Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: 2 Piece intake

Garrett booster

WTB: 2 Piece intake

Looking for a complete 2 piece intake with the fuel rail and if possible the OEM EGR valve (no matter what condition the valve is in). I need to get the EGR baloney on my 87 TII for state inspection. They don't test if it works. They just visually verify that it's there.

turbo addict

Re: WTB: 2 Piece intake

thought EGR on 87 T2's was Ca emmisions only?

Garrett booster

It's this huge fiasco with the stupid inspection station and the state. They keep insisting the car should have an EGR valve and I have no way to prove it doesn't. I also thought there wasn't one for TII either but the FSM shows one so essentially I'm SOL unless I appease the state.

Mitsu booster

Go to a different station. Paying the fee twice is worth a lot less than a two-piece and your labor.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 87DaytonaPac View Post
    It's this huge fiasco with the stupid inspection station and the state. They keep insisting the car should have an EGR valve and I have no way to prove it doesn't. I also thought there wasn't one for TII either but the FSM shows one so essentially I'm SOL unless I appease the state.
    yeah just post up asking other PA members where they go???

ive only ever seen 1, 2 piece intake like that...it was a NOS prototype and even only had 3 ribs on the top.

any 2 piece I have owned was never even machined for the EGR...

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post

The problem is, I will face this issue again next year. Running from station to station hoping to find someone who over looks this is not a good long term strategy. I lose $60 a pop for a fail. If I have to go through this every year, the cost of a 2 piece will quickly be exceeded.

Now, Juggy, your comment intrigues me. If I could get my paws on an 87 TII 2 piece manifold and show that the area as shown as having an EGR in the FSM isn't even machined for it, then I can prove the FSM is wrong and then I could show that subsequent manuals were corrected and indeed TII cars do not have an EGR.

My goal is to solve this in a consistent repeatable way so that I can reliably get the car inspected every year. So either I fake an EGR to make them happy or put a part in their hands that refutes their assertion that the TII has an EGR valve. Ultimately I would like a nice letter head document from them saying the EGR issue is waived on the car. That's probably the least likely thing to happen but it's the goal.

Garrett booster

I just got off the phone with the emissions people. They say if the garage is satisfied with the documentation that there is no EGR, then that's all that's needed. I asked for a letter saying that and the guy said they are not authorized to put anything in writing. He said the ticket number or this issue stays on file and that I can refer inspection stations to that.

I called the garage and now the jerk is trying to make an issue out of the neutral safety switch. He claims that since I changed transmissions from an automatic to a manual that it's an issue. We'll see what happens. I'm owed a free do over from this garage. If he fails it again on something bogus, I'll go somewhere else and pray.

At a minimum, once I am done with this place I am done with them forever. Lesson learned from trying to support a mom and pop business. They don't appreciate it apparently and don't care if I take my business elsewhere.

At this point, I'd still like to pick up a 2 piece just for my own edification and to retain the option of faking an EGR valve.I can always use it on one of my Rampages!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Glad you got it solved. FYI, since the EGR was 86 only, many 87 2pc intakes have the block off plate, but some actually have the boss with no EGR vent hole (or EGR valve mounting holes) drilled... not sure why you would ever want to add EGR but that would make it more difficult!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    yeah just post up asking other PA members where they go???

ive only ever seen 1, 2 piece intake like that...it was a NOS prototype and even only had 3 ribs on the top.

I thought it was common?

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Glad you got it solved. FYI, since the EGR was 86 only, many 87 2pc intakes have the block off plate, but some actually have the boss with no EGR vent hole (or EGR valve mounting holes) drilled... not sure why you would ever want to add EGR but that would make it more difficult!
    Well he doesn't have to run it, just use a block off plate under the valve and bolt it on. Like he said, they just want to see it!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Thanks for the information. I know what I'll be looking at now.

turbo addict

Thats hilarious that they even LOOK for an egr valve wow. Mainly anyone around my area wants to make sure the car is safe and not going to kill anyone. They could care less if it had an egr valve, especially on a '95 and earlier. Also a neutral safety switch? Rofl...this guy needs to get over himself.

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

I've got a 2 piece from an 87 Shelby Lancer, complete with rail, $200 + shipping and 3% paypal
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by J&H Ryan View Post
    I've got a 2 piece from an 87 Shelby Lancer, complete with rail, $200 + shipping and 3% paypal

Okay. I put out an offer for one just a couple hours ago since i haven't had any hits lately. If that one doesn't go through, I'll be sending you a PM.

Edited: Sorry I've got your offer third not second.
    Last edited by 87DaytonaPac; 11-25-2010 at 12:40 AM.

Garrett booster

As it turns out, I didn't get it solved. The garage I went to was intent on failing the car so i took it someplace else confident that the ticket number the state emissions clowns gave me was the golden key to a successful emissions "inspection."

Well sure as ---- the second garage failed it. I gave them the ticket number and they called the state. The only record under that ticket number was that I called. Nothing else, no resolution, no waiver. NADA. Zip. Zilch. F@#king lazy dimwit bureaucrats sponging up my tax dollars just to jerk me around! So, I will now be traveling this Thanksgiving with expired safety and emissions stickers. God I hate the state sooooo much.

Since the state, the station and the tree huggers all want to be stupid, I will give them what they want and play along. I'll will be setting up a dummy EGR system that does nothing but add a few more pounds the the car and all those concerned enviro-twits, bureaucrats and inspection station mechanics can all sleep soundly at night knowing they've cleaned up another egregious polluting old car.

Wow, sorry to hear that man

There's gotta be someway to prove that the 87 Turbo II did not have EGR... was your car originally T1? or California Emissions?

Have a safe trip this weekend!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Garrett booster

It was originally a T1. Unfortunately, the 87 manual shows the TII as having an EGR! Other than a dummy EGR would possibly be filling out a "modified" car form but I believe it would be up to the same office drones currently jerking me around to approve that application. I'll rig something up. I'll know better for the next build and just rig it while the engine is out.

Just edited to add: Between my work place and the government, it appears to me more and more that there's a world arranged on paper that doesn't represent the real world at all. It's very bizarre. My work place is quasi-governmental and it is surreal the way that the reality of the world and the world as represented on paper are almost two different worlds. I often wonder how long it can go on that way with so many people devoted to making the paper the real world and ignoring the actual real world at the same time.
    Last edited by 87DaytonaPac; 11-24-2010 at 11:23 PM.

The T1 VIN might be leading them to teh EGR as well.

That is total BS...

BTW, I just looked on Pages 11-12 and 11-13 of the FSM and you're right it shows the damn EGR... does your 2pc have the block off plate or the cast over boss? If cast over you may have an argument?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Garrett booster

I don't have a 2pc in hand yet. I just offered to buy one today so I will have to see. Unfortunately, this experience has shown me that regardless of what the inspection mechanic sees with his own eyes, he will parrot whatever the state says as the gospel. If the state has a paper that says EGR, then it has to have one regardless of the reality. So, papers become real and reality becomes null and void. Insanity.

I heard the best way to pass PA inspection is to bring in a 12-er of Latrobe's finest Rolling Rock?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Garrett booster

Ya know, I used to live in the Scranton area (Northeast PA) and never had this trouble. State College is a whole different story. The locals peg someone as an outsider and go out of their way to jerk that person around. I've never experienced anything like it. I think there is a strong undercurrent of resentment to the University and students/faculty/professionals that come in and take over "their" town. They seem oblivious to the fact that without the University, this town would be a cow pie in a field.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast