Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking At Buying An SRT-4

Looking At Buying An SRT-4

And I need some advice.

I'm looking at a 2004 and it's blue. I love the color and from the pictures it looks pretty damn good inside and out. The car has 60,000 miles and they are the second owner. They claim it's been their summer car and that it's mostly stock with very minor mods.

They're asking $9,500 for it and according to KBB and the NADA it's worth closer to $9,000. So, tell me, what do you think it's worth provided that what they're saying is true? I still need to go look at it, but I want to have an idea of what I can haggle for if needs be.

Also, anything I should look for beyond the regular things? And lastly, if I find an ACR, how much more money should I expect to pay over a regular SRT-4?

boostaholic

Re: Looking At Buying An SRT-4

I think so many of these cars get destroyed, if you can find a clean one
    its worth a premium.
    Plus, the less mods the better.
    Go to SRT Forums and see what the cars are going for in the for sale section,
    I think I saw an ACR in there a few days ago, don't remember the price.

Hybrid booster

seems about 1k higher than it should be just by the values. Being that it`s been through 2 owners ,I`d knock off a little more than that.

Yeah, I asked this over at the SRT forums and haven't gotten any responses. I'll have to keep my eye on the for sale section.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

I wouldn't waste your money on an ACR edition. The acr comes with 16 inch wheels becuase of the tein strut set-up, and that set-up isn't all that great. Only nice thing about an acr are the seats which are the viper style but come with cutouts in the headrest area for racing belts and an acr logo.
    If you want to get something special, get a commetrative edition (white with blue strips). They only made 200 of those. There is a guy here in houston selling his commenrative for $11K
    For a near stock 60K mile srt-4, I wouldn't pay more than $7500. There aren't that many buyers out there. Most are kids and banks are not doing big used car loans on neons that are 5-6 years old, so people coming up with 9-10k aren't falling out of the trees nowadays.
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

I sold my 2004, which I bought new in 2005, for $8500 with 48000 miles on it. It never had any mods done to it and I threw in an extra set of rims with snow tires on them.
    I agree with Cindy and estimate it at $7000 to $7500.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    I wouldn't waste your money on an ACR edition. The acr comes with 16 inch wheels becuase of the tein strut set-up, and that set-up isn't all that great. Only nice thing about an acr are the seats which are the viper style but come with cutouts in the headrest area for racing belts and an acr logo.
    If you want to get something special, get a commetrative edition (white with blue strips). They only made 200 of those. There is a guy here in houston selling his commenrative for $11K
    For a near stock 60K mile srt-4, I wouldn't pay more than $7500. There aren't that many buyers out there. Most are kids and banks are not doing big used car loans on neons that are 5-6 years old, so people coming up with 9-10k aren't falling out of the trees nowadays.
    Although I do disagree with you on the ACR edition being worth it, you get alot for the money (I own one and wouldn't trade it for anything), I do agree the price is too high and for the money he should go to TX and buy your swapped car listed for sale.

Hmm, this is some good information. The ACR is found was a 2005 with 57,000 miles. It's white and I really don't want white. They want about $12,000 for it which seemed kind of high. Plus what interests me about the ACR is mainly the fact that it comes with the stage 2 pre-installed. It wouldn't take much for me to do that myself.

I think I'll save the money and get a normal SRT-4.

boostaholic

Stage kits have long been discontinued.
    There are used kits floating around, but the best bang 4 your buck is the
    Diablosport tuner.

I have S2 on my car... Im not impressed.

I'll be keeping the sensors and injectors... But, going back to a stock ECM and DSP.

If Cindy's car would have been FS when I was looking, I would have walked away from my current one lol

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by moparfwdsleeper View Post
    I have S2 on my car... Im not impressed.

I'll be keeping the sensors and injectors... But, going back to a stock ECM and DSP.

If Cindy's car would have been FS when I was looking, I would have walked away from my current one lol
    Do you have Stage 2 or Stage 2 with toys?
    I've had both, the toys are a whole different animal.

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    And I need some advice.

I'm looking at a 2004 and it's blue. I love the color and from the pictures it looks pretty damn good inside and out. The car has 60,000 miles and they are the second owner. They claim it's been their summer car and that it's mostly stock with very minor mods.

They're asking $9,500 for it and according to KBB and the NADA it's worth closer to $9,000. So, tell me, what do you think it's worth provided that what they're saying is true? I still need to go look at it, but I want to have an idea of what I can haggle for if needs be.

Also, anything I should look for beyond the regular things? And lastly, if I find an ACR, how much more money should I expect to pay over a regular SRT-4?
    9500 for a good SRT4 is a good deal IMO. Now if it is ragged out, that is a different story.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    Hmm, this is some good information. The ACR is found was a 2005 with 57,000 miles. It's white and I really don't want white. They want about $12,000 for it which seemed kind of high. Plus what interests me about the ACR is mainly the fact that it comes with the stage 2 pre-installed. It wouldn't take much for me to do that myself.

I think I'll save the money and get a normal SRT-4.
    Do you mean the one you are looking at had Stage 2? Or that you are under the impression that all ACR's came with S2 installed? Because they didn't.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post
    9500 for a good SRT4 is a good deal IMO. Now if it is ragged out, that is a different story.
    Yup seems reasonable to me if it hasn't been beaten on too much, or been hacked around.

Quote Originally Posted by Keito View Post
    Do you have Stage 2 or Stage 2 with toys?
    I've had both, the toys are a whole different animal.
    Without...

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

The trick with SRT4's, as mentioned, is finding one that hasn't been either A. crashed or B. hacked up/and or beat to hell.

There's nice ones going for 10-12k around here with similar mileage, so i'd say 9500 is reasonable.

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff speeddemon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    The struts on the ACR are not Tein but Tokicos same manufacturer as a normal SRT4 but with lower spring perches so the ACR rides lower than a stock SRT4. In addition the struts are adjustable so the ride can be tuned somewhat, from my experience the stiffest setting is stiffer than a normal SRT4 and the softest setting is much softer, the car is actually comfortable. It does require a 16" wheel but the wheel is 1/2" wider so you have more contact patch on the road. They are of course much rarer also if that is a factor in your choice. As for the seats, it is neat to have the bling of the seat cutouts but I would check on how you are positioned in the seat vs the slots if you are going to use them for belts (if you are too high in the seat - shoulders above the slots - then no good as you don't want the shoulder belts pulling down on you).
    Craig
    SDAC Board Member
    1985 GHLT
    1986 GLHS 047
    2005 SRT4 ACR

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor mario03SRT's Avatar

Hey!

Check for the vacuum lines being virgin.

Also check the map sensor harness and the pcm harness for evidence of being tapped into.

Look at the cyl head to see if the head was swapped out by looking at the head gasket.

These will be a good indicators that it was left stock.

A lot of guys did turbo upgrades who had no clue on how to run/tune thier cars. Then they run bad, put back on the stock stuff and try to dump them.

The 2.4L Turbo motor is a very good piece and one of the best engines from Mopar ever. A lot of high tech action going on in there and they are durable.

FYI,
    Marion

turbo addict

Plus examine the core support, inner fenders and strut towers, very carefully, check the doors line up and there's not 1/2" of shims under the hinges or latchplate.

'coz if you look on eBay and in the trade rags you see "UNRECORDED rebuildable", as often as you see the other, VIN checks won't save yer arse there.

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

$7000 for an SRT? Only if its totally clapped out and destroyed around here. My 72k mile one with some light mods (IC, WB, new boost gauge, 3" exhaust, poly bushings, 18" R1 wheels) will be up for $11k.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast