Thread: Starts and Dies Part II

Starts and Dies Part II

Since the last thread was getting cluttered and I'm experiencing this problem again, I decided to make another thread. I'm getting closer to tracking down the problem.

What was/is happening is that while driving the car will randomly shut off completely. Usually it will start right up if I shut the car off and restart. Twice now though, I've had it just completely quit and not restart. It will start for a second then die.

I hooked up my fuel pressure gauge to make sure FP was good, it was. What I noticed though, is that when the car stalled (after a second or two of idling) the FP gauge would drop back down to the levels it was at as if I just primed the car (52psi or so), not the levels it was at while running.

So I ran a wire from the positive on the coil, to the interior of the car where I used a constant 12v feed to power the coil when the car started to stall. The car would start on its own, but when it started to stall I fed 12v to the coil and the car resumed idling/running (would rev fine too). I unhooked the wire and the car died. Next try though I left the wire off to make sure the results were reproducable. This time though (and the subsequent 2-3 times) the car started and stayed running on its own.

I have swapped power modules with another one I had, and before the car was being fed 12v to the coil, the car behaved the same way.

Does the logic module have anything to do with what I am guessing is the ASD circuit?

When giving the + coil wire 12v, which systems are being fed power and why would it run on its own after having to feed that system power once?

turbo addict

Re: Starts and Dies Part II

And the car is??????

ASD can be replaced on the later cars, earlier cars it was in the computer.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

1987 Dodge Daytona
    2.2L
    Ported Head/Exhaust/Intake Neck for 52mm TB
    3 Bar Map
    3 Bar Cal (Shel Game)
    Aurora Wires
    Autolite 63s

Isn't the ASD in the power module though? I swapped with one that came from a running car and it had the same result as the original one.

turbo addict

and you changed the HEP.......
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Hybrid booster

It's the connectors for the HEP. Had this exact same problem...it's pretty obnoxious. Get the car running, and grab the HEP connectors. Wiggle them a bit, and if the car shuts off, or starts to run terrible, that's your problem. Just eliminate the factory connectors and hard wire your hep. You can use quick disconnects so it'll be easier to swap your HEP in the future if you ever need to. Good luck!

I had changed the HEP when it happened last time (but put back the stock one and put the spare back on the shelf), but I noticed one of the connectors cracked on the HEP so I did swap out to my second for good this time. There is a different PM, and different HEP in there now and its running fine so far. I'll post again if its still doing it later. I'll also try jiggling the harness at the HEP and see if that does anything.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Did you try another PM, or still using the 2nd one you put in? as the ASD is in the PM and this sounds like an ASD issue.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I'm using the second one I put in. Which I was hesitant at first because I had to install an external VR in the car this PM came from. It seems to be charging on this car though...

Is the ASD relay connected directly to the harness that plugs into the PM? Like can I pull a few wires out of the harness and run an external relay? I have a three or four more spaces in my fuse block and seems like it would eliminate something simple that basically destroys a PM.

Nope wasn't it. Car just did it again. It started missing pretty bad (it was more of a single miss happening quickly rather than a continual miss if that makes sense), then died completely. I had tach signal while cranking, but it wouldn't start until I fed power to the coil positive terminal, then it started right up, stayed running and could be shutoff and restarted without issue.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Is the shutter wheel in the distributor loose? Bad guess on my part. Or a wiring harness that is rubbing somewhere and grounding out?
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Shutter wheel is tight to the shaft and the shaft only has a little (barely any) play against the oil pump. I don't think the harness is grounding out anywhere. The only way to get it to restart is provide power to the coil positive. Then its fine until the next time, no harness jiggling required.

Hybrid booster

so the +12v ignition feed to the coil is intermittent? Why not just disconnect the factory wire, and run your own brand new shiny +12v ignition feed to your coil?

Not just to the coil, its the whole ASD circuit. The fuel pump shuts off too.

Edit: I did find the wiring diagram for the ASD circuit. I might switch stuff around so the ASD relay is a relay on my fuse block with a new wire from the LM. If it still does it, the problem has to be the LM.
    Last edited by turbodaytona87; 11-16-2010 at 10:32 AM.

Straight relay didn't work :/ Anyone know what signals the ECU sends to the PM for ASD control? It looks like the pin outputs 12v until the car is running, then it switches to about .2-.3 volts?

It was getting late and I had to get the car running so I just ran a new wire from LM to PM. Failing that, I'll replace the wire from the PM to the junction where the FP/Injector Harness/Coil get their power. Then it gets a new LM.