Thread: 91+ fuel pump on 89 down hanger?

turbo addict

91+ fuel pump on 89 down hanger?

I am getting a high flow fuel pump and I want to try the TRE brand that is so much cheaper than the walbro that many have had luck with. The only problem, they do not have a direct fitment pump availble. The pump they have is similar to the 91+ pumps. It doesn't look that hard except for the sock since the stock one is angled to sit level with the bottom of the tank. I have seen threads where people talked about putting the 91+ pump in but no pictures and searching is hopeless.

If anyone has some tips that would be great, I would much rather pay 70 instead of 110.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: 91+ fuel pump on 89 down hanger?

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    I am getting a high flow fuel pump and I want to try the TRE brand that is so much cheaper than the walbro that many have had luck with. The only problem, they do not have a direct fitment pump availble. The pump they have is similar to the 91+ pumps. It doesn't look that hard except for the sock since the stock one is angled to sit level with the bottom of the tank. I have seen threads where people talked about putting the 91+ pump in but no pictures and searching is hopeless.

If anyone has some tips that would be great, I would much rather pay 70 instead of 110.
    How about swapping the whole hanger/pump assembly? The opening in the tank should be the same, so you should be able to swap in the newer pump/hanger and not sweat adapting anything... Easy!(says the man who hasn't done it himself...)

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    How about swapping the whole hanger/pump assembly? The opening in the tank should be the same, so you should be able to swap in the newer pump/hanger and not sweat adapting anything... Easy!(says the man who hasn't done it himself...)

Mike
    I thought that might be possible but I dont think it is, I looked up the part numbers of both tanks and they are different. I am really kicking myself on this one because I parted out a spirit with the newer pump/tank thinking mine had the same, then I looked
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

let me no on how that pump works . im thinking about getting the tre 200 which is a inline

turbo addict

I had a thread on this and not really alot of help, persoinally If I had to do it again, I wouldnt.

TRE makes a pump just like the GSS340 which is the walbro pump number that the vendors sell, If I had to do it again I would have just ordered a TRE 340 (I believe was the PN) for even cheaper at 70 bucks. This is a direct replacement if you already have a walbro installed,(looks exactly the same and claims to be the same but hard to tell from there pics) which I did, this would have been plug and play.

Besides that, Ive found out so far that I should just swap a 91+ up tank and sending unit, the wires are different so a little splicing is involved, but hell for about 100 bucks(for the walbro) or 70 for the tre 340 and not hacking up my car I'll spend the money.

Read some of my other threads on this and you'll see the problems I was having with this pump in my 89 daytona. at least the pump clains to be able to be used in my dakota

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 dart wagon View Post
    I had a thread on this and not really alot of help, persoinally If I had to do it again, I wouldnt.

TRE makes a pump just like the GSS340 which is the walbro pump number that the vendors sell, If I had to do it again I would have just ordered a TRE 340 (I believe was the PN) for even cheaper at 70 bucks. This is a direct replacement if you already have a walbro installed,(looks exactly the same and claims to be the same but hard to tell from there pics) which I did, this would have been plug and play.

Besides that, Ive found out so far that I should just swap a 91+ up tank and sending unit, the wires are different so a little splicing is involved, but hell for about 100 bucks(for the walbro) or 70 for the tre 340 and not hacking up my car I'll spend the money.

Read some of my other threads on this and you'll see the problems I was having with this pump in my 89 daytona. at least the pump clains to be able to be used in my dakota
    Thanks for the advice, I guess I will go with the right one then. I was just trying to save some money since my TM addiction is getting worse because I am buying a car just for the performance parts it comes with.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post

Mike
    I would say no, the 91+ pump unit is larger than the older setup so IIRC, the hole is bigger on the 91+ unit.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I guess I will go with the right one then. I was just trying to save some money since my TM addiction is getting worse because I am buying a car just for the performance parts it comes with.
    Yeah I know the feeling.

The reason I went with tre is it was suggested by other uses as a replacement fp that wasnt a walbro. It is nice and quiet I will say but I didnt mind the wine of the walbro. I've killed 2 walbros in the last 2 years, thankfully changing the pump isnt that big of a deal, its just the down time.

turbo addict

More updates for ya, It APPEARS the 91+ hanger will fit in the 89 tank, I got a couple at the pick n pull yard this weekend, I'll be swapping it in and update with how it goes on here and/or my own thread.

turbo addict

sweet, thanks. I will be looking foward to the update.