my existing walbro 255 to it will be the challenge.
    I did not have too much trouble adapting an earlier style pump into the ~1994 pump module when i was fixing that 3.8L van. I think the fact that that pump assembly will drop into an earlier tank makes it by far your simplest option.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I did not have too much trouble adapting an earlier style pump into the ~1994 pump module when i was fixing that 3.8L van. I think the fact that that pump assembly will drop into an earlier tank makes it by far your simplest option.
    I was looking around a bit last night and found some replacement pump modules fairly cheap. Its too bad i have to buy the whole thing to get what i need, but i did find some in yhe $40-65 range. I may still swap out the tank with a baffled one since i'll have to drop it anyway. I do not want to have to revisit a solution on this.

I need to be concentrating on finding some new rancho 9000 shocks for the rear, and removing my struts so i can cut off a coil to see if that lowers the front to a sweet spot.
    Wayne H.

Sorry Wayne, I didn't mean to use the G.P, pump, it was just a link explaining how the genius "jet pump" works.

As Vigo suggested the 1994 Caravan pump fits the older Caravan tank.

The "jet pump" literally vacuums fuel, its the little device inside the module, along with the fuel pump.

Lots of modern vehicles use them.

Thanks
    Randy

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    I was looking around a bit last night and found some replacement pump modules fairly cheap. Its too bad i have to buy the whole thing to get what i need, but i did find some in yhe $40-65 range. I may still swap out the tank with a baffled one since i'll have to drop it anyway. I do not want to have to revisit a solution on this.

I need to be concentrating on finding some new rancho 9000 shocks for the rear, and removing my struts so i can cut off a coil to see if that lowers the front to a sweet spot.
    I would suggest p body struts...

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    Sorry Wayne, I didn't mean to use the G.P, pump, it was just a link explaining how the genius "jet pump" works.

As Vigo suggested the 1994 Caravan pump fits the older Caravan tank.

The "jet pump" literally vacuums fuel, its the little device inside the module, along with the fuel pump.

Lots of modern vehicles use them.

Thanks
    Randy
    Thanks Randy. I'll have to order one so i can look at it. The pictures don't really show much.

So i should mount my walbro inside the 94 plastic can, then attach it all to my existing tank mount (with the 3 fuel line stubs) so i can keep my existing pump wire connection?
    Or do you use the whole 94 module except for swapping out the walbro and redo the vehicle wiring connector for the pump?
    Wayne H.

Quote Originally Posted by MILKCARTON View Post
    I would suggest p body struts...
    I'm afraid that will make me lower than i want. And, i have the minivan konis currently.
    Wayne H.

So i just came in from poking around with the rear suspension.
    One of my rancho 9000 shocks had lost the poly bushing in the lower shock eye. Took off that side to get the number and measurements. Checked out and the motion felt funny too, so since they are old might better change them out. Of course they no longer make, and the new series 9000XL are like $110/ea!
    Had to call tech support to find the closest match for the discontinued RS9155, and they said RS999335 is the closest match.
    I removed the helper spring on the one side i was working to see if it would lower any. - Don't really see a difference. I thought i might cut out one of the helper coils so when reinstalled it would be trying to pull the leaf up a bit. Going to need some new fasteners. All this crap was very rusted.

Which leaf from the bundle gets removed for those that have done that for a rear lowering? Or are the leafs being replaced with de-arched ones?
    Wayne H.

boostaholic

I always remove the second long one.

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Thanks Randy. I'll have to order one so i can look at it. The pictures don't really show much.

So i should mount my walbro inside the 94 plastic can, then attach it all to my existing tank mount (with the 3 fuel line stubs) so i can keep my existing pump wire connection?
    Or do you use the whole 94 module except for swapping out the walbro and redo the vehicle wiring connector for the pump?
    Wayne, I haven't actually tried the 1994 style pump in a 1989, but if I read Vigo correctly, he has.

Also I believe he said he installed the older style pump in the plastic can.

I don't know if he said the 1994 can uses the jet but many/most modules do.

I did this a while back on a 1995 Spirit, I was only doing this to keep a beater on the road, older pump in a module.

Prior to this, I learned about the jet while working on a 1997 Caravan module.

The jet is at the bottom of the plastic tank so you would need to retain the 1994 housing.

Anyone who has a home or cottage water system where the pump is above ground will have a jet pump.

Its magic how it sucks water from a tank far under ground using the venturi effect.

From about 1990 many automotive applications use this technology.

Many who just replace fuel pump modules don't care about the jet, and how it works.

The can has to be "massaged" apart as they clip together.

Ask some guys who are much smarter than me about their observations and how they "vacuum" fuel.

Thanks
    Randy

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Randy, would you see any problem with using the baffled tank and this newer style jet pump?
    Although most newer vehicles that are using the pump may not have baffled tanks, but how many have a shallow and flat tank like the minis and cut some neck jerking launches...
    Wayne H.

Wayne I cant think of a problem if it fits, but I'm not sure if there are any fitting problems.

Possibly could start a new thread on "venturi jet fuel pump modules", or "fuel pump module in baffled tank".

Must be someone who has tried. The canister/jet is vastly superior to a baffle IMHO.

Curious as to others experience if any.

Thanks
    Randy

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Hybrid booster

http://www.shocks.com/monroe-58648-s...-absorber.html

these shocks are identical to the factory box van shocks.. except they are literately only 2 inches shorter.
    neato feature is they have springs on them already.

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    http://www.shocks.com/monroe-58648-s...-absorber.html

these shocks are identical to the factory box van shocks.. except they are literately only 2 inches shorter.
    neato feature is they have springs on them already.
    I like the rancho 9000 series because they are adjustable. At the track i set them all the way up to 9 and they are like having two pieces of pipe in place of the shocks!
    Wayne H.

Ordered some Rancho 9000xl shocks from Advance Auto. Using a coupon code saved $40 off each shock! Ordered seperately and used the same code!
    RS999006. I think they listed for some older Jeep, but seemed to be close enough dimensions to work, hopefully. They have no cross-reference for the RS9155 that are coming off.
    Wayne H.

Got my shocks in and they measured a bit shorter compressed than the one being removed (RS9155 which they no longer make)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1482524852602.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	59913
    Pretty clear by the look of the shock on the left why it was rattling so bad in the back. Apparently i've been racing like this the last several times, including Cecil.

The helper coil springs used to have a poly air bag inside them, but they were all cracked and coming apart after 20 years. They were originally from JCWhitney i believe. I had previously removed the broken airbags.
    I removed the helper coil spring from one side, hoping to modify it a bit by shortening the coil, but all the hardware is rusted and will need to be replaced. So when doing the other side, i just left it on for now.
    Rancho instructions say to mount with the 9 position valve on the bottom, so i did and the valve is kind of pointed toward the ground.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1482524811342.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	59912

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1482524899049.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	59914
    Wayne H.

I am definitely going to use this new part # when i buy shocks for my van.