Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Garrett Turbos Being Made In Mexico & China

Garrett Turbos Being Made In Mexico & China

I'm not sure if anyone else here has heard about this. I know it's not new news but I wanted to get a GT30 from Chris at TU and now I don't know.

Originally Posted by mbtech

I work at Garrett Turbos, now called Honeywell Turbo Technologies which there so proud of. When Cliff Garrett Owned Garrett He used to brown bag his lunch everyday and cared for a quality Product. If he knew what Honeywell has done now he would turn over in his grave. Honeywell bought Garrett In 1998 or 1999. After this they opened up a turbo testing lab in shanghai China and quickly moved there turbo overhaul to Mexicali Mexico, quickly after Garrett overhaul went belly-up. So they moved there whole production to Mexicali Mexico, as if that first failure was not a sign.

Garrett Turbos made a quality product for a fair price. A turbo is a precision instrument. Garrett turbos was part of Garrett Air Research (on 190th st. In Torrance ca.) Where they have a huge facility designing turbine engines, and so on. Most of the senior technicians in our main turbo facility (Lomita Blvd Torrance ca) came from our air research. If you’re building jet engines a turbo is not all that difficult. Well Cliff Garrett dies. At that time ALL production of Garrett Turbos was at Lomita Torrance ca. Also all engineering and research was there as well. After we were bought and production was sent to Mexico to save costs. Our production numbers doubled. And cost was cut in half our failure rate tripled. Well who cares Honeywell is making money and lots of it. Turbos are considered Honeywell’s golden egg. They feel that turbos are going to take over big. Which it already has in the diesel market. We make ford diesel turbos, daf, Chevrolet, some Audi, vw, fiat, Perkins. Millions of turbos. And there now all coming from china and Mexico. Well up until lately the company figured if the product was designed in the US and assembled in Mexico we would be ok. Well to further there profit and **** the customer once again....the LAST of what makes turbo American leaves in January 2011. We will close the doors to the Torrance Lab. In Torrance we did all our racing turbos (wrc stuff, Audi racing etc..) then in the garret garage we did the turbos you people buy for your Subaru’s. Actually I take that back. They take turbos that were made on a production line somewhere else in the world, and change a couple of parts on a bench in Torrance (wheels, housing..etc) and send it to you the customer saying it was made in the us.....no it was not it was just repackaged and altered a little. Well as of Jan 2011 all your turbos will be made in Mexico or china or Czech Republic. This is the last Garrett facility in the United States.

We have huge law suits pending due to turbo failures. GM is probably going to leave us.... ford has already sued us. Caterpillar has one of the largest recalls in garret history in the process. Our name is becoming ****. The last few VERY smart guys left in the company are being fired to save costs, but see our profit is already good.....they just want more. Please don’t spend 1500$ on a gt35r. Now that it’s costing Honeywell less to build turbos do you think you will see a smaller bill when you order there product? NO!. They are going to charge you even more for even less. There are countless procedures that are being terminated everyday that made our turbos THE BEST. They keep cutting corner after corner. Did you know that we shave metal off our turbine and compressor housings until they are at the EXTREME minimum needed to contain in the event of failure they are shaving every nickel off the cost of a turbo. Did you know that 2000$ gt40 you buy is all mark up. I won’t dare say the actual cost to the company in fear of a lawsuit but lets just say your sales tax is more then the production cost.

Do not buy these turbos. BorgWarner and mitsu are trying there best to compete with us making a quality product. Honeywell is using its big name to back junky turbos Like Toyota is starting to do. I guarantee in the next 8 months you will see a huge decline in quality. All designing and production is in CHINA AND MEXICO. Honeywell is taking back all there benefits they used to supply us with as employees. That way when they lay us off its as cheap as possible. Instead of saying "Well after we take a hit laying those people off we will make tons" they are just taking back all there benefits so they walk away clean and clear. We used to get a severance package. Which they just took away. One of the head engineers involved in the t3 project. (Designing the first t3) he is still with our company. he was supposed to get 44 weeks of pay if he ever got laid off (30 days and 1 week for every year with the company. 40 years with the company)Due to the new Honeywell rules he gets only 16 weeks pay they stole all that pack after promising it to him for 40 years. My fingers and about to fall off typing all this and I am heated so I don’t care about grammar I’m concerned about you people not supporting a Nazi company. Take your business elsewhere. Somewhere where you will get what your money pays for. Have a nice day and don’t forget if you hear the name HTT Honeywell Turbo Technologies Stay away.

(They still use the garret stamp on the turbos).
    Quoted from another forum I frequent.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Re: Garrett Turbos Being Made In Mexico & China

the end of an era....

isn't anything made in the usa anymore? Now you know why there are no jobs to be had. As a country we don't manufacture diddly. Instead, we do the invention, and R&D only to out source it, or even more often get copied by Chineses and sold cheap, killing off Anerican industry......sad..
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Well, thanks to our half assed government and unions it's impossible to produce anything in this country and produce a profit anymore.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    Well, thanks to our half assed government
    .. yep, should have been capping all the crap produced overseas that's been dumped here for years now. They dropped the ball ... or should I say, turned a blind eye on the problem for their high dollar business buddies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polygon:729604
    and unions it's impossible to produce anything in this country and produce a profit anymore.
    No offence, but everytime I see this it makes me laugh. Unions have nothing to do with whether or not a company decides to forsake their American heritage in exchange for quick profits. Your blame is misplaced and in keeping with what big business in this country wants you to think. Pretty soon the Unions will have next to no membership in our country .. decline is happening everywhere. Who you gonna blame then .. or will you wait to blame whomever you're told to blame?

Sorry ... nothing personal. Just wish people would have called it like it was when there was still time to act.

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    No offence, but everytime I see this it makes me laugh. Unions have nothing to do with whether or not a company decides to forsake their American heritage in exchange for quick profits. Your blame is misplaced and in keeping with what big business in this country wants you to think. Pretty soon the Unions will have next to no membership in our country .. decline is happening everywhere. Who you gonna blame then .. or will you wait to blame whomever you're told to blame?

Sorry ... nothing personal. Just wish people would have called it like it was when there was still time to act.
    I didn't say they did. However, unions cost a lot of money. It's just a lot cheaper for a company to produce their product somewhere else.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

So you don't think unions with their overinflated wages and entitlements, and their mafia-esque tactics of shutting down production when they don't get what they want, has anything to do with shipping jobs overseas? Really?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I really can't believe this is in a technical forum. It's going down hill at any rate...

I'm just glad to see that the guy who wrote that isn't concerned with his grammar. I don't think he ever has been either since he doesn't understand the difference between there, their, and they're.

turbo addict

I've read this before but now there are some tweaks to it, like the date of January 2011.

Yup, earlier this year. Apparently I was incorrect since this appears to be the same thing word for word.
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ell#post628924
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I really can't believe this is in a technical forum. It's going down hill at any rate...

I'm just glad to see that the guy who wrote that isn't concerned with his grammar. I don't think he ever has been either since he doesn't understand the difference between there, their, and they're.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    I've read this before but now there are some tweaks to it, like the date of January 2011.

Yup, earlier this year. Apparently I was incorrect since this appears to be the same thing word for word.
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ell#post628924
    Yeah, his grammar blows and I know this isn't new and it has been reported by various sources. Still, we know that production and quality control are moving to Mexico. I don't know about China for sure. No matter, I see that a huge problem. I don't know if I would trust one of their turbos at this point.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    So you don't think unions with their overinflated wages and entitlements, and their mafia-esque tactics of shutting down production when they don't get what they want, has anything to do with shipping jobs overseas? Really?
    No Mike, I don't. ... and by saying that I'm putting your choice of words back within context. (by this I mean that not all unions fall within the criteria you speak of. Most of us are just out here earning a living like every other grunt.) Don't forget it takes two to sign a contract. Back in the day before globalization .. companies, of which I speak of had a social conscience, hand shakes were good as gold, people had meaningful work and really cared about their fellow Americans. People back then understood that higher wages supported the tax base enabling our country to grow and prosper. Growth that required skilled labor ... with which trade unions helped to provide. lol .. now they're being shunned because we've discovered a whole bunch of foreign people that we can exploit beyond our wildest dreams .. and get rich in the process.

Better question to ask would be how we're going to pay for all of the hardships incurred (financially) over the course of the last 25-30 years or so. Seeing the growth in the cost of living ..and many people settling for $8-9 an hour partime duty because of the shift in our national focus ... high time we, as a nation, did the math here.

Again, nothing personal to anybodies point of view. This is just mine.

No Mike, I don't. ... and by saying that I'm putting your choice of words back within context. (by this I mean that not all unions fall within the criteria you speak of. Most of us are just out here earning a living like every other grunt.) Don't forget it takes two to sign a contract. Back in the day before globalization .. companies, of which I speak of had a social conscience, hand shakes were good as gold, people had meaningful work and really cared about their fellow Americans. People back then understood that higher wages supported the tax base enabling our country to grow and prosper. Growth that required skilled labor ... with which trade unions helped to provide. lol .. now they're being shunned because we've discovered a whole bunch of foreign people that we can exploit beyond our wildest dreams .. and get rich in the process.

Better question to ask would be how we're going to pay for all of the hardships incurred (financially) over the course of the last 25-30 years or so. Seeing the growth in the cost of living ..and many people settling for $8-9 an hour partime duty because of the shift in our national focus ... high time we, as a nation, did the math here.

Again, nothing personal to anybodies point of view. This is just mine.
    Let's ignore the aspect of .gov intervention in the bargaining process for a little while.

Could you tell me what it means to exploit people as you've described?

turbo addict

Stop buying things that are made in China.

turbo addict

Could you tell me what it means to exploit people as you've described?
    Never done it so no, I can't tell you what it means or how it feels.

Never done it so no, I can't tell you what it means or how it feels.
    Perhaps you should refrain from using it in your argument next time?

turbo addict

Perhaps you should refrain from using it in your argument next time?
    That makes no sense. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question. If you're after a definition of exploitation might I suggest a dictionary?

Wanted to ask you this though ... what experience(s) do you have in the collective bargaining process as it relates to any given union? Done much of that over the years? Enough to know how much the government has to do with it exactly? ... didn't think so.

If nothing else the .gov has done little to nothing when it comes to sustaining healthy job/wage growth .. for awhile. The elected officials here have done zip to curb/cap the dumping of foreign products, in obvious attempts to pacify particular industries and the governments of the those new HQ's to which we owe tons of cash. They have used tax dollars to put taxpaying citizens out of work. Your money working against you.

Again ... just my perspective.

Real Americans drive American.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

So . . . . . are those chinese turbos on ebay really garrett turbos?

And, economics, we have the law of comparative advantage. That law is why manufacturing is going off shore - the US, because of costs of it's taxes, regulations, and labor, is at a comparative disadvantage.

We all want Cadillacs but we all can't afford them. That's what its about. Can we produce competitively priced products in the face of environmental purity, a zero risk work environment, early retirement, full health care, and high pay? In China, you have labor coming in off a subsistence farm to what they in absolute fact know is a "good job" in a 60 hour week dangerous sweat shop.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by trannybuster View Post
    So we should drive Subaru, Hyundai, Honda and Nissan?

Ford = Canada
    GM = Canada
    Chrysler = Mexico and Canada

Hyundai = Huntsville, AL
    Nissan = Canton, MS
    Honda = Greensburg, IN
    Subaru = Lafayette, IN

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trannybuster View Post
    Nope. Real Americans choose to drive whatever they want.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Nope. Real Americans choose to drive whatever they want.
    When its a fight for survival your countrymen need you, its not always whatever makes you feel good, or 'what I want' like a little child. Being American means supporting those in your own house! Im not talking about charity! Next time your out on the road open your eyes, then comment back, but of course I doubt you'll even notice becasue if you havent by now you never will.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast