Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Official BC Coilover Kit Development Interest.

Garrett booster

Re: Official BC Coilover Kit Development Interest.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserDad View Post
    I did my towers a few years ago, and used a hole saw. Now that I have a plasma cutter, I would highly recommend it, instead.

Definitely tape and cover the entire engine compartment, before drilling. You will never be able to get rid of some of the filings, and they will rust.
    I think the holesaw makes a very clean hole, even if it is messy while you're doing it. The strut towers on my wagon were cut with a plasma cutter and they look horrendous. I want to fix it some day, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by INVUJerry View Post
    I think the holesaw makes a very clean hole, even if it is messy while you're doing it. The strut towers on my wagon were cut with a plasma cutter and they look horrendous. I want to fix it some day, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it.
    For the best look I think cutting the tower slightly bigger than the reinforcement plates and then welding the plates to the towers on the inside and outside.

Then grinding the welds smooth would give the best results. I plan on doing that when/if I get the whole car painted.

-Rich

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Are ER the only double adjustable option?
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Are ER the only double adjustable option?
    Yes, the ER series is the only double adjustable that we can get.

HR is inverted double adjustable but not available for our cars (and like its little brother the inverted RM series it is really a race only option anyway).

-Rich

Garrett booster

I attempted using a hole saw to cut the holes, but I guess I really needed to weld the template first. The hole saw just wanted to bounce around and not stay centered. I ended up using a cut off wheel and die grinder. It took a lot of time and patience, I made the hole slightly bigger than the rings. As someone else mentioned, cover and tape the engine bay as it makes a big mess. I ended up painting where there was bare metal and to limit the chances of rusting. I think the end result turned out good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drivers_strut_tower.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	277.3 KB 
ID:	61188   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drivers_strut_tower1.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	61189   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	passenger_strut_tower1.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	61190   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	passenger_strut_tower3.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	248.5 KB 
ID:	61191  

I did the same, used a dremel for the finer work. Looks good installed and since you'll never see underneath it, anything to keep it from rusting is good. When I had the first iteration of camber plates for my GLHS, I tried to keep the hole simple and just cut a notch in the turn up collar of the metal. Once I got the next version for the BCs, I just cut the hole the size of the rings and never looked back.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I think I may get a front set of these coilovers for Project LookOwt soon. Has Eibach 2801's and Koni's on it now, but they have been cut so much that the left front strut is hitting the strut mount on hard bumps causing a lot of jarring. But, I like the stance it has...
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Garrett booster

Re: Unofficial BC Coilover Kit Development Interest.

I have yet to drive my car with these on it yet, but they sure look awesome on the car.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_III View Post
    I attempted using a hole saw to cut the holes, but I guess I really needed to weld the template first. The hole saw just wanted to bounce around and not stay centered. I ended up using a cut off wheel and die grinder. It took a lot of time and patience, I made the hole slightly bigger than the rings. As someone else mentioned, cover and tape the engine bay as it makes a big mess. I ended up painting where there was bare metal and to limit the chances of rusting. I think the end result turned out good.
    There are two good methods to cut larger holes, with a holesaw. One is to bolt a block of wood to the underside of the strut tower, for the drill bit to stay centered. The best way is to put another hole saw, just slightly smaller than the original hole, inside the larger one. That will keep the outer saw centered, even though there's nothing for the bit to bite into.

Garrett booster

Finally got the car on the ground after 5 months. Stance looks awesome with these coilovers. I'll take some photos as soon as the thick layer of dust is washed off.

I want to say thanks to Rich and anyone else involved in making these products possible, amazing the time and effort some of you still put into the TD community!!!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    Yes, the ER series is the only double adjustable that we can get.

HR is inverted double adjustable but not available for our cars (and like its little brother the inverted RM series it is really a race only option anyway).

-Rich
    Was looking at your page. Are the ER series only available for the Lbody? I just got an 09 CSRT 4 with BC's on it and really like them. I was going to take the Koni's off my Daytona and upgrade to your BC stuff but if I can get ER's for it then I'd probably get those vs the BR's.

I might also have to buy some extra front plates so I have camber/caster adjustment on my Shelby Lancer when I put the Konis and Eibachs on it.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Was looking at your page. Are the ER series only available for the Lbody? I just got an 09 CSRT 4 with BC's on it and really like them. I was going to take the Koni's off my Daytona and upgrade to your BC stuff but if I can get ER's for it then I'd probably get those vs the BR's.

I might also have to buy some extra front plates so I have camber/caster adjustment on my Shelby Lancer when I put the Konis and Eibachs on it.
    ER fronts are available for the Lancer but not the rears. The top mounts on the daytona are more rare in other applications. It might be possible to do a custom bottom mount or top mount with the ERs but they wouldn't "bolt in." My first thought would be to make them mount through the body on the top side similar to an lbody but it would require drilling and possibly reinforcement of the area. IIRC it might interfere with the rear speaker location on some of the cars.

I can do a setup with ER fronts and BR rears which would work well and give most of the benefits of the ERs.

-Rich

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I've always wanted to get BC Coilovers for my Caliber SRT. They look so much better lowered. I will eventually, but it seems there are 'support' mods you have to do, to do it right as far as I've heard. Like rear camber arms, front sway bar extension links.....the price goes beyond $1k fast.

Garrett booster

Front sits a little too low for my taste, going to have to raise it just a bit yet.

For others that have installed these, what's a safe amount to raise it. The strut is currently level with the bottom of the mount that bolts to the spindle.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    ER fronts are available for the Lancer but not the rears. The top mounts on the daytona are more rare in other applications. It might be possible to do a custom bottom mount or top mount with the ERs but they wouldn't "bolt in." My first thought would be to make them mount through the body on the top side similar to an lbody but it would require drilling and possibly reinforcement of the area. IIRC it might interfere with the rear speaker location on some of the cars.

I can do a setup with ER fronts and BR rears which would work well and give most of the benefits of the ERs.

-Rich
    Was thinking about just a set of ER double adjustable fronts. People seem to get away with srt4 struts on APGJ cars though I remember not having much drop available. RWD weight transfer seems to like one setting soft and the other setting firm. Santhuffs or something in rear.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I've always wanted to get BC Coilovers for my Caliber SRT. They look so much better lowered. I will eventually, but it seems there are 'support' mods you have to do, to do it right as far as I've heard. Like rear camber arms, front sway bar extension links.....the price goes beyond $1k fast.

If I can get under the car before winter I'll look at the front sway bar links and see if there are camber arms. I don't think there are from peaking at the exhaust the other day. I have an alignment printout from when it was done and while it's no where near where I'd set the car up at it at least drives straight and doesn't seem to be chewing tires. I don't care about the looks. I want to raise it so the front a-arms are parallel to the ground instead of pointing up so I'll have to raise the back some as well. It'll also keep the nose from scraping all the time if you don't watch it and sometimes even if you do. But I need to get a wrench as the car didn't come with one.

Rich are wrenches available seperately and what do they run??

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    If I can get under the car before winter I'll look at the front sway bar links and see if there are camber arms. I don't think there are from peaking at the exhaust the other day. I have an alignment printout from when it was done and while it's no where near where I'd set the car up at it at least drives straight and doesn't seem to be chewing tires. I don't care about the looks. I want to raise it so the front a-arms are parallel to the ground instead of pointing up so I'll have to raise the back some as well. It'll also keep the nose from scraping all the time if you don't watch it and sometimes even if you do. But I need to get a wrench as the car didn't come with one.

Rich are wrenches available seperately and what do they run??

Spanner wrenches are $25/pair plus shipping. That includes both the one for the front and the one for the rear.

-Rich

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

If I got just a front set for my '91 V6 Daytona, could I get a spring rate that matched the Eibach 2804 springs? I like how it sits right now, the back works fine but the fronts have been cut so much it's bottoming out the Koni struts. The front currently sits at about the same height as Turbo III's car is (couple posts above this one), if that's a standard height for the BC's to work properly, that would be perfect. I just would like the spring rate to match the front 2804 Eibachs since I'd be leaving the rears in and don't want the handling to be thrown due to mismatched rates.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_III View Post
    Front sits a little too low for my taste, going to have to raise it just a bit yet.

For others that have installed these, what's a safe amount to raise it. The strut is currently level with the bottom of the mount that bolts to the spindle.

The minimum thread engagement was posted earlier in this thread. I had the same question when I put them on Joy's 89 Daytona. Do you have the version with the longer rod in them, or the SRT4 length rod?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    The minimum thread engagement was posted earlier in this thread. I had the same question when I put them on Joy's 89 Daytona. Do you have the version with the longer rod in them, or the SRT4 length rod?
    I'm not sure if they have the longer rod or not, I do have the 1/2 spacers installed as well. I just bought them in May. I guess this would be a question for Rich.