Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total timing and scan tools

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Total timing and scan tools

What's normal to see on a scan-tool at around 15-16 psi at WOT? I'm seeing 14 on a Snap-On scanner. Shows 12 at idle and 33ish cruising at 45 in 5th. Do you add the initial timing to this number? I have my initial set to 12, if you add it that makes 24 degrees total timing at idle and 26 at 15psi@WOT, and 45ish while cruising.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: Total timing and scan tools

The 12 degrees 'base timing' is not really timing added to the total. It's just a reference point - you can't time an angine at 0 deg advance, for example. It won't run. So, when you pull the CTS, the computer sets the timing to 12 deg and you adjust the distributor until the 12 deg mark lines up. This is how the computer knows the HEP is lined up with the engine crank angle.

Now, if you set base timing at 14 deg as opposed to 12, then you will need to add 2 to whatever the scantool shows as the computer will not be able to detect that change.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    The 12 degrees 'base timing' is not really timing added to the total. It's just a reference point - you can't time an angine at 0 deg advance, for example. It won't run. So, when you pull the CTS, the computer sets the timing to 12 deg and you adjust the distributor until the 12 deg mark lines up. This is how the computer knows the HEP is lined up with the engine crank angle.

Now, if you set base timing at 14 deg as opposed to 12, then you will need to add 2 to whatever the scantool shows as the computer will not be able to detect that change.
    Ahhhhhhhh, I didn't know that, thanks. I always thought it was added.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Gotcha, that's sorta what I was thinking. Me and Kevin were arguing about it the other day while discussing my cal

So do the numbers I posted look right, or a little high or low?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

They look right but each combo is different, so if your not pinging, then add more,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

14 sounds about right. It really depends on the cal...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    They look right but each combo is different, so if your not pinging, then add more,
    Well it's pulling harder at part-throttle than at WOT, I was thinking I needed more timing at WOT but when I compare the tables in MP Tuner the part-throttle table actually has less timing. So, we are thinking that maybe it's too much timing and the knock sensor is picking up knock and pulling timing. I think I'm gonna match the WOT table to the part-throttle table and see what it does.

14 sounds about right. It really depends on the cal...
    It's a modded T-nator v10 cal I believe, set for 40's and a 3-bar map on a stock-headed 2.2 T2 pushing 20psi. Kevin has done all the work on it so far.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Well it's pulling harder at part-throttle than at WOT, I was thinking I needed more timing at WOT but when I compare the tables in MP Tuner the part-throttle table actually has less timing. So, we are thinking that maybe it's too much timing and the knock sensor is picking up knock and pulling timing. I think I'm gonna match the WOT table to the part-throttle table and see what it does.
    I'd guess you are just leaner at part throttle. Of course that was before you added 5psi more boost. Get a wideband on it. I moved the timing around a little and it didn't help. Of course the tuning was when your turbo was dieing and you had boost leaks. The timing should be close to the CSX Stage 2 which is close to your setup. You need to figure out what makes your power loss light come and go also.

It's a modded T-nator v10 cal I believe, set for 40's and a 3-bar map on a stock-headed 2.2 T2 pushing 20psi. Kevin has done all the work on it so far.

Shelgame, after a rescale it seems that I have take a bunch of fuel out of the PE table. Makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong or if there is a problem script. Can you take a look at the cal?
    Last edited by DodgeZ; 11-13-2010 at 10:33 PM.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

As Kevin suggested, its probably leaner at P/T, this is also typical of stock cals, its richer on top so it doesn't pull as hard as the leaner P/T.

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post
    I'd guess you are just leaner at part throttle. Of course that was before you added 5psi more boost. Get a wideband on it. I moved the timing around a little and it didn't help. Of course the tuning was when your turbo was dieing and you had boost leaks. The timing should be close to the CSX Stage 2 which is close to your setup. You need to figure out what makes your power loss light come and go also.
    You were looking at the gauge Maybe it's just never knocked? lol but, does anyone know how to test a knock sensor? Is there a knock gauge that works on our sensors?

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    As Kevin suggested, its probably leaner at P/T, this is also typical of stock cals, its richer on top so it doesn't pull as hard as the leaner P/T.
    Well what good is that
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post
    Shelgame, after a rescale it seems that I have take a bunch of fuel out of the PE table. Makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong or if there is a problem script. Can you take a look at the cal?
    Everything looks like it's scaled correctly to me. How old are the +40's? Some of the newer ones seem to flow quite a bit more than the original +40's. I sometimes scale for 58pph injectors. I suspect that they are actually 550cc/min injectors, but rated at 43psi. Which would make them flow about 58pph at our 55psi base fuel pressure.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

I bought them used a while ago, maybe 5-6 years ago?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

The only way to know for sure is to get them flowed.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Everything looks like it's scaled correctly to me. How old are the +40's? Some of the newer ones seem to flow quite a bit more than the original +40's. I sometimes scale for 58pph injectors. I suspect that they are actually 550cc/min injectors, but rated at 43psi. Which would make them flow about 58pph at our 55psi base fuel pressure.
    I recall talking about that before and forgot. I'll build another cal scaling to 58 and using the AFR tool.

thanks
    2022 Viper runs 9s

I think some of my issue is that the car doesn't ever warm up w/ a 180 t-stat.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

I think some of my issue is that the car doesn't ever warm up w/ a 180 t-stat.
    I thought you said it read more then 180 on the scan tool?
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Did I? lol I can't remember. I changed the t-stat to a 192 unit and it seemed to help, I got it to spin a little in 2nd last night at WOT. Could just be the conditions though (cooler weather, night, going uphill).
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

SOrry for hijacking this: but to come back on the base timing:

To my understanding - and correct me if I am wrong:

That 12º in the cal I understand to be an offset in the cal and has to match with whatever the engine is set to be the base timing physically.
    Would this mismatch, then whatever advance the smec commands would mismatch accordingly, correct?
    Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MopàrBCN View Post
    SOrry for hijacking this: but to come back on the base timing:

To my understanding - and correct me if I am wrong:

That 12º in the cal I understand to be an offset in the cal and has to match with whatever the engine is set to be the base timing physically.
    Would this mismatch, then whatever advance the smec commands would mismatch accordingly, correct?
    If I understand you right, then yes, it will mismatch by however much the base timing is off. Like, if you set the base timing at 14* and the cal is set for 12* base, then the advance the computer gives out will be 2* more than what it thinks it is. I think it basically moves the whole timing curve up or down.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Ok, that is my interpretation!
    Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast