Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S60 log turbo?

turbo addict

S60 log turbo?

anyone ever put a S60 on a log and used the factory style compressor housing? (bolt on elbow type)
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

Hybrid booster

Re: S60 log turbo?

yep, my car has a turbo+ unit on it. larger compressor wheel and hole in housing,stock turbine wheel and .48 exhaust housing, worked well, very well infact 20+lbs of boost for years with the at the time mods for getting higher boost.

turbo addict

have any pics?
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

Hybrid booster

no i dont, my car is sitting at a friend's parents house, has been for the last 14 years. my intentions are to get it out of mothballs once i finish with my son's glhs, then i am pulling the motor for a re freshening,go over the turbo and replace the 525 with a 555, then i am putting it back the way it is, top mount cooler and all, i wanna see just how fast i can make it run with the only real upgrade being a heavier duty trans, then after it comes unglued(if it does) i will start a new build with more modern stuff and see where that takes me and the car.

turbo addict

you'd have to machine the compressor housing for it but is doable. Of course you're really hampering it with the small TB and that no-flow elbow. Turbo's like lots of low pressure air to feed them.

turbo addict

Yes I currently have one on my 85 GLHT. It is intercooled with a Spearco kit.
    I also fabricated a mandrel bent elbow to replace the horrible 90 degree elbow. Did this at least 15 years ago. I had that same elbow on a stock turbo prior to the S-60 comp wheel. It works better with a larger 46mm TB instead of the stock 42.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1985 pull through inlet.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	219.8 KB 
ID:	27108  

Hybrid booster

id like to see pics of it too. ive got a 84 omni i dropped a 86 t1 in with the good old log. thinking about going with the spearco side mount ic. all ready have the 46 mm tb and ported elbow.

turbo addict

was the 46 mm on the daytonas? i need that turbo bad!!!!!!!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I dont think the 46mm tb was stock on anything.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I dont think the 46mm tb was stock on anything.
    Correct, it was a bored out 42mm. First by LRE & FM way back in the day. I think Keito can set you up. At least he used to have them made up.
    Todd

turbo addict

so how do i get ahold of a 46mm or pics of one?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

Here is a pic pf the FM one next to a stock one

Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Cool tech pic need a TB size pic article in the KC!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

I remember somebody posted a picture of a TI engine, with a T04E 50 trim hybrid, with the T/B mounted right in front of the inlet of the turbo here. Of course I can't find the post.

^ Well if there's one way to make me laugh, that setup is it.

But hey, i guess that people trying to cram more air through the log isnt much different from 90% of the diesel modders in the world whose intake side flows like ---- and they keep bolting on more boost to fix it.

turbo addict

Warren did that.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Warren did that.
    And if memory serves, he went 11's with it in a G-body. (gotta be carefull who you choose to laugh at!)

One thing you'll notice in this hobby, when someone who generally doesn't know what there doing decides to try something unorthadox, it generally ends in total failure.

Now when someone who has a good grasp on things decides to do the same, they end up with better results than most that are "supposedly" doing it right!

It's all lost to most of us in the detail of how it was put together in the first place. That's why you have to be carefull with generalized statements of what works and what doesn't.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Warren did that.
    Thanks for the info....?

And if memory serves, he went 11's with it in a G-body. (gotta be carefull who you choose to laugh at
    Diesel trucks go faster than that all the time. Why do i have to be careful again? Im sure, based on the work Warren is doing with his car now (look at his current intake) that he didnt do that to prove that the log isnt a POS (which it still is even while trapping 115+, etc), but to prove something to himself, or to prove it was possible to the kind of people who like to say that things arent possible (id give you an example but i dont keep track of those people).

So I'm still laughing. Its a funny thought. Just because its funny doesnt mean it's dumb. Using a log mani to run 11s is like running a marathon on a pogo stick. Just because im laughing doesnt mean i dont think its impressive.

One thing you'll notice in this hobby, when someone who generally doesn't know what there doing decides to try something unorthadox, it generally ends in total failure.

Now when someone who has a good grasp on things decides to do the same, they end up with better results than most that are "supposedly" doing it right!
    I agree with you there. Im one of the people who recognizes that a lot of the 'common wisdom' and ideas about what 'isnt possible' floated here (but mostly on the other site) are simply the amassed experience of people who are doing it wrong.

That's why you have to be carefull with generalized statements of what works and what doesn't
    Maybe someday someone will read this thread who needs to hear that. I didnt make any such statement.
    Last edited by Vigo; 12-05-2010 at 02:41 PM.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Thanks for the info....?

Diesel trucks go faster than that all the time. Why do i have to be careful again? Im sure, based on the work Warren is doing with his car now (look at his current intake) that he didnt do that to prove that the log isnt a POS (which it still is even while trapping 115+, etc), but to prove something to himself, or to prove it was possible to the kind of people who like to say that things arent possible (id give you an example but i dont keep track of those people).

So I'm still laughing. Its a funny thought. Just because its funny doesnt mean it's dumb. Using a log mani to run 11s is like running a marathon on a pogo stick. Just because im laughing doesnt mean i dont think its impressive.

I agree with you there. Im one of the people who recognizes that a lot of the 'common wisdom' and ideas about what 'isnt possible' floated here (but mostly on the other site) are simply the amassed experience of people who are doing it wrong.

Maybe someday someone will read this thread who needs to hear that. I didnt make any such statement.
    Different ppl laugh for different reasons and have different meaning by "laughing" at something.

Glad to see your laughing for the right reasons.....carry on.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster

just remember, this is what we had back in the day,the log while claimed by some to be a p.o.s has put up impressive #'s and created a path for the future, we wouldn't have the later versions had they not done this needed critical r&d with the log mani. we were putting vette's and stangs down every night with the lowly log and top mount cooler setup for years, hell, myself and 3 friends contacted comp cams back in 92 and had s 60 cams made up by them, worked well, i sold mine to top fuel later on, we also had forged pistons in the works by j&e and venolia, look where that got us today. we as late teens and early 20's guys did alot of our own r&d on our cars to find what worked and what didnt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast