Thread: High Idle..?

Hybrid booster

High Idle..?

Well I've been trying to figure this car out for weeks now. At first start up it will idle fine until it warms or at least until I drive it a mile or so. Then the rpm's will climb to 1500-2k. Everytime I shift gears it will settle at 2k, and everytime I come to a stop it will as well. It makes leaving from a stop and shifting difficult, and annoying. And at times the idle will drop way below 900 almost stalling the car.

I had replaced the AIS sensor with a new GP Sorensen piece a few weeks back. It had solved the idle problem up until about 6 days ago. Why it worked and then stopped working I don't know. Or was it even the AIS all along? I'm now wishing I bought a Mopar sensor. I'm worried the cheaper variety has failed. I also changed the spark plugs to stock 12yc's with stock .35 gap. I had set the dist. timing recently to stock 12 deg.

I did a thorough search on here and our neighbor site. Any possibility it's Tps, Hep, Sds? Any help appreciated. Thanks

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: High Idle..?

Hi. the AIS is only doing what your LM tells it to do. More likely is that you have a problem in your Vacuum System. Check the lines and PCV System as well. Also test your oxygen sensor. Sinse your problems occur at warm up you should check it out. While you are at your sensors check out the MAP Sensor as well. Good Luck

Hybrid booster

Check your grounds. There is one from the firewall to the intake that breaks often. There should be another one saddling the pass. side motor mount. Also check the wires to the AIS themselves to be sure they are in the connectors snugly. Look for green crud. Electronics stores (including Radio Shack) sell spray stuff to remove the green crud.

Mike

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Is this a TI car with a long intake?
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Hybrid booster

Yeah, it's a T1 log. I just checked a few more things. I removed the ais for the heck of it. I noticed the end of it will rattle if I shake it. Only mentioning because I didn't notice that when I installed it (may be nothing). So, all I did was remove and re-install it, but after that I drove the car for two days and it was fine with no high or dropping idle until yesterday it started again.

Here are the things I did today: removed air charge sensor (it was dirty and teflon tape gone), removed black vac. source on top of intake (re-taped the threads and cleaned oil accumulation), replaced airbox pcv breather filter, checked all visible grounds, removed 02 sensor (quite new so hardly dirty), made sure all relay connections were secure, tightened up loose speedo cable under car, cleaned sds connector and greased, removed hep and noticed the underside 'contact' was dirty so I cleaned it.

And so after all that work, I drove the car and it's still idling at 2k after warm-up. Oh yeah, the ais connector is in good condition and the map sensor looks fairly new. I will have some pics of how my vac. hoses are setup within a couple days. Any more suggestions are much appreciated.

Garrett booster

check the grounds and the AIS wiring. it sounds like the AIS motor might be sticking.

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

when I had this problem the fix for it was two things:

First I took the ais apart, and cleaned the heck out of it, then put it back together with a little oil for lubrication. Next I adjusted the Minimum Air Adjustment of the TB itself, these two seemed to cure the problem. Check out this page on Russ' site for help on the minimum air adjustment: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/idleproblems.html as well as a lot of other good idle related info.

Oh, and the thing that really cured my idle problems was doing a TII conversion. Now it idles like a dream!!

clay
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Hybrid booster

I forgot to mention I have had no fault codes at any time during experiencing these idle issues. So, I can just about eliminate the map sensor and tps but they might not always show codes right? I doubt a dirty throttle body. I cleaned it well last time it was off. I don't believe it's a vac. leak because I don't see it being as intermittent as it's been. If it was vac, I would think it would not stop until fixed. I also dont think the minimum air adj. will change my problem. There are times the car will idle perfectly at 900 like a few days ago when it amazingly was working fine.

Clay - Thanks for the link. And, yeah a T2 conversion would help idle alot but the whole engine build idea got squashed after I left my last job. It should happen eventually though. The slider cam is a big contributor to the rough idle too. The shadow had noisy lifters but otherwise was much smoother.

Anyone else give me your thoughts. Thank You

Garrett booster

i believe you've already narrowed it down by temporarily fixing the problem when you removed and reinstalled the AIS motor. like i said before: check the grounds and the AIS wiring. it sounds like the AIS motor might be sticking (new does NOT mean good).

Hybrid booster

Today I checked the AIS off the throttle body. The valve was completely shut. Like Russ says here: "Look in the end of the motor to see if it is completely shut. If it is not, then it may not be working." I removed it but kept it connected, then turned the ignition to ON and then OFF though I couldn't see it move (I was working alone), I heard it. I looked and it had moved a small amount open. I then turned the key back to ON and once again I heard it. I checked and it had opened a small amount more. This time I left the ignition ON and it opened no further than half way in all. Is that normal?

I'm probably going to return it to Advance today and order a Borg Warner replacement. I wanted a Mopar unit but I checked and they were $175 and she said they've been discontinued. Cindy doesn't seem to sell them either.

Edit: Well I came back from Advance and they told me the warranty on it is for defective replacement only. So I can't get a refund, only another of the same GP sensor. I'll be picking up the new sensor and a fuel filter tomorrow.
    Last edited by Wes85L; 06-29-2006 at 06:21 PM.