Thread: ostrich issue

turbo addict

ostrich issue

I just got my ostrich today and got it going pretty quick and easy but after running it with the stock cal I ran into a little problem. Once the car sits and cools down again the car will start but chokes and coughs on a really rich mixture and will not run right untill I reload the bin and restart the car. Dont know what the problem is but it bugs me that I have to keep my laptop with me to start my car.

Its a 1990 sbec that was socketed by rob and has his chip converter all installed by him so I know its not a hardware issue, so what could it be?

I am running the 593 mtx 2.5 cal and I tried the 335 mp cal too from the repository
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: ostrich issue

Are these the stock cals? Or T-SBEC built with those templates? If re-loading the cal makes it better for a short time, then I'd say the adaptives are making it run rich. Which could be due to a bad O2 sensor - stuck lean. Maybe dounle check that it's getting a signal.

It doesn't seem like an ostrich problem to me. More like a cal/hardware issue. If the ostrich or SBEC had a problem, it most likely simply wouldn't work at all.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Well heres the full story. I loaded up the cal that you sent me from my desktop computer as soon as I got my ostrich in the mail and then it sat for a while. When I installed the sbec I cranked it over and I had to pedal it to make it run and it was blowing black smoke, I just thought it was a problem with the cal so I loaded the 593 MTX cal from the repository and it fired right up and I ran it for a while playing around with different things (it was idling at 1400 rpm since in that file 160 degrees is still warming up) so I dropped the idle a bit and had it going good. I wanted to throw your cal back in to see what happens again and bam it started right up fine but ran richer than normal but not as much black smoke. I took it for a drive with your cal and it started cutting out because it was going so lean. I then loaded the stock cal back up and kept driving. I got to work and played around with it some more and then left it to go inside to use the wifi to tell you that it started but had problems. I then went back out to the car and tried starting it up and it did the choking coughing thing again and all I did was reload the cal and restart the car and it worked fine (except where I lowered the idle too much from before). After that I drove the car across the parking lot to the shop so I could use the tools to actually swap the computers since the socketed one was just sitting where the battery usually is. The car sat there probably 5 min and when I went to start it again it did the same thing and reloading the cal and restarting fixed it again.

I am about to go out and try it again though.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Started doing it worse today, Looks like it does it if I start it with the USB unplugged. So moates says its either a ribbon cable or connector problem or it needs RMA'd

Hybrid booster

your using a chip converter right?

turbo addict

Yes one of robs chip converters. I just sent out the ostrich to get checked out. I guess if that turns out fine I guess there could be something wrong with the socketing.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Yes one of robs chip converters. I just sent out the ostrich to get checked out. I guess if that turns out fine I guess there could be something wrong with the socketing.
    Cool, i had all sorts of problems with my ostrich/sbec setup not too long ago. i was running one of quantum's converters and was going to try one of robs but this was before he had them made.

Long story short my ostrich was bad. sent it back to them and they sent me a new one. they never did say what was wrong with or include any paper work in the box.

Any who, if you are interested here is my 8 page CF. Might be of interest. http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47776

be sure to post up results and keep us in the loop

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by AzShadow View Post
    Cool, i had all sorts of problems with my ostrich/sbec setup not too long ago. i was running one of quantum's converters and was going to try one of robs but this was before he had them made.

Long story short my ostrich was bad. sent it back to them and they sent me a new one. they never did say what was wrong with or include any paper work in the box.

Any who, if you are interested here is my 8 page CF. Might be of interest. http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47776

be sure to post up results and keep us in the loop

I did find your thread when I was having problems but I only skimmed over. I see that your problems were exactly the same

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...85&postcount=7

thanks

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Weird they are having alot of issues. My 1st gen Ost failed on me, couldn't up or download my cals, and now, my 2nd gen Ost won't communicate with my laptops, I have to send it in.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

I blame it on RoHs solder that everyone is being forced into using. Flows like crap and hard as a rock, WE WANT OUR LEAD BACK! Not to sure about the 1gn ostrich though

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

i have problems with mine sometimes. its even came up as something totally different when plugging in (cant remember exactly what....but it was not ostrich lol) plugging it in and out a couple times seemed to fix things if it doesnt seem to want to connect for whatever reason.