Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Official BC Coilover Kit Development Interest.

Re: Official BC Coilover Kit Development Interest.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    That's what we did and with a 205/55R16 I'm confident that I still have enough thread engagement to do the job.

Here is a pic from the weekend when my wife was autocrossing the car.

While it looks like the car is cornering around the cones, it's actually stationary. What you're seeing is the effect of the rotation of the earth pulling on the car.

JUST kidding!! Joy shaved 25 seconds off her time from the first run to the last. She did really well.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    While it looks like the car is cornering around the cones, it's actually stationary. What you're seeing is the effect of the rotation of the earth pulling on the car.

JUST kidding!! Joy shaved 25 seconds off her time from the first run to the last. She did really well.
    I thought the same thing at first, but I did the calculations and the Daytona is actually just small enough for it not to be attributed to the coriolis effect.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

thanks Cordes for the input I still haven't aligned the car so I'm hoping the tire being as close to the fender lip as it is , is because of to much + camber and after an alignment it will gain some needed clearance..
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

turbo addict

Cordes, what spring rates are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Cordes, what spring rates are you using?
    Let me check. I know I went pretty conservative with them due to Joy driving the car often and the fact that we take a lot of road trips. On full soft the suspension is down right comfortable. Full hard isn't bad at all, just a tad annoying on rough roads.

- - - Updated - - -

Going through my records it looks like I'm using the 8K (448"lb.) springs. Now I'll need to decide what rate to run in the rear.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
    does anyone know if there is an off-road version to Bc coilovers? that way it would mean a taller ride for a skittle but enough adjustment for us..
    Sorry I have been busy lately and didn't see these posts.

The intention was that they should bolt on and give a good ride height. I can talk to BC about trying to get a slightly taller strut. I believe that the Impreza body might be compatible and slightly taller.

The real issue is that so many idiots are into the stance setup lately that they push BC to make shorter struts. The non lbody has such a tall stock shock mount that it is likely causing the height problem when we replace it with a normal plate.

I can have the spacers made to add that height back in or we can look into getting a taller strut.

Softer springs will also lower the car so it does make a difference if some like the height at 8k and yours is too low at 6k.

Anyway send me a PM and we will figure it out and make it work.

-Rich

I still have my old struts out in the garage. I can take measurements of the hats if it's needed. They are obviously quite a bit taller than the plates in there now.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    That's what we did and with a 205/55R16 I'm confident that I still have enough thread engagement to do the job.

Here is a pic from the weekend when my wife was autocrossing the car.

Joy did a great job. She beat Tony's best time.

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Joy did a great job. She beat Tony's best time.
    Thanks. She had a great time and is asking to go around here soon.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    I can have the spacers made to add that height back in or we can look into getting a taller strut.

Softer springs will also lower the car so it does make a difference if some like the height at 8k and yours is too low at 6k.

Anyway send me a PM and we will figure it out and make it work.

-Rich
    pm sent
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

I called BC today to see what the options are and they agreed to let me start ordering the struts in +20mm or +40mm lengths in the future. Previously that would have been much more expensive but given the issues with stance guys wanting lower and lower struts it opens the door for us to order longer and longer ones.

If someone has shocks that are too short send me PM and I can try to work something out with you that makes it right.

I can also offer a deal on longer replacement cartridges (basically at my cost) if desired so that people have a second longer set for their existing hardware.

I can also make spacers if desired but overall I would like to avoid that option.

I really want these to be bolt on where everyone is happy.

-Rich

That's great to hear Rich. I'm happy with where ours sits now, but if I get another car I'll certainly go longer in the future since it they will be for my preference and not my wife's.

Rich, is there an option for just buying the struts and shocks and how adjustable are these? I see the ones at the bottom of your order page have a 30 way adjustment. Is this the same for all of the BC struts/shocks?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Perhaps have an omni setup for the srt bc's, amd then use the imprezza bc's for the other "taller" strut body styles.

Hybrid booster

Anyone hear from Rich lately? I was talking to him about spacers but haven't heard back from him. I really thought these were a direct bolt in, and having my car up on blocks with no front suspension and coil overs that won't work really sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wastelands Warrior View Post
    Anyone hear from Rich lately? I was talking to him about spacers but haven't heard back from him. I really thought these were a direct bolt in, and having my car up on blocks with no front suspension and coil overs that won't work really sucks!
    Sorry about that. Things are busy with my day job at the moment.

I will work on drawing the spacers this weekend and get them to the waterjet shop for next week.

I am sorry about them being too low for your taste and I will take care of it but unfortunately it can't happen instantly.

-Rich

Here is a preview for the requested 1/2" spacer that will go above the camber plates to increase ride height.

After thinking about this a bit and doing a few drawings I believe that the best solution is a spacer on the camber adjuster. This avoids clearance issues when adjusting caster and is a smaller lighter piece.

This simple spacer could also be used on lbody applications if desired.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BC coilover spacer.gif 
Views:	104 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	46045

The spacers will include longer bolts.

For future orders I will increase the length of the shocks by 20 or 40mm as requested making the spacers an option only for customers that want even higher ride heights for their application.

I will send the design to the machinist tomorrow and talk to him on Monday about production time.

-Rich

Hybrid booster

WOOT! WOOT! Looks awesome, Rich!

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Rich, is there an option for just buying the struts and shocks and how adjustable are these? I see the ones at the bottom of your order page have a 30 way adjustment. Is this the same for all of the BC struts/shocks?
    Yes they are all 30 way adjustable. The ER series adds independent Bound and Rebound adjustment dials.

If you want just the shocks and struts without the adapter kit or any other BC supported application I can get them for you.

-Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    Yes they are all 30 way adjustable. The ER series adds independent Bound and Rebound adjustment dials.

If you want just the shocks and struts without the adapter kit or any other BC supported application I can get them for you.

-Rich
    That's good to know. I went to adjust the front strut the other day on the Konis and the tab at the top broke off. The ones on Cordes car were nice with the dial and it clicked well, gave me a good feeling about the quality of the pieces. If I switch over, I would only need the shocks and struts since I've already got your other stuff, which is awesome if I may say so.