Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Official BC Coilover Kit Development Interest.

Re: Official BC Coilover Kit Development Interest.

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    I can do that half kits aren't a problem but i need enough people to order the rears so that we can reasonably get them done.

I really need more people for the non lbody rears because those take more custom parts.

We are looking at some rampage solutions but most of them involve radically changing the rear end and modifying the bed. There just isn't much room for coil springs on a Rampage.

-Rich
    Are you saying you're developing a setup for rampages? Maybe I should hold out and wait for that instead?
    you can't polish a turd! [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT][/COLOR]13.67@100.11

Garrett booster

so Rich you have adapters made up to use the bc stuff with your camber plates? If so I might be more interested in that since I'm going for as much positive caster as I can get and your plates are caster adjustable...that and I already opened up the holes and modified them some more to get an additional 1/2 degree positive Also, I'm wondering if my car might benefit from one of the higher levels of shock/strut that they offer, since I primarily autocross the car and the spring rates are going to be over 500lbs? What's your opinion on that?

Hybrid booster

Sorry for my ignorance, but can we still use the stock lbody spindles if we put spacers in between the strut and spindle? Are the distance between the strut holes different?

turbo addict

If I had the means to do this, I'd be all over it! Uggh....I HATE being broke! HATE IT!!

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4cefedomni View Post
    Are you saying you're developing a setup for rampages? Maybe I should hold out and wait for that instead?
    The front will be the same as the charger so I would suggest getting that half kit.

I am looking into something for the rear of the Rampage but it is not very straight forward and would probably require modifications.

-Rich

Quote Originally Posted by turboz523 View Post
    so Rich you have adapters made up to use the bc stuff with your camber plates? If so I might be more interested in that since I'm going for as much positive caster as I can get and your plates are caster adjustable...that and I already opened up the holes and modified them some more to get an additional 1/2 degree positive
    I have the adapter bushings for my plates ready to go so it is an option.

I will try to get them to add caster to the plates but I can't really guarantee that.

I can make a custom top plate that has the same footprint and caster adjustment as my originals that bolts to their center adjuster (that is what I currently have on my GLHS). The only downside to that is that I have to make the plates so they would probably be $100 extra or so If I have to make them where if they make them they just include them in the price.

Quote Originally Posted by turboz523
    Also, I'm wondering if my car might benefit from one of the higher levels of shock/strut that they offer, since I primarily autocross the car and the spring rates are going to be over 500lbs? What's your opinion on that?
    Well the external reservoir (ER) struts are better. I think those are $1000 for just the fronts but I would have to double check on that price.

Either strut can take the 500lb springs but the ERs have more oil in the external reservoir and they are a true double adjustable strut.

I think you could run the ER fronts with the regular BR rears without a problem. Most of the work is done in the front of the car so that is where you really need the best stuff while the rear is kind of along for the ride.

The BRs still adjust both bound and rebound through their 30 way adjustment but it is from a single adjustment point so it is not an independent adjustment.

-Rich

Quote Originally Posted by DevoBuzz View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance, but can we still use the stock lbody spindles if we put spacers in between the strut and spindle? Are the distance between the strut holes different?
    The lbody spindles are both narrower and they also adjust on the opposite bolt. The actual spacing is the same but the offset between the top and bottom is a little different.

I know that when people try to use Daytona spindles in lbody struts they have had issues with the camber angles not being right.

I haven't tried it but I think that if you ran lbody spindles in the neon strut with spacers your camber might be changed a bit. Considering that they come with a camber plate to adjust things it could probably be fixed in the top plate so that it would work.

I would however suggest that you upgrade your spindles to the 91+ non lbody style. Then you don't need any spacers, the spindle connection is stronger, and you have better brake options including the option of 11" front rotors. If you are serious enough to run these then you probably want the better spindle and brakes aswell.

-Rich

Any idea what just a set of fronts for an L body would cost?
    you can't polish a turd! [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT][/COLOR]13.67@100.11

Any idea what just a set of fronts for an L body would cost?
    $500 for only the fronts.

They usually just charge the same for the front and rear.

-Rich

Garrett booster

Depending on how soon you're looking for definite replies I may be in for a set for my csx-t. Just have to check finances when I get back from my honeymoon in november...we'll see how much she spends.

-Rich

Sure twist my rubber arm why don't you
    put me down for a set of fronts for an L body please. Hopefully these take a little while I'm still recovering from the K frame!

Sure twist my rubber arm why don't you
    put me down for a set of fronts for an L body please. Hopefully these take a little while I'm still recovering from the K frame!
    Kframe? What Kframe? j/k.

I should get the rest of the kframes back from powdercoating in a couple of days and I can ship them then.

I am marking you down for a front set. If everything goes well we will work on the Rampage rears too.

-Rich

This might seem like a stupid question, but are these gas charged, or can you change the oil in the cartridge?
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Quote Originally Posted by TopDollar69 View Post
    This might seem like a stupid question, but are these gas charged, or can you change the oil in the cartridge?
    They are a monotube shock so they will have a gas charge.

There is a warranty on the shocks and after the warranty is up they exchange out the shock body for $95 each plus shipping.

-Rich

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

Rich,

Will the BC camber plates require cutting the strut towers?
    Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

Quote Originally Posted by csxtra View Post
    Rich,

Will the BC camber plates require cutting the strut towers?
    The GJKHPA bodys wouldn't have camber adjustment unless the towers are modified. The hole in the stock tower is just too small. The lbody wouldn't require cutting.

For the GJKHPA cars I would probably make the plate with minimal adjustment that doesn't require cutting.

In thinking about it I might be able to come up with a design that will work for both people that cut and people that don't cut the towers. It will be a bit thicker than the stock design in order to recess the bolt tops but it should work well. Adjustment will be limited by the stock strut tower hole either way if it isn't enlarged. I will have to see what BC says about the design though.

If I can't get them to make the more complex design then the default would be to have a plate with no adjustment for the GJKHPA cars and we can work on an upgraded plate for those that are willing to cut the towers to get more adjustment. Even without the adjustment the rubber mount is removed which will give a more firm feel and eliminate extra sway from the suspension.

-Rich

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

-Rich
    does that include the camber plates?!

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    does that include the camber plates?!
    If BC produces the full kit with camber plates then yes $500 would get you the front struts, springs, and camber plates.

If I have to make a custom piece to adapt them then it would be a little more but still $600 or less.

So if we get enough people signed up then the front setup would be very nice and very affordable.

-Rich

Garrett booster

rich, at what point are you going to need a deposit. I'm ready whenever you're ready, autocross season is over, and I was able to just barely pull out a win in my class. I def. want this setup for next season so I can try to pull ahead a little further.

Quote Originally Posted by turboz523 View Post
    rich, at what point are you going to need a deposit. I'm ready whenever you're ready, autocross season is over, and I was able to just barely pull out a win in my class. I def. want this setup for next season so I can try to pull ahead a little further.
    It will probably be a week or two assuming they bite for 8 orders.

I think they probably will because I already did a proof of concept using parts that they already have with a custom plate for the fronts. The rears should also be possible to build with parts that they have and a few extras.

I think I can build the Kcar camber plate so that the same one can be used for people that cut and don't cut the towers. I just have to use a low profile cap bolt and recess the groove. That way it will actually be below the top of the plate. Without cutting adjustment will be limited by the hole in the tower rather than the bolts. The only problem is that it people that don't cut would have to remove the strut to make camber adjustments (which would be limited anyway so they should probably just set it to center).

They would be a 3/8" plate instead of 1/4" but with the BC's there is no strut travel loss so it doesn't matter.

I just have to see how much influence I can have over BC's plate design. They will probably want to do it their own way but even if that happens these can be made as an upgrade if theirs don't meet everything that mine can do.

The only difference from what I did before is to add the recess instead of it being a pure 2D design. This also makes them side specific so the cost would be slightly higher than just making a bunch of the same 2D plates that can be used on both sides.

Proposed GJKHPA Plate:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BC Kcar recessed bolt plate.gif 
Views:	256 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	26392

Proposed Lbody Plate:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BC Lbody recessed bolt plate.gif 
Views:	239 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	26393