Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Doing it right this time! BIG POWER

Re: Doing it right this time! BIG POWER

IPP. From my knowledge, everywhere else that sold them had dimensional issues. I brought this up on the phone, they confirmed that some sets out there were indeed 5.972" (unsure if they came from him). He took his last set and measured them at 5.945". They were still labeled as the latter. Great, fast service, and they will be here in 4-5 days.

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aerosmith145 View Post
    IPP. From my knowledge, everywhere else that sold them had dimensional issues. I brought this up on the phone, they confirmed that some sets out there were indeed 5.972" (unsure if they came from him). He took his last set and measured them at 5.945". They were still labeled as the latter. Great, fast service, and they will be here in 4-5 days.
    Just a heads up as I have two sets of those rods from IPP....both sets had the bearing retainer tangs on the wrong side. K1 fixed them no charge.

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

turbo addict

Uh oh...lol.

So...it sure is a nice day outside eh?

Okay seriously for a moment....

Make sure to double check those bearing tangs as Reeves eluded to. Both of our sets were ground incorrectly but K1's customer service was unbelieveable! Tom at K1 sent out a call tag to the machine shop to have them sent back. Tom at K1 also called the machine shop and spoke to the owner. By the time we figured out what was up we called the machine shop to tell them...but Tom had already talked to them and they were in process of sending them back before we could even say "uhhh....I think somethings wrong with the rods...and stuff". The rods were out, gone and back, then everything reassembled faster than I had even prepared for!

I'm sure knowing Tom he has corrected all inventory already...if yours are corrected when you get them thank Reeves and Croppers Machine Shop in KY.

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    Uh oh...lol.

So...it sure is a nice day outside eh?

Okay seriously for a moment....

Make sure to double check those bearing tangs as Reeves eluded to. Both of our sets were ground incorrectly but K1's customer service was unbelieveable! Tom at K1 sent out a call tag to the machine shop to have them sent back. Tom at K1 also called the machine shop and spoke to the owner. By the time we figured out what was up we called the machine shop to tell them...but Tom had already talked to them and they were in process of sending them back before we could even say "uhhh....I think somethings wrong with the rods...and stuff". The rods were out, gone and back, then everything reassembled faster than I had even prepared for!

I'm sure knowing Tom he has corrected all inventory already...if yours are corrected when you get them thank Reeves and Croppers Machine Shop in KY.
    I didn't read anything about inverted tangs before. Thank you guys for the heads up! Hopefully they're fixed by now!

turbo addict

I didn't read anything about inverted tangs before. Thank you guys for the heads up! Hopefully they're fixed by now!
    Yeah well...after the whole fiasco last year we decided some things were better off unsaid. I hope you enjoy the rods!...I know I will!

One more question. Do you give up the cylinder oiling holes when you switch over to these rods?

One more question. Do you give up the cylinder oiling holes when you switch over to these rods?
    Yes.

Most (if not all?) aftermarket rods DO NOT have that hole.

03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's

I wonder why. Maybe it's just too comprehensive of a job for them, or they're avoiding stress risers. I'm curious how negligible the effects are.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

are the k1's h beams or I beams?

h beams "scoop" up residual oil and sling it up i hear, making the hole less important.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

H beams. Good info about the scooping!

From what I've read, guys are running these rods in 800-1000 HP Grand Nationals. Even at 800 hp, that's 133 hp a hole. Pretty nice!

I think I'll be happy. I'm very impatiently awaiting their arrival.

UPDATE:

The tangs on my rods were indeed inverted. They informed me of this before they were shipped, and fixed them the same day. Sweet!

UPDATE:

The tangs on my rods were indeed inverted. They informed me of this before they were shipped, and fixed them the same day. Sweet!
    Excellent news!
    Who fixed them? IPP or K1?

03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    Excellent news!
    Who fixed them? IPP or K1?
    I ordered them from IPP on Friday, March 18th, and hadn't received them by this past Friday, so I called IPP and inquired. The lady told me K1 hadn't shipped them yet, but they were shipping today, so I called them to try and verify the tangs before they left out. I told them of my concern, and the engineer said (through the secretary) "the tangs do need to be fixed. That will happen today, and they'll be shipped this afternoon". I asked if this was a standing problem that needed to be addressed, and she said "I'm sure they'll fix the issue for future orders".

I'm really happy they're fixing the rods, but I think they should at LEAST change the part number to a xx5945xxx number from xx5972xxx. It's just dang confusing and incorrect!

I ordered them from IPP on Friday, March 18th, and hadn't received them by this past Friday, so I called IPP and inquired. The lady told me K1 hadn't shipped them yet, but they were shipping today, so I called them to try and verify the tangs before they left out. I told them of my concern, and the engineer said (through the secretary) "the tangs do need to be fixed. That will happen today, and they'll be shipped this afternoon". I asked if this was a standing problem that needed to be addressed, and she said "I'm sure they'll fix the issue for future orders".

I'm really happy they're fixing the rods, but I think they should at LEAST change the part number to a xx5945xxx number from xx5972xxx. It's just dang confusing and incorrect!

Right!
    Depending on where you order them, you get .027" too long with the right tangs, or you get the correct length with the tangs 180* opposite!
    Maybe one day they'll all be correct ??

At least the tangs can be corrected........

03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Have you completely figured out the Avenger style cylinder head setup? Is it exactly the same as retrofitting any other 2.4 head on the 8v block?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Have you completely figured out the Avenger style cylinder head setup? Is it exactly the same as retrofitting any other 2.4 head on the 8v block?
    From what I can tell. Only things that appear different are:

A: Head gasket choice because of inverted water passage location. Seems the best bet is to choose the gasket layout that goes with your head. DON'T QUOTE ME.
    B: Exhaust valve sizes are larger than SRT-4. 1.200" vs. 1.120" (30.45 mm vs. 28.45 mm).
    C: Cams aren't interchangeable, obviously.
    D: Much more work in fitment on the front side. Turbo vs. dizzy (although a fix is available)/oil filter/radiator/radiator.. Downpipe/exhaust VS. EVERYTHING, etc.

For me, the start from scratch aspect is appealing. But I work in a CNC/fab shop. I may end up mounting the turbo off a tubular header up front inside/behind the bumper. It may be more of a pain for people in different situations.

If you go this route, I wish you the best of luck, and hope to learn a couple things from your venture as well!

About my current progress, I now have a set of Wiseco 2.2 16V pistons and K1 rods as a starting point. I made a 1.5" 6061 torque plate on the waterjet, and should be decking and honing next week. I'll keep everyone updated!
    Last edited by Aerosmith145; 04-07-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: stuff

turbo addict

Pics of the torque plate?

1.25" 6061 plate

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2525.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	328.7 KB 
ID:	30854

Had a brief influence to go full 2.4 because of manufacturer incompetence, but I'm back in hybrid mode and ready to get this thing rocking... Once I get some more money.

turbo addict

I gotta say that plate might even be nicer than the MOPAR one I own!