Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Garrett Turbos Being Made In Mexico & China

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Garrett Turbos Being Made In Mexico & China

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    So we should drive Subaru, Hyundai, Honda and Nissan?

Ford = Canada
    GM = Canada
    Chrysler = Mexico and Canada

Hyundai = Huntsville, AL
    Nissan = Canton, MS
    Honda = Greensburg, IN
    Subaru = Lafayette, IN
    Not to take away from anyone but Toyota and Honda atleast also have stuff coming from north and south of the border.

But still kinda sad when the truth comes out isnt it ? Especially when those darn imports in many cases have a HIGHER domestic parts content than those 'domestic' cars do...

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Nope. Real Americans choose to drive whatever they want.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trannybuster View Post
    When its a fight for survival your countrymen need you, its not always whatever makes you feel good, or 'what I want' like a little child. Being American means supporting those in your own house! Im not talking about charity! Next time your out on the road open your eyes, then comment back, but of course I doubt you'll even notice becasue if you havent by now you never will.
    If somebody chooses to drive a vehicle for the reasons you stated above... fine, great.

Somebody else might choose to drive a Korean-built car because that is what they can afford.

Or a European car because of it's looks and feel.

Or a Japanese make because they don't want the car they paid $25k for to be worth $9K in 3 years.

Or any brand they want for whatever reason they want.

I want America to survive ON IT"S OWN FREE MARKET PRINCIPLES!!! If American car companies want Americans to buy cars, they should build cars Americans want.

I'm not going to be guilted into buying an American car just to save the job of somebody in a Socialst labor union.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

If somebody chooses to drive a vehicle for the reasons you stated above... fine, great.

Somebody else might choose to drive a Korean-built car because that is what they can afford.

Or a Japanese make because they don't want the car they paid $25k for to be worth $9K in 3 years.

I want America to survive ON IT"S OWN FREE MARKET PRINCIPLES!!! If American car companies want Americans to buy cars, they should build cars Americans want.

I'm not going to be guilted into buying an American car just to save the job of somebody in a Socialst labor union.
    Yeah, well good luck,that mentality has served us well lately hasnt it. Free market principles, lol, wow your outta touch. Ive worked manufacturing for almost 20yrs straight, and I still am, but youve got no clue what were up against or just havent taken the time to research it.

Yeah, well good luck,that mentality has served us well lately hasnt it.
    Hey, if the car companies don't survive, it's their own fault.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hey, if the car companies don't survive, it's their own fault.
    Of course it is....'sarcasm btw'

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I think it was Samuel Gompers who said "The only failure of a Captain of Industry is to fail to show a profit."

If the US Auto industry continually fails to meet the wants of it's market, then they should be allowed to go under. The loss of jobs sucks, yeah, but corporate welfare, (along with a LONG list of other govt funded fiascos) is one of the biggest reasons we're in the mess we're in. Wishing for companies to be the way they were "When they really cared about the American People" is a pipe dream. If the Auto industry wants to stay healthy and continue to produce cars, and employ Americans, then they need to answer to the customer base...alienate your customers and they WILL go elsewhere.

Just ask Apple Computer back around 1985. Better product, more functionality, better software.

Who has the lion's share of the Market, then and now? Microsoft. Bill G. answered to the wants of his customer base, and beat out a better product, cornering the market with a buggy, unstable OS.
    Last edited by Twizter68; 10-27-2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: add info

So who would you blame?
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Yay! Mike! Ditto that.

The true failure in Detroit was in the executive suite. Those guys sold out the future for present security and comfort. They made deals with politicians. They "kicked the can down the road" for their successors to deal with. Generations of CEOs made peace with labor by selling out the companies' future.

The "rank and file" did the same thing with an attitude of "gimme mine now, screw the future" while their leadership dreamed of a majority equity stake and control of the whole enterprise.

It was, and is, unethical, immoral. They all lacked an ethic that demanded husbandry of a great national asset.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

Have you noticed though. That group buys on special parts require something of an "in" with a manufacturer or machine shop. Yes with us cheapskates it's hard to get quantities up for "serious" production, but look at some other forums with group buys in the 100s of units and you find the same thing... it gets made because someone knows someone somewhere or someone on the forum has the business or setup to do it.

Now, what I've seen happen when no-one knows anyone in an appropriate place of business, and this is with people willing to spend real money, and a design has been worked up, prototyped, tested, and all that's needed is production of several hundred units, there might even be a solid pre-order list... the guy organising it pulls out the trade directories and starts phoning... nobody wants the business... or there's a couple of firms that claim they do but seem to quote "piss off" prices of thousands a unit.... the deal is going nowhere fast... anyway out of desperation they might go putting feelers out to some Chinese manufacturers... which in about 2-3 months has resulted in product in hand at $100 a piece or so, with little cash up front.

So it seems to me that trying to get stuff made in the US is an exercise in which to me is probably a good chunk of the reason why a lot of stuff isn't any more.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

That Garrett post has been floating around the intrawebs for years.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Stop buying things that are made in China.
    Damn near impossible, alot of products are made over there by local companies.

Maybe its time to stop overtaxing everyone and keep everything local and unions and company's bigwigs take a step back.

You guys think you have it bad, we get hosed on gas, food, supplies etc. Example, I need a fuel pump, I can buy it from the US, ship it here for usually 50% of the cost if I buy local, so retail is like 2-3 times what you can buy it for in the US. This is on alot of products,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    That makes no sense. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question. If you're after a definition of exploitation might I suggest a dictionary?

Wanted to ask you this though ... what experience(s) do you have in the collective bargaining process as it relates to any given union? Done much of that over the years? Enough to know how much the government has to do with it exactly? ... didn't think so.

If nothing else the .gov has done little to nothing when it comes to sustaining healthy job/wage growth .. for awhile. The elected officials here have done zip to curb/cap the dumping of foreign products, in obvious attempts to pacify particular industries and the governments of the those new HQ's to which we owe tons of cash. They have used tax dollars to put taxpaying citizens out of work. Your money working against you.

Again ... just my perspective.
    You must have misunderstood. Either that or your are the worst person in the world when it comes to dodging questions. I am not looking for a dictionary definition of exploitation. I'm looking for you to explain your statements regarding foreign workers being exploited.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

Sad thing here is, DoD parts and materials coming from offshore. Specific to H-Well and GE the AGT1500 Abrams tank engine, turbine blades and other materials hencho en Mexico, turbine blades for numerous apu fighter jet and helicopter engines hencho en Mexico, internal engine components for the T-55 engine for the CH-47 hencho en Mexico. These are H-well and GE examples, but the list is long and is really disappointing that our own military can't enforce the buy america clauses in their own contracts.

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net
    92 Spirit R/T
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-T TIII
    87 CSX
    87 Shelby Lancer
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram Diesel
    69 Dart GT 'Vert
    Last edited by DOHCRT; 10-27-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Omission

^^ That is sad,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

If you don't like products made in Mexico or China then don't buy them. It's all about the mighty dollar and greed. Once we stop caring about money then we'll stop supporting these countries. But since we're so caught up on trying to accumulate everything in the world for free this trend will continue.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    If you don't like products made in Mexico or China then don't buy them. It's all about the mighty dollar and greed. Once we stop caring about money then we'll stop supporting these countries. But since we're so caught up on trying to accumulate everything in the world for free this trend will continue.
    Let me know when people stop caring about money. It's the last piece of the puzzle in my quest for world domination.

If you don't like products made in Mexico or China then don't buy them. .
    Try that, let me know how far you get.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Try that, let me know how far you get.
    Oh, you can do it but you better have plenty of reserve in the bank. If you want made in America, it's gonna cost ya.

It's just like eating healthy. If I had the budget, do you think I'd order from the dollar menu at Mcdonald's everyday? I'd be ordering broiled Maryland crab cakes and eating the finest steaks available (made in usa of course).

Oh, you can do it but you better have plenty of reserve in the bank. If you want made in America, it's gonna cost ya.

It's just like eating healthy. If I had the budget, do you think I'd order from the dollar menu at Mcdonald's everyday? I'd be ordering broiled Maryland crab cakes and eating the finest steaks available (made in usa of course).
    Its more than money, you'd have to spend 100's/1000's of hours researching to find what products are made where, some are partially made in different county's.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Let me know when people stop caring about money. It's the last piece of the puzzle in my quest for world domination.
    The wealthiest of the wealthy give most of their money away to help with the worlds fight for survival.

You don't need money for world dominance, just brilliance.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast