Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official BC Coilover Kit Development Interest.

Hybrid View

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Unofficial BC Coilover Kit Development Interest.

All,

I have floated the idea out there a few times about selling BC coilovers.

These are a far superior design to the coilovers that we currently have available. The big advantage is that when they are lowered the shock body actually goes into the mount and doesn't lose ANY travel. Aditionally they can be valved to take pretty much any spring we want. 12k (675lb/in) springs are no problem.

My unofficial Frankenstein kit progress has been slow and after talking to the owner he said he wanted to consider an official kit but I need to be able to show that we want enough kits to do it!

There would initially be two different kits:

Lbody

and

GJKHPA body.

The kits would be $1000 shipped and would include:

Front Struts
    Rear Shocks
    Front and Rear Springs
    Spring Hats/Adjusters
    Bottom Spring mounts (non lbody)
    Bumpstops
    Dust Boots
    Front Camber Plates! (yes they are included in the $1k price but they don't currently offer caster adjustment)

It would be basically everything you would need to bolt them to the car. The only non true bolt on component would be that lbodys would have to use the GJKHPA spindles so we don't have to make custom strut mounts.

The shocks would be BR type: http://www.bcracing-na.com/products.php?view=BR_Type

Let me know if you are interested I need to get 5-10 people for each body style. So far I think off the record about 4-5 people have been waiting for me to get this done some for each body style.

It would take a month or so to get it done and I would also need a deposit of $100 or so to make sure you are serious.

Lets make a sign up list to see if we can get it done.

Lbody:

1) Badger (Rampage, fronts and rear when avail).
    2) DOHCRT
    3) 4cefedomni (Rampage, fronts only for now).
    4) omni_840
    5) black86glhs
    6) rx2mazda
    7) 30 PSI SHADOW (Rampage, fronts only)
    8) Regular grocery items are what you may possible spot on the Food Lion Ad.
    9)
    10)

Non Lbody:

1) Badger
    2) turboz523
    3) DOHCRT
    4) Austrian Dodge (fronts)
    5) csxtra
    6) 88 C/S
    7) MoparBCN
    8)
    9)
    10)

I will post some pictures of my prototype kit shortly.

-Rich

turbo addict

Re: Official BC Coilover Kit Development Interest.

I would be very interested. Just not at this moment. Neither of my omnis are running

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    I would be very interested. Just not at this moment. Neither of my omnis are running
    Irrelevant! My car doesn't run either but IMO it sure has some cool parts on it...

Get them running soon because I need to get as many people as I can if we are going to make this an official product.

I our cars are similar enough to some of their other stuff (SRT4/Neon/VW) that they can do it without too much development. If it weren't for that I really don't think they would even do it.

Either way we still need to try and show them that they can make a small amount of easy money or they probably won't do it.

-Rich

turbo addict

I would be interested too if I wasnt a poor college student.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

These are coming a little to late for me. I'm just subbing this year, so it's not in the cards. I will be heartbroken if they aren't offered when I can afford them though.

Garrett booster

count me in for a g body setup

Any chance it will take longer than that? I want one but coming up with a thousand extra dollars right now is gonna be tough.
    you can't polish a turd! [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT][/COLOR]13.67@100.11

Quote Originally Posted by 4cefedomni View Post
    Any chance it will take longer than that? I want one but coming up with a thousand extra dollars right now is gonna be tough.
    This is a car project everything always takes longer than the initial estimate....

-Rich

Garrett booster

Damn tempting, but what I'm going to do with my extra Konis then

Garrett booster

I've been through all this with BC and had the RM series all spec'd out with them for full G body weights for a street/road race setup for my RT, but I am yet to take the plunge, there are several other companies I'm also interested in.

I'm running the RM series on a 3kgt with no problems as yet, even if it has probably only done a 1000 miles on them so far, but they still have limited adjustability and fixed bump rates at either end of the scale.

I've had innumerable amounts of calculations done on rates/valving/volume/viscosity etc etc to make the perfect suspension for my 87z for circuit racing, but it is now looking as though the k-frame, wishbones and knuckles will go so no need to build specific shock bodies...

The BC shocks, all be it budget solutions, have some great features you wouldn't normally get without spending a lot more money and are well manufactured with good product support IMHO.

Mr Bryant, Have you considered the RM series? They are only marginally more expensive, save on unsprung weight and are quite possibly stiffer by virtue of design.

This is my original thread on BM- Custom Coilovers

Quote Originally Posted by Garffus View Post
    I've been through all this with BC and had the RM series all spec'd out with them for full G body weights for a street/road race setup for my RT, but I am yet to take the plunge, there are several other companies I'm also interested in.

I'm running the RM series on a 3kgt with no problems as yet, even if it has probably only done a 1000 miles on them so far, but they still have limited adjustability and fixed bump rates at either end of the scale.

I've had innumerable amounts of calculations done on rates/valving/volume/viscosity etc etc to make the perfect suspension for my 87z for circuit racing, but it is now looking as though the k-frame, wishbones and knuckles will go so no need to build specific shock bodies...

The BC shocks, all be it budget solutions, have some great features you wouldn't normally get without spending a lot more money and are well manufactured with good product support IMHO.

Mr Bryant, Have you considered the RM series? They are only marginally more expensive, save on unsprung weight and are quite possibly stiffer by virtue of design.

This is my original thread on BM- Custom Coilovers
    I have a full setup on my 87 GLHS right now but I still haven't finished the engine swap. Oh and there is that part about my frame getting pulled out to copy for everyone.

The RAM and ER series would be no problem for the front struts. We should be able to do RAM series rears but the ERs might be harder. I wouldn't recommend the RAM series because they don't tend to last as long as the BR series does.

The challenge is more about the mounting than the valving. I am targeting more of the economy crowd to get this going but after we get the initial batch made we could expand to the higher end.

-Rich

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

mmm BC coilovers... I need them for my Magnum (same price even...) before the T-Ms though.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Wait...the plates are INCLUDED?! AAGGGGHH!!!!!! You're killin' me Rich.....killin' me.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Wait...the plates are INCLUDED?! AAGGGGHH!!!!!! You're killin' me Rich.....killin' me.
    This assumes that they actually make them... Originally I had planned on making an adapter bushing to use my plates with their struts. I even have the bushings in stock for it and I spent over $200 to make the bushings.

Then I got their plates for an SRT4 and they didn't quite work so I made some adapter plates for their adjusters and planned on selling those... Now they say they want to provide the adapter plates. IF they make them then the plates will be based on my design so they are compatible with the footprint of my plates.

I know what you are saying though. It wasn't my intention to sell people plates and then months later come up with something that could be considered better.

The plates I designed are still the best bet for running Koni struts or other existing coilover products which is what they were intended for in the first place... I still have inventory for my camber plates so I am killing myself too...

Their pricing structure is such that no matter what they include in the kit it is the same price so they are basically a free addon. The only extras I ever see them do are for rear camber plates on strut cars (which don't apply to us).

If it would make you feel better I can work on BCs without the plates for the same $1000 but others might not like it...

One thing to consider though is that the BC camber plates don't come with caster adjustment... I will see if I can get them to add it but right now they are camber only plates.

-Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    This assumes that they actually make them... Originally I had planned on making an adapter bushing to use my plates with their struts. I even have the bushings in stock for it and I spent over $200 to make the bushings.

Then I got their plates for an SRT4 and they didn't quite work so I made some adapter plates for their adjusters and planned on selling those... Now they say they want to provide the adapter plates. IF they make them then the plates will be based on my design so they are compatible with the footprint of my plates.

I know what you are saying though. It wasn't my intention to sell people plates and then months later come up with something that could be considered better.

The plates I designed are still the best bet for running Koni struts or other existing coilover products which is what they were intended for in the first place... I still have inventory for my camber plates so I am killing myself too...

Their pricing structure is such that no matter what they include in the kit it is the same price so they are basically a free addon. The only extras I ever see them do are for rear camber plates on strut cars (which don't apply to us).

If it would make you feel better I can work on BCs without the plates for the same $1000 but others might not like it...

One thing to consider though is that the BC camber plates don't come with caster adjustment... I will see if I can get them to add it but right now they are camber only plates.

-Rich
    Oh I was just giving you a hard time. Believe me, I'm always impressed with your work. I don't have an immediate need for the struts, but I'll think about getting the setup for the future. As always,
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Oh I was just giving you a hard time. Believe me, I'm always impressed with your work. I don't have an immediate need for the struts, but I'll think about getting the setup for the future. As always,
    Thanks,

I can totally understand that it sucks to see a new thing come out right after you just bought the original camber plates.

These are a different application because they require the BCs but still I feel for you and can only say that it wasn't my intention to suddenly spring a new thing when I am still selling the old one.

-Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    Thanks,

I can totally understand that it sucks to see a new thing come out right after you just bought the original camber plates.

These are a different application because they require the BCs but still I feel for you and can only say that it wasn't my intention to suddenly spring a new thing when I am still selling the old one.

-Rich
    Absolutely not man. I know you're always thinking and coming up with new ideas. If I can afford to do it I will.

Garrett booster

so Rich you have adapters made up to use the bc stuff with your camber plates? If so I might be more interested in that since I'm going for as much positive caster as I can get and your plates are caster adjustable...that and I already opened up the holes and modified them some more to get an additional 1/2 degree positive Also, I'm wondering if my car might benefit from one of the higher levels of shock/strut that they offer, since I primarily autocross the car and the spring rates are going to be over 500lbs? What's your opinion on that?

Quote Originally Posted by turboz523 View Post
    so Rich you have adapters made up to use the bc stuff with your camber plates? If so I might be more interested in that since I'm going for as much positive caster as I can get and your plates are caster adjustable...that and I already opened up the holes and modified them some more to get an additional 1/2 degree positive
    I have the adapter bushings for my plates ready to go so it is an option.

I will try to get them to add caster to the plates but I can't really guarantee that.

I can make a custom top plate that has the same footprint and caster adjustment as my originals that bolts to their center adjuster (that is what I currently have on my GLHS). The only downside to that is that I have to make the plates so they would probably be $100 extra or so If I have to make them where if they make them they just include them in the price.

Quote Originally Posted by turboz523
    Also, I'm wondering if my car might benefit from one of the higher levels of shock/strut that they offer, since I primarily autocross the car and the spring rates are going to be over 500lbs? What's your opinion on that?
    Well the external reservoir (ER) struts are better. I think those are $1000 for just the fronts but I would have to double check on that price.

Either strut can take the 500lb springs but the ERs have more oil in the external reservoir and they are a true double adjustable strut.

I think you could run the ER fronts with the regular BR rears without a problem. Most of the work is done in the front of the car so that is where you really need the best stuff while the rear is kind of along for the ride.

The BRs still adjust both bound and rebound through their 30 way adjustment but it is from a single adjustment point so it is not an independent adjustment.

-Rich

Hybrid booster

Sorry for my ignorance, but can we still use the stock lbody spindles if we put spacers in between the strut and spindle? Are the distance between the strut holes different?

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast