turbo addict

Re: Garrett Turbos Being Made In Mexico & China

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    That's because she's too busy making those tiny turbo keychains
    The funniest thing ever

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    The Rape of Nanking is horrifying. And I believe the Japenese to this day don't admit to these and other civilian rapes and murders.

They acknowledged some "things" happened there but never have publicly apologized for it.
    No doubt, they were vicious, more so than the Germans... That we let them skate is itself a crime... I sure hope that info we gained was worth all the blood it cost! And the repression of all their crimes is almost as bad as holocaust deniers...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

For all of you who don't know, I'm 1/4 Chinese and I'm married to a 100% Chinese gal and our kids are 62.5 % Chinese. Those of you at this years SDAC probably saw them hanging out at our car show tent.

For the record I'm not offended when people piss on Chinese quality for certain products. But for all you Chinese bashers I would like to say eat "Da Bien". You'll have to ask your Chinese friends what that means.

As for this presigious award just bestowed upon me by Cordes, I'd like my to have my sister-in-law say a few words. And no she doesn't work at the Garrett factory in China.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vn_yAtPhQ8
    Pics of your wife?

That vid cracked me up.

Quote Originally Posted by trannybuster View Post
    Ive always wanted to ask why is it when I see a person that decent..ie Chinese,Japanese etc... 99% percent of the time they drive the imports, nearly none of them drive domestic? I find it hard to believe its ALL because of quality, is it loyalty, or something the goverment teaches early in childhood? Think Im crazy have a good look, this isnt paranoia its fact!
    I had a Korean doctor and he use to tell me how he wouldnt let his kids buy the Toyotas or Nissans etc..so I got to believe there is a agenda there. BTW we had never talked about MY job or my vehicle preference, so he had no clue what I did for a living.
    Nice vid..BTW...
    I gotta agree, we have town called Richmond, which is basically little Asia and 99% of the cars are imports?????
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Really? We got half of 'em kinda hooked on Chryslers round here... mostly the minis.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior222 View Post
    Really? We got half of 'em kinda hooked on Chryslers round here... mostly the minis.
    lol everyone of them at my work drive a camry

turbo addict

Clint, this story is actually quite old. I was referring to Garrets not being made in the US when I suggested Warren go with a Precision in one of his recent threads.

I had read a few skeptics of this story, at least as far as the employee sounding more like PR for other companies.

But as far as the turbos go,
    Garrett has their new line of GTXR turbos. Garrett says they are built for performance, but the compressor wheel is actually designed to be quieter, and any flow/power gains are because they finally went with a real optimized billet wheel (not a billet version of a cast wheel so they can fraudulently claim billet is not a gain). They had to go real billet because NOBODY is buying their crap the last 3 years unless they are out of the loop or had a corporate contract.

There are SMALL nobody companies here in the US that have absolutely raped Garret for compressor wheel performance by just trying to make a better product, not a higher profit margin.

Don't buy a GTXR when everyone else has been making superior billet wheels for 3 years now.

That Billet 6262 that can make 700+whp...1000 dollars. Precision is also more closely working with Turbonetics these days.

Garrett is now copying compressor wheel designs (extended exducer tips) that Bord Warner was doing 5 years ago.

Even with the New GTXR4294 that fits SFWD racing, people are buying the turbo and replacing he compressor setup with a 72mm precision wheel. Garret is so out of touch they don't bother to make the correct compressor wheel inducer diameter to meet racing rules even though it is a "new" design. Then on top of that, when you make your crap in china, you can't be as aggressive on the compressor wheel design.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

A few of us here have half Asian kids, and 100% Asian wives. Asians buy Japanese cars, not "Asian" cars. Filipinos hate Japanese. I mean HATE the "japs," since the Japanese murdered thousands of their people for no reason but racial superiority BS. They still drive Japanese cars because they know the Japanese make things better then anyone else in Asia. I could care less if some things that nobody needs are made in China and sold at Walmart. I don't think we need to waste our resources making junk products. When it comes to precision components, the Chinese just can't do it. Their government can't even get a missile to fly in 2010 but we were on the moon in 1969.
    They copy our good products, do a bad job, and we ignore it thinking that somehow a shiny looking product must be better then what we had before.

China is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to production. Lowest wages = worst product. Anyone who thinks someone in a sweatshop cares about their product or takes pride in their job is out of their "non racist" mind. It has nothing to do with someones nationality. If you are racially offended that Chinese production quality is a fraud, get off the crack pipe.

My wife once worked as a teenager in a Japanese sweatshop that they built in Subic Bay Philippines making one tiny chip for a motherboard. Nobody there had any idea what they were doing, or the purpose of the product they were making. That is a Japanese run sweatshop. A shop setup by Chinese is bound to be much much much worse.
    I have no delusions that Chinese quality is good. Hard to improve upon melting down US and Japanese quality cookware and recasting it as your own falling apart crap so you can pretend to be proud of your country Mr Chairman.

I lived with someone who worked for a large European car brand modifier (trying to keep that vague) that moves hundreds of thousands of dollars in Chinese products that they contract to be produced. My roommate would copy things (often other peoples products with a few twists) into CAD and they would ship the designs to their preferred builders in China. Then say "assembled in the USA" when sold.
    My roommate had no qualms about saying the product was crap compared to things produced in the US, but the market was already cornered on quality, so they needed to find their market share with cheap prices, for those who can't afford the big bucks.

Now, building amazing products in China and charging Domestic production prices, that is a load no diaper could hold.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 11-01-2010 at 11:00 AM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

And the number one reason why you know Chinese products are crap, is that on many of their fraudulent products, they make sure to inscribe that it is made in the USA. If they made something worth bragging about, they would not have to pretend to be someone else. If people knew they produced an amazing product at an amazing price, their economy would soar like no one has ever seen.

turbo addict

I woudn't say China can't make a good product, it just doesn't, when it all comes down to cheapness, they just ship whatever they can get those dumbass roundeyes to put up with.

For example 20 odd years ago, I bought a Chinese pocket knife, great knife, takes an edge very well. Used it as a screwdriver and prybar, didn't break. I also have a couple of chinese wrenches going on that old that have held up very well. Had a chinese socket set that did me a good number of years... HOWEVER, I haven't seen anything else that quality in the last 10 years.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Pics of your wife?
    If I close my eyes real hard this is what I come up with:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hotasiangirls.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	26470  

subscribed!!!! :-)

turbo addict

Lol!!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

You win.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior222 View Post
    I woudn't say China can't make a good product, it just doesn't, when it all comes down to cheapness, they just ship whatever they can get those dumbass roundeyes to put up with.

For example 20 odd years ago, I bought a Chinese pocket knife, great knife, takes an edge very well. Used it as a screwdriver and prybar, didn't break. I also have a couple of chinese wrenches going on that old that have held up very well. Had a chinese socket set that did me a good number of years... HOWEVER, I haven't seen anything else that quality in the last 10 years.
    Well asking for precision at the cheapest possible price means some corners are being cut.

I know some mechanics who still like some Harbor Freight tools that seem to not break when domestics do. Not many corners to cut there. They're turning kids into slaves just to make cheaper sneakers, but whats the real cost because those sneakers just don't see that much cheaper. What are your overheads?
    Yes it gives those people jobs, but who is getting the executive bonus for the markup?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

This should make the older American made Garretts hold value better, even rebuilt. It's kind of like the difference between a German made Walther pistol and an American made Walther pistol. The American made is worth less because the German made is known to be of better quality.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

turbo addict

Funnily enough, that 20 year old Chinese knife came to the rescue again the other day. I was bending up a pick set trying to get a cam seal out. Then I went hunting for something else, saw the knife, pulled out the can opener, perfect, went back to the motor, one hook and a twist and it came straight out.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Damn, you found my wife,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345