Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A new direction - turbo 360 truck motor

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

A new direction - turbo 360 truck motor

Greetings and salutations.

I've been away from these boards for a while, looking at my life and the projects I have sitting around. I came to a tough decision and liquidated ALL of my turbo FWD stuff.

I'm now rebuilding the Ramcharger. The suspesnion (at stock height for now) is completely rebuilt and the tired old lean-burn 318 is coming out for a 50k original mile 360. Currently, the 360 is stock bottom end (8:1 compression), mild cam, headers, aftermarket carb. Nothing radical.

The goals for the truck are :

(1) Winter weather transportation. It's primary goal has always been to get me to work in the worst weather conditions
    (2) Occasional towing. Once in a while I pull the race car with it, often I pull a light, enclosed trailer to the campgrounds.
    (3) MUD. Yeah, this is where the FUN comes in. Summer weekend mud toy.

Originally I figured an easy 300 hp out of the 360 with increased compression, aforementioned headers, cam, carb.

Then, as I'm cleaning up the garage, I trip over the HX35 Holset I had purchased for a 16v hybrid 2.5

Stock 360 has 8:1 compression. Holset is small for a 5.9L V8, but what about a low RPM truck V8? Muahahaha....

So I've been around the web and I've come back here because of the vast turbo knowledge. I know it isn't 2.2/2.5 stuff but I just know I can get good advice here.

Stock 360 LA engine, factory 8:1 (ish) compression, carb blowthrough, single HX35

A. With a single HX35 on a stock 360 LA when should I see boost?

B. At what RPM would the HX35 choke out the 360 because it is too small?

C. I think the HX35 should be good for 350-400 HP and I think that should be attainable in a 360 at a low boost of 7-10 psi. Am I right?

D. Will I be able to hold the HX35 down at 7-10 psi with an external 'gate?

turbo addict

Re: A new direction - turbo 360 truck motor

I think you should go with a magnum and pull the fuel injection system. You could then run a simple FMU and slightly bigger injectors.

Mitsu booster

Agreed, junkyard magnum stuff isn't going to be any more expensive than what you have, and the heads are much better.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by prepared View Post
    The goals for the truck are :

(1) Winter weather transportation. It's primary goal has always been to get me to work in the worst weather conditions ...
    Stock 360 has 8:1 compression. Holset is small for a 5.9L V8, but what about a low RPM truck V8? Muahahaha....
    I don't see those being compatible, unless you want to flip out the rear end all the time by lightly breathing in the direction of the gas pedal.

Mitsu booster

I drove a supercharged 5.9 dakota (2wd) in the winter in the mountains in centre county PA. Just get snow tires on all four corners and don't drive like an asshat. You'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    I think you should go with a magnum and pull the fuel injection system. You could then run a simple FMU and slightly bigger injectors.
    There shall be NO electronics on the truck. Just 'cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Five9dak View Post
    Agreed, junkyard magnum stuff isn't going to be any more expensive than what you have, and the heads are much better.
    But, what I have is what I have. Considering buying a set of LA compatible Magnum heads, but contemplating this as I have the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior222 View Post
    I don't see those being compatible, unless you want to flip out the rear end all the time by lightly breathing in the direction of the gas pedal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Five9dak View Post
    I drove a supercharged 5.9 dakota (2wd) in the winter in the mountains in centre county PA. Just get snow tires on all four corners and don't drive like an asshat. You'll be fine.
    I've lived most all of my life in the midwest and I'm fully capable of driving in the winter. I did a LOT of driving back before FWD was even around. Try driving around a 2wd truck with 4-wheel drum brakes on ice. Scary!!

However, if the small turbo would build boost so fast it was uncontrollable, I could see that being an issue.

And, yes, I have winter tires all around on the truck in the winter. My favorite passtime is watching asshats drive in the winter. I also enjoy trading the end of my two rope for a twenty dollar bill.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Maybe you can get one of those huge 21cm2 housings off an early h1c that noone wants for cheap?? That would help the breathing on the v8. Will that bolt on to an hx35?

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Well, I drove my supercharged dakota in the winter as well. I made around 400whp, and this was in my 3500lb single cab short bed truck.

Although it was driveable in the winter, it was not exactly easy to drive. Did I mention I had a locker too?

One reason a magnum and fuel injection system would benefit is that the heads flow better, and IMO the internals are pretty damn strong. I couldnt break my truck when I tried with even 15lbs of boost.

A blow through carb is going to set you back a good amount of money. What did you plan on running for carberation?

Hybrid booster

If you insist on running the old 360 a minimum upgrade will be GOOD head gaskets. Look at what the supercharged Dakotas run and see if they are actually LA gaskets. The main difference between an LA head gasket and Magnum head gasket is the oiling hole for the rocker arms is present in an LA gasket.

I agree with Mopar318, the bottom end is very strong. A Magnum engine uses the same rods as the older 318/360.

You did not mention if the 360 is 2bbl or 4bbl. The 4bbl uses a cam that looks pretty well suited for forced induction, however the old 360 heads in stock form run out of steam by 5000rpm. I would think a large external gate would allow you to run the HX35 much like an SRT4 runs a small turbo with huge flow out the wastegate to keep from choking the engine to death.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0426 View Post
    If you insist on running the old 360 a minimum upgrade will be GOOD head gaskets. Look at what the supercharged Dakotas run and see if they are actually LA gaskets. The main difference between an LA head gasket and Magnum head gasket is the oiling hole for the rocker arms is present in an LA gasket.

I agree with Mopar318, the bottom end is very strong. A Magnum engine uses the same rods as the older 318/360.

You did not mention if the 360 is 2bbl or 4bbl. The 4bbl uses a cam that looks pretty well suited for forced induction, however the old 360 heads in stock form run out of steam by 5000rpm. I would think a large external gate would allow you to run the HX35 much like an SRT4 runs a small turbo with huge flow out the wastegate to keep from choking the engine to death.
    Yes, I used LA head gaskets. Good for 15psi or so on a good tune.

I dont know anything about holsets, will that bigger exhaust housing from the early ones bolt on? I really think it would help this app.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    Well, I drove my supercharged dakota in the winter as well. I made around 400whp, and this was in my 3500lb single cab short bed truck.

Although it was driveable in the winter, it was not exactly easy to drive. Did I mention I had a locker too?

One reason a magnum and fuel injection system would benefit is that the heads flow better, and IMO the internals are pretty damn strong. I couldnt break my truck when I tried with even 15lbs of boost.

A blow through carb is going to set you back a good amount of money. What did you plan on running for carberation?

Lockers are notoriously bad in winter!! I'm certain I'll need a selectable locker - open for winter and closed for mud.

Here are my thoughts - not trying to defend my idea, just speaking them to further the discussion.

1.) The magnum heads DO flow better, no doubt. However, I'd see the combination of the small turbo and the LA heads to be better than magnum heads with the same turbo.

2.) My other option is magnum heads and higher compression pistons. This is going to be more money and see #3

3.) The reason I see a turbo being the way to go is that outside of boost, you have a very mild mannered powerplant. No large cam or outrageous compression. Give it some skinny pedal and the boost brings the engine alive. You've got driveability in the winter and powe in the mud.

The 360 is a 4v. Did they make a 2v 360 LA? Anyway, the stock intake is adequate. The stock QJ carb is in good shape but wouldn't suffice for a blowthrough. I also have a 750 dp stock and a modified 950 dp but neither are setup for blowthrough. I am very comfortable with carb modifications.

QUESTIONS:

1.) For a single turbo V8 setup, is it OK to mount the turbo closer to one bank? If I come straight forward from the drivers bank, I have room for the turbo where the smog pump used to be, but then I will have to pipe further from the passenger bank.

2.) Where can I look for a 21cm2 housing for my Holset?

3.) Would a single 3" exhaust be adequate from the turbo back?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by prepared View Post
    1.) For a single turbo V8 setup, is it OK to mount the turbo closer to one bank? If I come straight forward from the drivers bank, I have room for the turbo where the smog pump used to be, but then I will have to pipe further from the passenger bank.

2.) Where can I look for a 21cm2 housing for my Holset?

3.) Would a single 3" exhaust be adequate from the turbo back?
    Yeah, you can run the turbo off one manifold and use a crossover to get the other side to it. just make sure you keep the crossover pipe insulated so the exhaust stays hot. I used lots of fiberglass wrap.

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I am in the beginning stages of a single turbo 340 in a 91 Dakota. I am going to pattern my build after this one. Mine will be lower boost, blow through carb, non-intercooled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copyoffebuary20102145.jpg 
Views:	4343 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	26661  
    85 Shelby Charger Commonblock T-II, GT3076, TU Cast Header, 3" SV, TU R-2 Plus Billet Cam, TU Custom Calibration

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

Ok, first off I would like to say that you're using the wrong type of engine. If you're going turbo 5.9 in a Ramcharger, it should probably not have spark plugs.

That being said, I just yanked my 21CM housing off my truck a few months ago. Lemme make sure I have it, but you can just pay shipping and it's yours.
    Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

I think the bigger housing will make the engine a lot easier to keep out of boost and modulate, and be less of a restriction. Im pretty sure the 5.9 diesel spools whatever the hx35 housing is at like 1500 rpm..

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    Ok, first off I would like to say that you're using the wrong type of engine. If you're going turbo 5.9 in a Ramcharger, it should probably not have spark plugs.

That being said, I just yanked my 21CM housing off my truck a few months ago. Lemme make sure I have it, but you can just pay shipping and it's yours.
    I would be extremely happy to remove the spark plugs in my truck. However, I have ZERO diesel experience and about that much luck finding a 6BT.

LMK on that housing!!!

I am also considering buying a 2000 Durango with a 5.9 I would want to turbo it thinking more of a 4X4 than a 2wd but for the streets IE SRT8 Jeep mode. What would be good turbo for 400hp and what size larger injector for this magnum set up also would I need a adj regulator. Not trying to jack your thread but this has peaked my interest. after reading your thread.

Lynn Also are there any programs like we have for our cars to do custom tunes.???

Yep, you'd need another regulator, and an inline fuel pump too. Im pretty sure the magnum engines have a returnless fuel system and the pressure regulator is built into the pump assembly. Therefore the only way to raise pressure is to add an inline pump and an FPR that recirculates fuel around it.

This is going from memory so i could be completely wrong. I think the same turbo discussed here would work on your truck.

As for injectors, i wouldnt know off the top of my head but it would be easy to figure out with online calculators. Im guessing in the 36lb/hr range, somewhere near that.

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

Sorry man...totally forgot to check on the turbo housing. Would you still like me to look?
    Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast