Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone driven a VNT/Auto car??

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Anyone driven a VNT/Auto car??

Im thinking about building one (already have the parts), but curious if anyone else has done so and if so, what their opinion on it was.

Any info appreciated.
    Last edited by Vigo; 03-26-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Re: Anyone driven a VNT/Auto car??

It would be interesting. It has been a while since I drove a VNT car, but my dads rampage with a 2.5/mitsu spools so fast I can not imagine It being any faster!

turbo addict

I don't know, I've only driven a VNT once. And while the boost was instant there still wasn't any power. No flow through the rest of the motor. I plan on having VNT like boost on my automatic, with a ported head, my big plenum intake, and a S60 turbo. Probably just end up blowing the tranny

Well, at least half the reason i want to use the VNT stuff at all is just for the fact that its unique. I am not SO much interested in real power, although i am pretty much set on upgrading the compressor side to some extent. Depends on what parts donor turbo i can get for cheap. Regular 60 trim t3 wheel from a merkur seems likely.

It would be mostly stock to start though.. 86-87 t1 2.2 bottom end, stock g-head, stock 1pc (to start), stock tIV intercooler, etc. I AM considering putting it on a tbi header with an external wastegate, though. I think the EWG is the biggest thing the VNT setup needs other than a bigger compressor.

Im thinking of putting this in the executive sedan with a 2.6FD lockup trans, so weight + gearing is going to kill the speed in any case.. i just want it to be nice to drive (i think a 2.2 at 15psi would count, even with the weight, but itll NEED instant/constant boost) and get good highway mpg (limo should be a road-trip car, right?).

Thanks for the thoughts so far... anyone else?

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

With 2.5 cat back exhaust and a chip that allows 14 psi boost, my VNT Daytona makes 174 hp at the wheel, with full boost by 2100 rpm. Very similar to, or better than, a fairly stock T2 setup. It does fall on it's face at 5000-5200 rpm though as it just can't breathe through that restrictive exhaust turbine housing.

As it is, if I take off easily from a stop light and once I am doing about 10 mph floor the gas, the tires just break loose and burn through 1st, sometimes into 2nd.

IMO, if it was an automatic, the torque multiplication at launch would just make it worse. Very little traction in 1st and maybe 2nd also.

It would certainly be a fun drive, and would impress folks on the street, being able to roast the tires almost at will. But it only adds to the low end the car already has which to me is not good for overall performance.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Oddly enough, i seem to have a different opinion than most people about the 2.2's torque (keeping in mind this will be a 2.2).

To be clear, all my personal experience has been with cars built with stock parts.. i.e. no big turbos, major porting, etc.

I have never for half a second thought that any 2.2/auto car, either log or with a basic t2 setup, was remotely torquey without boost, and even with boost the ones i have driven are underwhelming. I have never experienced a 2.2/auto burning through first gear. In fact, i have had a 2.5/auto t2 setup up to 14psi and only occasionally would that break loose in 1st, and only after the boost kicked in (15 mph or so?). In comparison, my 2.5/5spd aries will often burn through 2nd at 7psi. My 2.2/5spd spirit doesnt have traction problems in 2nd until something like 14 or 15psi, and thats with worse tires.

Having driven comparable low-power, stockish setups in both 2.2 and 2.5, manual and auto, its been my experience that the auto ALWAYS makes tire spin less likely than with a 5spd, and makes the car a LOT slower. I have not paid close attention to spool but they seem to make transient spool-up slower as well, although they do allow you to build boost before rolling if you want to.

Anyway, I think that perhaps putting an external wastegate on a tbi header will help with the high rpm restriction of the vnt turbine housing.. Wont know for sure until i try. It's definitely never going to make power above 5k unless i put something better than a stock 1pc intake on it.

Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by Vigo; 02-10-2011 at 11:28 PM.

turbo addict

My experiences, with the 2.2/auto have been the same as yours. That said, My dads 2.5/auto rampage with a mitsu makes 1st gear useless. Tire smoke on demand. But, it has a 90 motor and tranny. I THINK that the later cars, 89+ have a higher stall then the 88 and older cars. My Ny has a T2 swap, and with a 300rpm higher stall I think it would respond very similar to the rampage. With the lower stall, all the older cars 2.2 cars I have drove seem to have the converter engage a few hundred RPMs before the car spools. The rampage does not have that problem, BUT the 2.5/mitsu vs a 2.2/t3 is apples to oranges on spool time. One thing I did to my NY that seemed to REALLY help the low end was swapping to a 88 T1 roller cam. I swapped one into my 2.2/carb rampage and it seemed help it too.

I think the key here, is in the converter. But, from what it sounds like what you want to do, why not go for a 3.0/3.3/3.8 swap?

Mostly because i think the vnt thing will be more unique and get better mileage. AND, i already have all the parts and its an easy swap.

boostaholic

This is going to be cool. Where did you get the VNT stuff?
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

boostaholic

I have driven one. It wasnt the fastest but it was unique. Thats what I liked about it.

Hey man this is kinda ironic, as I was contemplating the same exact thing when reassembling the 85 Lancer ES last month! In the end I chose a mitsu, because I figured that the difference in spool would be minimal. Also, since the Lancer has a non-lock-up auto tranny, and is going to see lots of highway use, there's a chance it may occasionally see some higher RPM's...in which case, the VNT's negative aspect of choking up could possibly become an issue.

A friend of mine mentioned that most people wouldn't be able to identify a VNT turbo while it's tucked back behind the engine anyhow, and that if I wanted to make people think twice, I should merely install some "VNT INTERCOOLED" decals on the hood, and then use what ever turbo is best for the application LOL!

But it's definitely a neat idea! If you have the parts available and that's what you want, go for it!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Oddly enough, i seem to have a different opinion than most people about the 2.2's torque (keecar ping in mind this will be a 2.2).

To be clear, all my personal experience has been with cars built with stock parts.. i.e. no big turbos, major porting, etc.

I have never for half a second thought that any 2.2/auto car, either log or with a basic t2 setup, was remotely torquey without boost, and even with boost the ones i have driven are underwhelming. I have never experienced a 2.2/auto burning through first gear. In fact, i have had a 2.5/auto t2 setup up to 14psi and only occasionally would that break loose in 1st, and only after the boost kicked in (15 mph or so?). In comparison, my 2.5/5spd aries will often burn through 2nd at 7psi. My 2.2/5spd spirit doesnt have traction problems in 2nd until something like 14 or 15psi, and thats with worse tires.

Having driven comparable low-power, stockish setups in both 2.2 and 2.5, manual and auto, its been my experience that the auto ALWAYS makes tire spin less likely than with a 5spd, and makes the car a LOT slower. I have not paid close attention to spool but they seem to make transient spool-up slower as well, although they do allow you to build boost before rolling if you want to.

Anyway, I think that perhaps putting an external wastegate on a tbi header will help with the high rpm restriction of the vnt turbine housing.. Wont know for sure until i try. It's definitely never going to make power above 5k unless i put something better than a stock 1pc intake on it.

Thanks for the input.
    From your comments it seems you don't have much experience driving a VNT. It is unlike any T1 or T2 car. It builds its boost down low, making it a VERY torquey response.

My VNT Daytona has been my summer daily driver for over 10 years now. On the street, I can break the front tires loose at nearly any speed in first gear (without revving the motor up first). With full boost coming in at 2100 rpm it darts through traffic unlike any other turbo mopar. There is NO turbo lag.

Here's the difference I've seen at the drag strip. My Omni (T1) and my Lancer (T2) both need to be launched above 3500 to keep the engine from bogging in the first 60'.

My VNT Daytona, if I launch above 2000 rpms, the tires just go up in smoke and 2nd gear is nearly as bad. That is how ALL correctly running VNT's should run.

The only mods from stock on my car are the 2.5" cat back exhaust and a chip that allows 14 lps boost. The car runs a mid 16 quarter mile, but the speed (about 90) shows it should be a mid 15 or quicker car. But without slicks it is nearly impossible to launch it without massive tire spin, ruining the 60' times.

If you only have the VNT engine and not the correct wiring harness with the 3 VNT solenoids and the correct engine controller, you may as well swap the turbo and make it a T2. You cannot properly control the VNT turbo without these items.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

This is going to be cool. Where did you get the VNT stuff?
    Off a VNT daytona that Strax22 and i parted out for his van a few months back. Other parts of it are on my other cars.

A friend of mine mentioned that most people wouldn't be able to identify a VNT turbo while it's tucked back behind the engine anyhow, and that if I wanted to make people think twice, I should merely install some "VNT INTERCOOLED" decals on the hood, and then use what ever turbo is best for the application LOL!
    Lol, that would be mean! Get everybody all worked up for nothing..

From your comments it seems you don't have much experience driving a VNT.
    That's true, i have none. Never driven a VNT car. It's probably going to go down just like several of my other 'firsts'.. first 5spd car i owned was the one i built. First running/boosting turbo car i owned was the one i built,and now the first VNT car i ever drive will probably be the one i build.

I do have the correct harness and everything else from the VNT daytona, for the record.

What you said has me thinking now that if the turbo spools up BEFORE the converter stalls.. then yes, there might be some crazy torque multiplication going on. I admit that before i didnt really consider that possibility after your first post.. it didnt sink in. Now i am VERY curious. Limo Burnouts ought to get some looks.

What you said has me thinking now that if the turbo spools up BEFORE the converter stalls.. then yes, there might be some crazy torque multiplication going on. I admit that before i didnt really consider that possibility after your first post.. it didnt sink in. Now i am VERY curious. Limo Burnouts ought to get some looks.
    Yep, definitely a possibility!

Best of luck with your build.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

What if you put a less restrictive manifold and some bigger cams on it to shift the power band up a little higher?
    Vince 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 I miss my Plymouth Duster. :(

Well, since im putting the car together i can decide before hand how i want the converter to be. Although realistically id be choosing between like a 3.0/670 converter and a neon 2.0 converter. ive had both and they are pretty different stall, both cheap too. I think i will probably just err on side of torque and go with the neon converter.

As far as moving the powerband up.. well, making it spool at a higher rpm is one thing, i can probably do that just by messing with the factory dual port can on the turbo. I doubt i will try to make it spool up slower, though. As far as making it make power at a higher rpm.. That comes down to 2 basic things.. the 1pc intake, and the turbine side of the VNT. Those are the things that would hold it back the most at high rpm. I am building a modded 1pc for the aries right now. If it works well i can build another one for the limo. As far as the turbine housing, i dont know that i would modify it before trying it the way it is (i havent driven a vnt, i want to know what im trying to fix before i try to fix it), but the turndown piece that hooks to the downpipe looks like a big POS and looks easy to build a better one. I probably WILL do that.

Even with the stock crazy spool, hooking it up to a tall gear auto is going to make it pretty easy to modulate, i think. Even if i never rev it past 5000 rpm either, 5000 rpm is over 50mph in 1st gear with a 2.6 fd and tall tires.

turbo addict

I've driven a couple of VNT cars...they are a lot like driving a V6 actually! It's effortless. As Barry mentioned...launching them is tricky, to say the least.

I'd imagine if you wanted to get a feel for how it would drive, go test drive a newer VW 1.8T, or TDI. It's gonna be pretty darn close!

I really like TDIs. If they didnt hold value so darn well i'd own one.

I assume putting a heavier compressor wheel on is going to slow things down a LITTLE bit, but probably not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I've driven a couple of VNT cars...they are a lot like driving a V6 actually! It's effortless. As Barry mentioned...launching them is tricky, to say the least.
    You know what is just about hardest thing to do in a VNT? Leave a light quickly without squealing the tires. Next to impossible. Lots of clutch slippage needed to pull it off.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    From your comments it seems you don't have much experience driving a VNT. It is unlike any T1 or T2 car. It builds its boost down low, making it a VERY torquey response.

My VNT Daytona has been my summer daily driver for over 10 years now. On the street, I can break the front tires loose at nearly any speed in first gear (without revving the motor up first). With full boost coming in at 2100 rpm it darts through traffic unlike any other turbo mopar. There is NO turbo lag.

Here's the difference I've seen at the drag strip. My Omni (T1) and my Lancer (T2) both need to be launched above 3500 to keep the engine from bogging in the first 60'.

My VNT Daytona, if I launch above 2000 rpms, the tires just go up in smoke and 2nd gear is nearly as bad. That is how ALL correctly running VNT's should run.

The only mods from stock on my car are the 2.5" cat back exhaust and a chip that allows 14 lps boost. The car runs a mid 16 quarter mile, but the speed (about 90) shows it should be a mid 15 or quicker car. But without slicks it is nearly impossible to launch it without massive tire spin, ruining the 60' times.

If you only have the VNT engine and not the correct wiring harness with the 3 VNT solenoids and the correct engine controller, you may as well swap the turbo and make it a T2. You cannot properly control the VNT turbo without these items.

Barry

Sounds like you are driving my GTC VNT Barry. It too, reacts like your Daytona. Lots and lots of fun to drive. I love the performance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast