Thread: epoxy for port filling

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

epoxy for port filling

hey what kind of epoxy are you guys using to fill aluminum with??

will JB weld work? or should I look into something else....

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: epoxy for port filling

If you can drill and tap for aluminum machine screws, up from the underside of the short turn, and into the area to be filled, a lot of them - can you say porcupine? - then JB Weld in my experience works well. Lay the JB Weld in by layers so that it takes a good bite on the screws. Then cut the screws' exposed portion, the part proud of the JB Weld, with your die grinder, and port to taste. The underside may be part of the block/head interface so the screws have to be machined off there too.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

yeah Im capable of doing that stuff but I would rather not. was sort of hoping to go with a poor mans port job! id rather not have to deck the head, or spend more money then I have too lol.

Careful use of a dremel and a file will get you by decking the head.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

turbo addict

Or you could countersink the heads.

However, you need kinda different techniques if you've ported it all ready and gone too thin. Like use the JB Weld from the coolant side.

How much more height do you need off the floor anyway? I've got a cunning scam for if you need more than 1/4" ..... and it should work in exhaust ports too.

(BTW crappy tire has some "Cold Steel" or something putty that is supposed to take up to 500C or so but it's something like $15 a stick and you don't get much, you could spend $100 doing that when someone might be able to build your ports up with weld for that)

cold steel or cold weld???

i got cold weld here....works great on the water pipes in the house! lol

i was not sure where or what i will be applying it too. i have a few ideas in mind. i have a butt load of heads here that I want to port over the winter. 655, 445, 287 and 782's lol.......

655 would def get some floor work done. im not worried bout the other G head ports unless i was planning to raised the roof. the swirl head im not 2 familiar with, but im def thinking they need some epoxy in the bowl area!

turbo addict

Wasn't cold weld, though maybe I got confused with that. Cold weld does 149C continuous, good enough for N/A intakes anyway.

Found this stuff though while I was looking...
    http://www.amazon.com/CarGo-8024-The...8111913&sr=1-7

turbo addict

There is a couple pretty good products on the market from what I've read .. and would be applicable for your needs Juggy. I'll check the forum I'm thinking of to find a link.http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...64&hilit=epoxy

Here's a thread that discusses some of the options.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior222 View Post
    Wasn't cold weld, though maybe I got confused with that. Cold weld does 149C continuous, good enough for N/A intakes anyway.

Found this stuff though while I was looking...
    http://www.amazon.com/CarGo-8024-The...8111913&sr=1-7
    I like the price! It seems to be OK, probably as good or better than JB...

Personally, I'd feel fine using whatever for testing, but I'll always be a bit nervous using it in a "live" engine knowing what "stuff" can do to an engine at speed... Not that I wouldn't do it! I'd just be nervous while I did!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

Though looking at that later, I'm not sure it's not just some fancy muffler cement.

My experience was with an air cooled Yamaha SR 500 head. The bike is sitting behind my garage. I did that port job more than 30 years ago; when I parked it, that JB Weld was still sound. The bike was overbored, cammed, ported of course, and had a big header and megaphone; it was peaky, made power at 6000 to 7500, and I spun to that level everytime I took it out; it would take maybe 5 or 6 hours at race speeds to crack its crankcases parallel to and below the deck, or the cylinder parallel to and above the deck. That's why it's parked. Despite those operating conditions the JB Weld survived.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand