Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Official BC Coilover Kit Development Interest.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Re: Official BC Coilover Kit Development Interest.

Great to hear!
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I will second all that Bryan said

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Nice work on the L-body stuff guys. Looks like everything has been worked out as far as the L-body BC kit is concerned which is nice because I'm going to pick up a set as soon as funds allow.

Just an FYI, there are a couple write-ups (including mine) in the tech forum on installing the QA1 adjustable rear shocks in the GHKJPA bodies.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...KHPA-body-cars.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Nice work on the L-body stuff guys. Looks like everything has been worked out as far as the L-body BC kit is concerned which is nice because I'm going to pick up a set as soon as funds allow
    Agreed awesome job Rich! I'm in for a set too as soon as funds become available.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

I love how they turned out on my car. It definitely sits lower and I don't have it in the weeds.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    I love how they turned out on my car. It definitely sits lower and I don't have it in the weeds.
    How much lower than stock do you have it set for?

How much higher or lower could you go?

It should be fine to raise it until you have about 1-1.5" of threads in the spindle mount for the high setting and on the low side you can go until it is too close to the axle.

For the rears I now have some shorter top hats for them if you ever need to go lower.

I would do the measurements on my car but my prototype setup that I can't get in volume is slightly taller.

Thanks,

Rich

You could drop in another 1-2 inches. Right now, it is about 3/4 in lower than where it sat before. I used to be able to get a floor jack under the K-frame, but can't now. I don't like the slammed look but agree that stock is a little tall.
    Rich, I'm sure you could get a couple inches of extra clearance with them all the way up.
    Bryan

I got a couple questions on the BC L-body kit. How is it adjusting the rears? I don't see the adjustment knob with the mag nut there, but from the sounds of it all I need is a T-handle allen wrench? Also, do I need to go to polybushings.com for the replacement lower bushing for the rear, or is it included? And those blue poly donut spacers (lg/sm), I already have a set of those from polybushings.com. They are the same as the standard L-body ones Johnny makes, right?

I got a couple questions on the BC L-body kit. How is it adjusting the rears? I don't see the adjustment knob with the mag nut there, but from the sounds of it all I need is a T-handle allen wrench? Also, do I need to go to polybushings.com for the replacement lower bushing for the rear, or is it included? And those blue poly donut spacers (lg/sm), I already have a set of those from polybushings.com. They are the same as the standard L-body ones Johnny makes, right?
    Since I was the guinea pig, I can answer this for you. The blue ones Johnny makes are the ones I used, they work perfect. The T-handle allen wrench is included in the kit. The lower bushings are what Rich and I were working on, so it should come with them. That was why I was helping Rich out, to get a simple lower bushing setup. It was even better that is was kept in the community by using Polybushing's pieces.
    Bryan

Since I was the guinea pig, I can answer this for you. The blue ones Johnny makes are the ones I used, they work perfect. The T-handle allen wrench is included in the kit. The lower bushings are what Rich and I were working on, so it should come with them. That was why I was helping Rich out, to get a simple lower bushing setup. It was even better that is was kept in the community by using Polybushing's pieces.
    I am actually not including the bushings in the kit because I think that everyone will want to order the top poly bushings from Johnny anyway and they can be shipped together.

The bottom bushings were under $30 a pair so they aren't a big expense and Johnny knows what to provide.. It is just easier to for both Johnny and I to have him provide the bottom bushings directly.

I am including the T handle adjuster, mag nuts, and a different BC rear spring top hat (to replace the one that comes with the eclipse setup) in the kit.

-Rich

BTW here are a couple of pictures of the prototype GJKHPA rear spring adjusters!

They require drilling of a 1/2" hole in the spring pad on the rear axle and an optional second hole (or set screw from the inside) to keep them from turning. The second hole can be tapped for 3/8" or used as a 5/16 through bolt hole.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spring Adjusters1.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	35102

They are a top quality steel coilover sleeve for extra strength and are angled so that the springs are straight. The coilover springs can't bow like the stock springs do.

Name:	Spring Adjusters2.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	35103

The adjuster is aluminum which is annodized gold similar to the BCs. Notice the quality of the welds. The fabricator is very good and they are all TIG welded.

Name:	Spring Adjusters Weld.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	35104

The bottoms need a quick coat of paint to protect the welds from rusting and they are ready to bolt on and provide about 2.5" of adjustment range. The coilover spring will mount like the stock spring on the top. My suggestion is to remove the stock "gate top" bump stop and install a shorter one or put the bump stop on the shock instead of the tower. I also suggest a new poly spring isolator.

The first two pairs are being sent this week and next so hopefully there won't be any bugs in them with the angles, spring lengths, etc but even if there are we are very close to production.

-Rich

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    BTW here are a couple of pictures of the prototype GJKHPA rear spring adjusters!

They require drilling of a 1/2" hole in the spring pad on the rear axle and an optional second hole (or set screw from the inside) to keep them from turning. The second hole can be tapped for 3/8" or used as a 5/16 through bolt hole.

Name:	Spring Adjusters1.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	35102

They are a top quality steel coilover sleeve for extra strength and are angled so that the springs are straight. The coilover springs can't bow like the stock springs do.

Name:	Spring Adjusters2.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	35103

The adjuster is aluminum which is annodized gold similar to the BCs. Notice the quality of the welds. The fabricator is very good and they are all TIG welded.

Name:	Spring Adjusters Weld.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	35104

The bottoms need a quick coat of paint to protect the welds from rusting and they are ready to bolt on and provide about 2.5" of adjustment range. The coilover spring will mount like the stock spring on the top. My suggestion is to remove the stock "gate top" bump stop and install a shorter one or put the bump stop on the shock instead of the tower. I also suggest a new poly spring isolator.

The first two pairs are being sent this week and next so hopefully there won't be any bugs in them with the angles, spring lengths, etc but even if there are we are very close to production.

-Rich
    Approximate cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Approximate cost?
    Probably $160-180 for a pair unless costs increase with the next batch or something has to change with them.

-Rich

Sorry Rich, I overstepped by bounds on that one.
    I suppose what I meant was that the blue poly donuts will work as I used them, but are not included. Also that the bushings were included in the price, but are shipped from Polybushings. Is that more correct?
    Bryan

Sorry Rich, I overstepped by bounds on that one.
    I suppose what I meant was that the blue poly donuts will work as I used them, but are not included. Also that the bushings were included in the price, but are shipped from Polybushings. Is that more correct?
    I included them for you given that you were testing them.

In the future it is much easer to just have the customer pay Johnny directly given that they are most likely already going to buy something (the donut bushings) from him at the same time anyway and shipping can be combined.

I would just charge $25-30 more for the kit with no markup if they were included so it is the same price to order directly from Johnny.

If it is a big concern for people I can work it into the price and have Johnny drop ship them to people. <shrug>

Don't worry about overstepping bounds I appreciate your help.

-Rich

That makes even more sense. He makes them so just place an order there for the bushings and donuts. It doesn't add any time to get them.
    Bryan

turbo addict

Not a bad cost. Gotta finish my engine..then I'm going to revamp the suspension and brakes...again! LOL

Very nice! I'm impressed; I like the design, materials, and construction. It looks like it will last a long time. The only other thing I can think of is what do you think about a small 3rd hole (perhaps 1/8") to drain any moisture that might end up inside of the coil-over sleeve?

Also, when I get these I was thinking of powder coating the sleeves semi-gloss black. Do you think a thin application of powder over the threaded area would interfere with the adjuster? Would be nice for appearance/longevity.

I forgot to mention, I happen to have a new set of polybushings.com's rear spring poly isolators for the GHKPA cars and the small one (top) fits the BC rear coils I got through Rich perfectly. The only thing I don't quite understand is that it needs the stock bump stop in place since it mounts over it and keeps it centered. Years ago I tried unsuccessfully to remove the stock rear bump stops from my Shelby Lancer. I remember taking a couple coarse threaded screws out but those things would not come off! Is there a trick to removing the stock bump stops? Are they spot welded in place or??

Oh and no big deal on the rear L-body bottom bushing. That makes sense to just get it from PB.com since anybody that does this is also going to want those blue donut bushings anyway. I just wanted clarification there as I wasn't sure exactly what was included.

Very nice! I'm impressed; I like the design, materials, and construction. It looks like it will last a long time. The only other thing I can think of is what do you think about a small 3rd hole (perhaps 1/8") to drain any moisture that might end up inside of the coil-over sleeve?

Also, when I get these I was thinking of powder coating the sleeves semi-gloss black. Do you think a thin application of powder over the threaded area would interfere with the adjuster? Would be nice for appearance/longevity.
    I am not sure if the powder would interfere with the threads. It might, or it might just come off when you adjust them. I think just a coating of black paint over the bottom inch where the weld is and where the welding overheated the coating is all that is needed.

The drain hole is probably a good idea. I forget about that here in the desert because we don't really have much moisture. The drain hole is easier than capping the hollow sleeve.

It is something that you can easily add by just drilling up through from the bottom once you get things all set. A small 1/8" weep hole would probably work just fine. If you have to add the drain hole to the spring pad then you might as well just drill through the pad and the bottom plate all at once so I would probably leave that to the customer to do.

-Rich

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast