Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: restrictor

Mitsu booster

restrictor

Hey guys i am just wondering how important the oil restrictor between the head and block is? I dont believe my new engine has one and i am suffering from extremly low low oil pressure, I do not want to damage anything for i have just put almost 5 grand into this engine. If you could tell me where i can get one or how i can make one or what to use to make one i would greatly appreciate it. My car is an 88 shelby z, 2.2 intercooled.

Mitsu booster

Re: restrictor

could someone please help me?

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

youve ran the motor???

its always best to prime the oiling system, especially with a fresh motor. at the same time you could watch the oil pressure on a guage so you know your gettting the proper PSI

id like to help you on the restrictor part, but honestly i cant. i dont think our cars even have one. if I were you I would pull off the oil pan and make sure you got the proper pick up tube, and that it is not sucking in any air

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

If its a used block, 99.9% chance its still there, no one I know ever takes it out as you have to physically pry/dig it out as its in the block, deck area, and its recessed.

So when you say low oil pressure, how are you measuring it? What exactly did you have done to the engine and did you measure the clearances? What oil pump?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

It's not recessed ... and they come out regularly when a machie shop cleans/decks a block. It's a .125" holed cylinder that slips into the oil gallery .. at the blocks deck .. in the right rear corner. It sticks up above the deck some as this is allowed for in the heads casting. You'd have to pull the head to put one in.

Another guy (supercrackerbox) forgot the restrictor in his engine build and had low oil pressure. He had to take the head off and put it in.

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    It's not recessed ... and they come out regularly when a machie shop cleans/decks a block. It's a .125" holed cylinder that slips into the oil gallery .. at the blocks deck .. in the right rear corner. It sticks up above the deck some as this is allowed for in the heads casting. You'd have to pull the head to put one in.
    Maybe recessed is not the right word but I've never had one damaged or removed when decking these blocks, and I've had a dozen or more done. They are always flush too, never seen one raised up but of course, some could be.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

Hmmm, every factory block I've torn down looked like I described. Thought I read someplace on here that you couldn't get these anymore? If so, the guy's going to have to get creative.

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    Hmmm, every factory block I've torn down looked like I described. Thought I read someplace on here that you couldn't get these anymore? If so, the guy's going to have to get creative.
    Weird,

No doubt, guess a washer ground to fit with the proper size hole would work.

Kinda funny though, he was in a big panic and he hasn't been back on,

I thought those restrictor was required or you would get low oil psi..is that correct?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Not every 2.2 got them stock.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by impuresoul2k3 View Post
    Another guy (supercrackerbox) forgot the restrictor in his engine build and had low oil pressure. He had to take the head off and put it in.
    It wasn't so much that I had to, it was more that I was going to have the engine apart anyway, so figured I might as well. I never put one in the engine I rebuilt for the CSX-T, and that engine served for over 60,000 miles in the old Daytona with no problems, and now lives on in Ray's brother's wagon.

If they can't be purchased anymore, I'm told that you can drill a proper sized hole in a .22 cal rimfire casing and it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Turboomni View Post
    I thought those restrictor was required or you would get low oil psi..is that correct?
    I thought we figured out they were to stop over oiling the head. I would assume with high rpm, the head could fill up and not drain back fast enough and starve the bottom end. The oiling system with proper specs should be strong enough to not loose any oil pressure if its left out. I put 4 oiling cuts in my rods, I guess that's similiar to leaving out the restrictor and still have good oil pressure, 25 psi at idle.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

one thing was the pressure he was running was never mentioned...was the oil light on?? or was he scared to seee 6 or 7 psi oil pressure on a motor at idle after it heated up???

the oil light doesnt come on until what?? 4 or 5 psi??? we dont need much pressure.

i think we need more info from the thread starter.....

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Yeah, when a shop machines a block, they sometimes pull these out. But you should still be able to get one from the dealer. It's part number 4323808 and they are only 2-3 bucks a piece.

I would get one and install it if I were you. It's how the engine was designed to run. Attached is the page from the parts list incase it helps. Part number 19.

If you go to http://www.moparpartz.com and do a search for the part number, you can order it for $2.08.
    Attached Files Attached Files

turbo addict

I always take them out when rebuilding, so Simon you can count me as someone that does. You may booger the .125 hole up when removing. Super easy to fix. Just braze the hole shut and re-drill if your in a pinch and need to reassemble and don't have the time to buy a new one. BTW I believe the new ones are closer to .140. Masi 16V uses about a .085. So they're different sized ones out there. Chrysler have several sizes over the years, seems like they couldn't make up their minds on the size.
    Todd

Mitsu booster

hey guys sorry i havent been back on, i tore down the dead yesterday and put a new restrictor in the block, it was $5.66 cents from the dealer and at the same time they told me only 9 were left nationwide!! But still to no avale, i am still experiancing 0 at hot idle, the oil pump was replaced at time of rebuild, and clearances were checked, i have tried two different mechanical gauges both read the same and for somereason no the low oil light did not come on?

Hey Todd. I heard you had your grubby mitts all over my engine over at TPIS! Is that why my restrictor is missing?! Thanks for your input/help. I am not sure what you did; they just said you helped.

And you were right. TPISpecialties really do good work and are willing to help wherever they can. I drove up there on a really rainy day and my SRT4 was sucking water in the CAI on the interstate and they let me pull it in the shop to make some adjustments.

Thanks for pointing me in their direction and helping me out. And thanks for staying so loyal to this small community. I heard stories about your head porting ability almost 10 years ago from Jesse Burr that, in my young eyes at the time, made you seem legendary

Quote Originally Posted by jsuhr77833 View Post
    hey guys sorry i havent been back on, i tore down the dead yesterday and put a new restrictor in the block, it was $5.66 cents from the dealer and at the same time they told me only 9 were left nationwide!! But still to no avale, i am still experiancing 0 at hot idle, the oil pump was replaced at time of rebuild, and clearances were checked, i have tried two different mechanical gauges both read the same and for somereason no the low oil light did not come on?
    Only 9 left nation wide?! that seems almost unbelievable.

I wish I knew more to help you with your problem. If you primed the oil pump, installed the restrictor, and have good clearances, I don't know what the deal could be.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Glad I got one when I did. Heck the oil filter adapter/anti drainback valve is NLA as of last year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast