Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Garrett Turbos Being Made In Mexico & China

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Garrett Turbos Being Made In Mexico & China

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    If you don't like products made in Mexico or China then don't buy them. It's all about the mighty dollar and greed. Once we stop caring about money then we'll stop supporting these countries. But since we're so caught up on trying to accumulate everything in the world for free this trend will continue.
    The wealthiest of the wealthy give most of their money away to help with the worlds fight for survival.

You don't need money for world dominance, just brilliance.
    I've got to hand it to you. You're the first person I've ever heard use the "greed" argument and then tout the generosity of the top .01%. I'm not sure if I should award style points or points based solely off of originality.

Either way I would like to hear more about your philosophy. Seriously.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

The wealthiest of the wealthy give most of their money away to help with the worlds fight for survival.

You don't need money for world dominance, just brilliance.
    Really, can you prove that?

You need money to fund your world dominance and to fund whatever schemes you come up with.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Really, can you prove that?

You need money to fund your world dominance and to fund whatever schemes you come up with.
    He is right. The wealthiest folks on earth contribute amazingly high percentages of their income to charities.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    He is right. The wealthiest folks on earth contribute amazingly high percentages of their income to charities.
    Interesting, I guess when you have billions, a few million here and there won't even dent the bank account.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Interesting, I guess when you have billions, a few million here and there won't even dent the bank account.
    No, they make huge dents in their bank accounts. If you look at most any ultra wealthy person throughout the last 100 or so years they are called greedy etc., etc. throughout most of their life. When they are older they pursue their charitable path and donate a vast amount of their fortune. Granted, they still live very comfortably, but we certainly aren't talking about a couple mill from a billionaire either.

No, they make huge dents in their bank accounts. If you look at most any ultra wealthy person throughout the last 100 or so years they are called greedy etc., etc. throughout most of their life. When they are older they pursue their charitable path and donate a vast amount of their fortune. Granted, they still live very comfortably, but we certainly aren't talking about a couple mill from a billionaire either.
    So who gets this money, I've honestly never heard of it, except for Gates.

All sorts of things benefit from it. A colossal amount of libraries were built here in the states with money from Carnegie IIRC. I believe our library here in town was build through a Carnegie grant. Without him many areas wouldn't have them. This is probably one of the places which wouldn't have had a library for another 40 years without him.

That's just one example. The list is probably endless.

Hybrid booster

Well as of Jan 2011 all your turbos will be made in Mexico or china or Czech Republic. This is the last Garrett facility in the United States.
    wow, i didn't know czech republic was in the states :P
    interesting read though, never heard about these moves honeywell has and is been doing.

turbo addict

Johhny Carson did that with many things here in Nebraska. Warren Buffet has things arranged so only a sliver of his estate goes to family, the rest is for charities. Bill Smith, founder/owner of Speedway Motors also donates quite a bit to charities in the area.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Honestly, i thought the writing was above average for the internet so ive got no complaints with his grammar.. picking my battles you know.

It's no surprise that everything is moving to other countries. It's the natural, predictable culmination of some very obvious factors that are intrinsic to the 'american way' and capitalism.

I'm not going to be guilted into buying an American car just to save the job of somebody in a Socialst labor union.
    Neither will i.. but it's not really the union's faults. The unions, at WORST, are only trying to do for themselves what business is doing.. more for less. The capitalist mantra! Getting more pay for the same or less work is increasing efficiency, you know. For the worker. Business principles FTW! Seriously, though, unions are not evil for doing to the companies what the companies do to the unions. It takes two to tango and i think you'll find that in labor markets that HAVENT been abused and exploited terribly, there's not going to be the huge unions like what you'd find in a steel mill. Unions are a RESPONSE to injustice, not the originator.

Now SOME unions do manage to get their people paid way too much for what they do, but imo the largest issue with unions driving up costs is the cost of health care, which unions have no control over. The cost of health care is a national issue that needs to be addressed and just happens to get put the focus on unions because they're practically the only places where you still find good benefits, outside of government work, and nobody points at the government and says 'hey quit wasting money on my cushy job!' because there are a LOOOOOOT more people on the take from those jobs all over the country, then there are people in WELL PAID union jobs.

Free market principles, lol, wow your outta touch. Ive worked manufacturing for almost 20yrs straight, and I still am, but youve got no clue what were up against or just havent taken the time to research it.
    Free market principles are working, giving to those who have. I dont know why people dont see this. The unfettered market has taken us EXACTLY to where we are right now. Im not disagreeing with you either trannybuster, just jumping off what you said.

Hey, if the car companies don't survive, it's their own fault.
    That's basically true but what do we do about the problem of too big to fail? If you dont want the government stepping in to prop up the income source of 50,000 people (or whatever), then the alternative is basically to regulate business behavior or mandate policies which create safety nets for people. Which im all for. Im all for the government letting companies fail *IF* the government also mandates that severance packages, pension funds, benefits as mentioned in the OP's story, to be OFF-LIMITS or otherwise the first thing paid out in a bankruptcy court. The reason the automakers werent left to fall is because of how incredibly F'd up it would have been for all the thousands working at the bottom. Gotta say, wish the fed had done more for my parents when they got ----ed out of half a mil by Worldcom, and having seen what happens over the ensuing decade to people like them, im glad it was largely averted for all those people at GM.

Wishing for companies to be the way they were "When they really cared about the American People" is a pipe dream.
    Aint that the truth. Corporatist motivations have never changed.. only the face that's allowed to be seen has become more brazen as we the public have gradually been trained to bend over for anything 'pro-business' 'pro-growth' 'free enterprise' etc.

hencho en Mexico, turbine blades for numerous apu fighter jet and helicopter engines hencho en Mexico, internal engine components for the T-55 engine for the CH-47 hencho en Mexico.
    Hecho my good sir, hecho..

Its more than money, you'd have to spend 100's/1000's of hours researching to find what products are made where,
    Totally.. same as voting, really. We as uninformed US citizens never take the time to figure out what we're actually voting for, and in large measure we have voted our way into the present predicament by being some pretty lame citizens.

Not most.

Give GOP a swing at the tax code and most of that 'generosity' will dry up overnight.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post

That's basically true but what do we do about the problem of too big to fail? If you dont want the government stepping in to prop up the income source of 50,000 people (or whatever), then the alternative is basically to regulate business behavior or mandate policies which create safety nets for people. Which im all for. Im all for the government letting companies fail *IF* the government also mandates that severance packages, pension funds, benefits as mentioned in the OP's story, to be OFF-LIMITS or otherwise the first thing paid out in a bankruptcy court. The reason the automakers werent left to fall is because of how incredibly F'd up it would have been for all the thousands working at the bottom.
    Nope. No such thing as too big to fail. They should just fail. Fall apart. Crumble. Be swept away to make room for somebody with better ideas, better products, and better workers.

What will it do to the economy? Probably cripple it. But we start over and become stronger over time.

People are too afraid of hard times. Everybody needs government protection. God forbid there be some risk in life.

People should be taking the personal responsibility to pay their own health insurance, plan their own retirements etc. It's not the goverment's job.

If there were more individiuals shopping for their own health plan, with less government control and regulation, prices would be much much lower.

Give GOP a swing at the tax code and most of that 'generosity' will dry up overnight.
    BS. Studies have shown that Republicans and conservatives give way more to charities that libs. Why? Because conservatives beleive there is a place for charity in the home. To care for one another and help each other. Libs beleive it is the government's job to help and protect everybody. Yeah.. what a great job they are doing.
    Last edited by contraption22; 10-28-2010 at 04:15 PM.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

The top .1% donate way too much money to charity to chalk it up to a write off.

turbo addict

While one lot is buying condoms for AIDS prevention though, the other lot is sending missionaries to tell them contraception is wrong.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Nope. No such thing as too big to fail. They should just fail. Fall apart. Crumble. Be swept away to make room for somebody with better ideas, better products, and better workers.

What will it do to the economy? Probably cripple it. But we start over and become stronger over time.
    Hey, if you think you'll never be tool old or overqualified to stand back up from a fall, then by all means keep thinking that the market is going to take care of you if you just 'try hard'.

And if you want to elect a government that will let that happen.. well.. you pretty much dont have the option to. Look at all the ---- Obama is taking for things he didnt do or cant do anything about regarding the economy. Letting so many workers/voters take the fall for management decisions they had little control over is a guaranteed ticket straight out office.

People are too afraid of hard times. Everybody needs government protection. God forbid there be some risk in life.
    I think an equal argument is there to be made that people feel far too safe from the prospect of hard times. Do you think your marriage would fail (assuming you are married here) if you lost your income? Maybe not after a year of unemployment/underemployment? Try 10? And do you consider that in the end that failure wouldnt even really be about money? Ive watched people lose a lot more than money after things spider out from the original hit, like a crack in glass. Ease, ease that comes from stability, covers up a lot of problems in our minds, our families, our society. It's not just about being poor if you lose your job for a while.

People should be taking the personal responsibility to pay their own health insurance, plan their own retirements etc. It's not the goverment's job.
    For a lot of people the health care thing is simply not possible. A vast majority of this country recognizes and acknowledges that problem. If you dont, have a good time on the fringe.

If there were more individiuals shopping for their own health plan, with less government control and regulation, prices would be much much lower.
    Whose pamphlet did you read that out of? Humana? Aetna? WellPoint?

The top .1% donate way too much money to charity to chalk it up to a write off.
    The combination of the tiny .1% number and the vagueness of the 'charity' moniker dont impart a whole lot of meaning to this statement.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

I've got to hand it to you. You're the first person I've ever heard use the "greed" argument and then tout the generosity of the top .01%. I'm not sure if I should award style points or points based solely off of originality.

I'll bite:

I've had the opportunity to get to know 6 billionaires, mostly from being a golf professional. 4 of them are self made and 2 inherited. The self-made didn't plan on becoming billionaires, they were brilliant at what they did and the money just came. The blue bloods of the group (inherited) new they were going to be wealthy. One is now 78 years old and works 10 hour days at the office despite his massive fortune. The other does enjoy him time off but is entrenched in philanthropic endeavors.

Speaking in general terms:

Most of the real wealthy, the wealthies of the wealthy are not causing the problems in our world. They are trying to solve them.

Some greed in society comes from wanna be's. Kids who grew up relatively middle class and now calling the shots for big capital corportations (Tyco, Enron to name a few) or working with money (Wall Street, Hedge Funds, etc...) doing an immense amount of damage to this economy and other economies accrossed the World.

Selling AAA rated mortgage backed securities to any country that would buy them, knowing they were worthless. They wanna be rich, they wanna drive the best cars, live in the best neighborhoods, they want to have what they never had growing up. Always trying to prove something and unfortunately are in the position where they sacrifice long term organizational health for personal and company short term gains.

Golden Parachutes are insane. Hot shot CEO comes in, sacrifices long term health for short term gains, gets a new big contract, sacrifices start catching up to them, time for the hot shot CEO to bail, they bail get millions from their golden parachute and leave the ruined company in their wake. I've this scenerio played over and over again. But that's a story for another day.

The real money in our society doesn't have to prove anything. They are the "Jones'" and the wanna be's are trying to keep up with them. They understand the long term ramifications their actions cause and no longer have to focus on short term wealth building. They are past that stage, heck their money market accounts / investments are probably earning well over 1 million dollars a day.

Now I'm sure the evil billionaire is out there somewhere wanted to dominate the world for his / her own personal gains but they are vastly outnumbered.

Check this out:

http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines...ionaires-club/
    Last edited by 168glhs1986; 10-28-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Let me know when people stop caring about money. It's the last piece of the puzzle in my quest for world domination.
    So you finally collected enough underpants?

Cool...what do you have the Gnomes doing now?

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Again you come up short of truly understanding the issues.We lost a job to India becasue of price. Would you say we werent as good or we were over paid? Im sure you would with such a narrow view. So on both accounts would be wrong, they were able to buy the steel, make the part, ship across seas CHEAPER than we could even buy the steel. Wonder how that happens!

Until the true problems are fixed it will be a LONG time.

People are too afraid of hard times. Everybody needs government protection. God forbid there be some risk in life..
    I couldnt agree more!

Once again I agree. I hear alot of GM retiree's crying about their retirement. My dad did it the old fashoned way, worked hard, saved his money, no one did it for him and he has no money issues at all.

Im not in complete agreement, Health care is following the tracks of old big buisness ideology. The guy sweeping the floors makes 20.00 hour, seem like an old story you heard about Union worker??

BS. Studies have shown that Republicans and conservatives give way more to charities that libs. Why? Because conservatives beleive their is a place for charity in the home. To care for one another and help each other. Libs beleive it is the government's job to help and protect everybody. Yeah.. what a great job they are doing.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by trannybuster View Post

Once again I agree. I hear alot of GM retiree's crying about their retirement. My dad did it the old fashoned way, worked hard, saved his money, no one did it for him and he has no money issues at all.
    I agree to disagree. So you work for company X, they offer a wicked pension plan so you do the math and realize that the money they will be getting is enough to retire on. So if your like most, you simply work and wait for that money, and in the mean time, you live a good life, maybe not saving anything else. Is that wrong, yes and no, yes because your getting that money, no because shitt can go wrong and you could lose it all.

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986

I'll bite:

I've had the opportunity to get to know 6 billionaires, mostly from being a golf professional. 4 of them are self made and 2 inherited. The self-made didn't plan on becoming billionaires, they were brilliant at what they did and the money just came. The blue bloods of the group (inherited) new they were going to be wealthy. One is now 78 years old and works 10 hour days at the office despite his massive fortune. The other does enjoy him time off but is entrenched in philanthropic endeavors.

Most of the real wealthy, the wealthies of the wealthy are not causing the problems in our world. They are trying to solve them.

Some greed in society comes from wanna be's. Kids who grew up relatively middle class and now calling the shots for big capital corportations (Tyco, Enron to name a few) or working with money (Wall Street, Hedge Funds, etc...) doing an immense amount of damage to this economy and other economies accrossed the World.

Selling AAA rated mortgage backed securities to any country that would buy them, knowing they were worthless. They wanna be rich, they wanna drive the best cars, live in the best neighborhoods, they want to have what they never had growing up. Always trying to prove something and unfortunately are in the position where they sacrifice long term organizational health for personal and company short term gains.

Golden Parachutes are insane. Hot shot CEO comes in, sacrifices long term health for short term gains, gets a new big contract, sacrifices start catching up to them, time for the hot shot CEO to bail, they bail get millions from their golden parachute and leave the ruined company in their wake. I've this scenerio played over and over again. But that's a story for another day.

The real money in our society doesn't have to prove anything. They are the "Jones'" and the wanna be's are trying to keep up with them. They understand the long term ramifications their actions cause and no longer have to focus on short term wealth building. They are past that stage, heck their money market accounts / investments are probably earning well over 1 million dollars a day.

Now I'm sure the evil billionaire is out there somewhere wanted to dominate the world for his / her own personal gains but they are vastly outnumbered.

Check this out:

Very interesting, thanks.

I'll bite:

Check this out:

I've seen that billionaire's deal. Good for them.

Thanks for clarifying what you meant by greed.

You get the Conan The Barbarian award for your definition of greed by the way. Nicely done. I knew it must have been good due to the two arguments you played together. I tend to shy away from using greed in conversation these days, as I don't care for the current connotation which goes with it and the misunderstandings that can occur as a result.

Here's your prize.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

Hecho my good sir, hecho..

You know I googled it and found it both ways, so I just went with the version I saw most recently here in SLC.

Good to know what the correct spelling is, Thanks!

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net
    92 Spirit R/T
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-T TIII
    87 CSX
    87 Shelby Lancer
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram Diesel
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast